By using this site, you agree to our Privacy Policy and our Terms of Use. Close

Forums - Nintendo Discussion - They've left the Wii U to die.

Is the Wii U doomed?

Yes 586 59.19%

No 404 40.81%

Total:990
oniyide said:
zorg1000 said:
oniyide said:

Western RPGS for one. No Elder Scrolls, Fallout or anythig like that. No sim racers either. nothin like a Forza or Gran Turismo, Grid. Where are the 3d fighters? Tekken and what not. 

And even then there were alot of genres that were wholly unrepresented. I can count the fighting games released on two hands maybe one. and a few of those are ports of older games. SO if you are a fighting game fan you are kinda screwed. (I am) 

It started out with a good library of JRPGs then that number went down but to be fair same happened to 360.

FPS oh boy. they made a few of these and teh few they did make kinda blew. IMHO Red Steel 2 iliked and 007 was good just about it.

sandbox/openworld might as well add this to the list of genres Wii didnt have the games it did get were ports from the prior generation. 

TPS same as above.

IMHO oustide the shovelware motion heavy stuff and the stuff Ninty was already making like your platformers. It was kind of a crappy system for anything else.

Wii had alot of RPGs, shooters and racing games (I'm not going to divide them up into sub-genres). Whether or not the developers took the time to make them good is irrelevant to our discussion.

As for the developers yes it is relevant if the games suck that means the genre is not getting a proper representation hence my original point. If i am a fighting game fan and the little bit of fighting games the system gets sucks then that system sucks for fighting games and i am missing out. Its not about point fingers i promise that the average joe does not care why something sucks. 

I am going to divide them into sub genres. Mario Kart plays alot differently than Need for Speed which plays differently from Forza. Thats why we have subgenres in the first place. Thats my whole point of saying its lacking in genres when whole styles of play is not represented, now if you want to ignore that to make the Wii look better we can stop right now becasue you do not or refuse to get it. 

I said the RPGs were fine, just that they became infrequent toward the end where the comp(PS3) was becoming more frequent and you ignored the western ones that dont exist. List me these shooters (FPS) and racing games. Im sure they pale in comparison to the comp in quality(subