By using this site, you agree to our Privacy Policy and our Terms of Use. Close

Forums - Nintendo Discussion - What reason do u have for not wanting Nintendo to unify their platforms?

Soundwave said:
HyrulianScrolls said:
How could the console be much or any more powerful than Wii U and how could it be an effective handheld from a battery standpoint? If they have some true genius masterminds that can figure those two things out, then fine I guess. But I don't see a fusion console that doesn't sacrifice power on the console side and durability on the portable side being a reality. Both the console and portable aspects take hits. It's like combining both to make both inferior products. I think it would be a huge fail, and this time they wouldn't have a successful portable market to fall back on like the 3DS.

Mobile processors by 2016 will be quite powerful. The Tegra X1 which is launching *this* May in a $200 mini-console from Nvidia (sold at a profit with 3GB RAM no less) generates about XBox 360/PS3 visuals, maybe slightly bigger. It runs Crysis 3 for example. This is a mobile, smartphone/tablet chip mind you. 

Lets say Nintendo had a similar class of chip for the NX portable. 

If they put three of those in a box for the NX console (brother system), it would be a fairly large upgrade over the Wii U. 

Nothing to throw a party about OK, fine, but Nintendo's games already look fantastic on the Wii U really. Something that's even a nice sized upgrade over that would be OK I think. 

OK great, but then what are we looking at from a battery standpoint when it's used as a portable? I'm no techie, so I really don't know but I wouldn't imagine a decent portable battery life being very feasible.

Around the Network

The only people that want a hybrid are the ones that only get a nintendo console because of nintendo games. And nintendo know that those kind of people are not faitfull, and only buy the best AAA games, because the rest of the time they will buy games for theirs PCs, tablets and PS4. There is not worse client for nitnendo than the ones that only buys the mario and zeldas, and ignore the bayonettas, the pikmins, the kirbys.

While i agree taht all nintendo consoles should support all the engines avaible, like unity and unreal, shraing a library would be very risk, even if was a hybrid like people points to. Why:

1.People would only care about crossbuy games, nobody would go and buy a smash bros game for the portable AND for the console if they have the same gameplay and functions, only getting a litle facelift because of the power of the console. Nintendo knew taht and put out 2 version with the same characters, yeah, but different scenarios, modes, etc. And with3 months apart of the launch of each other. Not the same game on the same day.

2. When N64 shinkred the market, they had the gameboy collor carry them. When the GC failed, they had the GBA. With wiiU, 3DS put them afloat, but barely. If NX fail, what will back them up? Amiibos? Very risk move if they put allt heir eggs on a basket.

3. This is not what vita tried to do? be a mini PS3? It doesn't had uncharted, assassins, batman, litle big plannet, killzone and all those multi million sellers franchises? All of them were good games in their own terms, but yet failed so bad for everyone involved. I mean, it worked great for indies and some jrpg, but thats is on japan. Later in his life, they tried to sell it a a machine to play ps4 remotely. It worked? I think not... And now everyone excited taht nitnendo would do the same... cannot you see what is ritgh in front of you?

4. Lack of focus. Look at wiiu. As much as i hate to say, it is seemed as a extension of the idea of 2 screens from the DS, and failed horrible. First we had games that tried to sell on assymetrical gameplay
(NSMBU, Nintendoland - 2013), them they tried to sell on the off play TV(Mario kart8, DKCTF), and now they are trying to push the idea of a changing between the screens(Splatoon, Star fox, Kirby). I mean, they are struggling hard to discover what will really work on wiiu, and all this because of trying to use ideas from theirs most sucessfull handheld, without actually committing totally with any of them.

5. Different experiences. The portable and home console experience are very different, and not all of them are suitted for one or another. In handhels, you can have ok graphics, and most players would barely notice, since the gameplay is there, and is short and can be played in sections. Multiplayer in portable are not that fundamental too, like it is on home consoles. Imagine that the next zelda will have shorter dugeons because of that. Imagine that the next fire emblem will problems of performace on the handheld because they didn't want the game to look bad on the wiiu, etc.

6. Inferior hardware holding back developers vision. Ice climbers happened on the Smash for Wiiu and 3DS. You really think that this would not happen again? Really believe on that? Imagine if mario 3d world was actually the same game than 3d land, only with better assets(what a lot of people alreadly think it is...)

I'm not saying that good things would not come out from it too. If this was limited to virtual console, woud be perfect, with cross save and crossbuy functionalitily, more releases that would be same anyway. But hey, i don't buy a console because of that, and don't matter how people moan,no good number of people would buy just for it too. I want a full fleged experience when i buy a console. I want all game to use the the power that it has, and nitnendo alwaye deliver on this aspect. Don' matter for me if every now and then a game comes out exclusivily for the handheld or the console, at least i know that the game has the maximum quality possible.

Know what i think? That people that want the same games are that ones that like to put a list on the forums trying to argue who has the best exclusives, or that kind of people that want to say that they played all the best exclusive games made by nintendo that year, even if they did not really finished half of them. This is sad, when people have their consume controlled by hype, and think that people against it are being irational.,

For casuals, that only play games for 2 weeks, the games would be as better as they aways were, but for real fans, we would see the drop on quality, something rare these days.

"Hardware design isn’t about making the most powerful thing you can.
Today most hardware design is left to other companies, but when you make hardware without taking into account the needs of the eventual software developers, you end up with bloated hardware full of pointless excess. From the outset one must consider design from both a hardware and software perspective."

Gunpei Yoko

What is so different in experience between NSMB 2 and NSMBU?

Smash Bros. 3DS and Smash Bros. U?

Mario 3D Land and Mario 3D World?

Mario Kart 7 and 8?

Are Zelda: MM and Zelda: OoT unplayable or unenjoyable on the 3DS even though they were conceived as console only titles?

Would you not want to play a proper Pokemon RPG on your TV or is that only fun on a smaller screen?

Would you enjoy your Wii U less if you could just take the Game Pad with you outside the house and play on the subway for example?

I don't think these arguments really hold up to be honest.

shikamaru317 said:
HyrulianScrolls said:
How could the console be much or any more powerful than Wii U and how could it be an effective handheld from a battery standpoint? If they have some true genius masterminds that can figure those two things out, then fine I guess. But I don't see a fusion console that doesn't sacrifice power on the console side and durability on the portable side being a reality. Both the console and portable aspects take hits. It's like combining both to make both inferior products. I think it would be a huge fail, and this time they wouldn't have a successful portable market to fall back on like the 3DS.

I'm thinking a custom AMD Carrizo-L (low power) based APU for the handheld and a custom AMD Carrizo based APU for the console. I could be wrong here, but I'm thinking they'd be able to get between 200-300 gflops (360/PS3 equivalent) for $200-250 with a 4 hour battery life (while gaming) for the handheld and 900-1000 gflops for $250-300 for the console. That's assuming a launch between Q4 2016 and Q2 2017. The Carrizo APU would allow easy porting between the NX console, PS4, XB1 and PC.

Yup that would be more than doable. 

Apple A9 processor likely launching this fall will probably punch well in excess of 250 GFLOPS too. The A10 (iPhone 7 in 2016?) will probably be well over 350 GFLOPS. 

Because the console version will be pretty bad, even by Nintendo standards. The hardware will have to be the same as on the handheld version, meaning a really weak home console and an overpriced handheld.

From Nintendo's view, it would halve hardware sales... everyone buys a handheld and sees no need for the home console version

NintenDomination [May 2015 - July 2017]

- Official  VGChartz Tutorial Thread - 

NintenDomination [2015/05/19 - 2017/07/02]

Here lies the hidden threads. 

| |

Nintendo Metascore | Official NintenDomination | VGC Tutorial Thread

| Best and Worst of Miiverse | Manga Discussion Thead |
[3DS] Winter Playtimes [Wii U]

Around the Network

Fusion is the best idea for Nintendo, Handheld Owners >< Home Console Owners. And if a few games are overpowered for the mobile hardware , they can be exclusive to the home console.

Soundwave said:

What is so different in experience between NSMB 2 and NSMBU?

Smash Bros. 3DS and Smash Bros. U?

Mario 3D Land and Mario 3D World?

Mario Kart 7 and 8?

Are Zelda: MM and Zelda: OoT unplayable or unenjoyable on the 3DS even though they were conceived as console only titles?

Would you not want to play a proper Pokemon RPG on your TV or is that only fun on a smaller screen?

Would you enjoy your Wii U less if you could just take the Game Pad with you outside the house and play on the subway for example?

I don't think these arguments really hold up to be honest.

i think as hobbyists some of us live in this world that is cut off from the norm. THe facts is there is such thing as good enough. And to the general population people dont mind if something is good enough. Thats why stuff like angry birds and candy crush are so popular even though most of us wouldnt touch those.

RolStoppable said:

First off, the price of the hardware (Wii U and 3DS) is a problem because Nintendo messed up badly. This could be rectified by not making braindead decisions for future hardware. Nevermind that people had no problem to put down $400 for a Wii and a DS, so price isn't really such a big issue as you make it out to be.

Secondly, the reason why Nintendo should not entirely unify their platforms is because it would hold back both devices. Neither one would be allowed to do something that the other can't and that would be lame. Nintendo would forego having unique selling points, so the likely result would be that their overall hardware sales go down because people who used to own both devices before would now only own one.

Well for one, Wii/DS are a clear outlier and Nintendo has only ever seen those types of sales in one out of their 6 generations.

NES+Game & Watch-roughly 100 million units hardware and 500 million units software

SNES+Gameboy-roughly 100 million units hardware and 500 million units software

N64+Gameboy Color-roughly 100 million units hardware and 500 million units software

GC+Gameboy Advance-roughly 100 million units hardware and 500 million units software

Nintendo sold a pretty consistant amount of hardware & software in their first 4 generations, with the sales per region being pretty consistant as well, Americas-50 million, Japan-25 million, Others-25 million, give or take 5 million.

Another trend to note is that each generation their consoles declined with their handhelds increasing. This shows that people really aren't buying both devices as much as we are to believe. If people aren't buying both anyway than what is the point in heavily investing in two completely different devices? Why not divert resources to a common ecosystem.

When the herd loses its way, the shepard must kill the bull that leads them astray.

RolStoppable said:
zorg1000 said:

Well for one, Wii/DS are a clear outlier and Nintendo has only ever seen those types of sales in one out of their 6 generations.

NES+Game & Watch-roughly 100 million units hardware and 500 million units software

SNES+Gameboy-roughly 100 million units hardware and 500 million units software

N64+Gameboy Color-roughly 100 million units hardware and 500 million units software

GC+Gameboy Advance-roughly 100 million units hardware and 500 million units software

Nintendo sold a pretty consistant amount of hardware & software in their first 4 generations, with the sales per region being pretty consistant as well, Americas-50 million, Japan-25 million, Others-25 million, give or take 5 million.

Another trend to note is that each generation their consoles declined with their handhelds increasing. This shows that people really aren't buying both devices as much as we are to believe. If people aren't buying both anyway than what is the point in heavily investing in two completely different devices? Why not divert resources to a common ecosystem.

Yes, Nintendo sold consistently the same amount of hardware and software in a market that kept growing. In that sense, stagnation equates a decline.

The other trend is a result of better technology that was used to make games that the market didn't want, so the hardware struggled. Nintendo's handhelds remained unaffected by this decline for the longest time because their technology wasn't good enough to make the wrong games. What this means is that if Nintendo gets their act together and makes the right games for both devices, then we get something like the Wii and the DS. So that's the point of investing in two distinct experiences, because it means that the amount of people who buy both increases significantly. That doesn't rule out that many of Nintendo's longrunning IPs can be shared between both devices; but when it comes to new IPs, they could benefit tremendously from being something that sets them apart.

I'm pretty sure if NX is indeed a fusion/shared library concept, the console NX will still have some different type of wacky controller and said controller will then have a few unique/exclusive games specific to the console. It will however also probably have to have a traditional controller, but even the Wii had a Classic Controller. 

It just means the "tentpole" Nintendo games like Mario 3D, Mario 2D, Mario Kart, Zelda, DKC, etc. could be developed for both in one shot and shared on both. That would help Nintendo tremendously, and lets be honest ... these core Nintendo IP never really utilized the "alternative" game inputs of the Wii/DS is any huge, mind blowing way any how (aside from maybe the touch only Zelda games). 

They don't really need to even tailor said controller to casuals anymore ... the move to iPhone/Android covers that, they can just have the freedom to make whatever wacky type of controller they want next time out. 

A console that try to do too much is never a great gaming console

Bet reminder: I bet with Tboned51 that Splatoon won't reach the 1 million shipped mark by the end of 2015. I win if he loses and I lose if I lost.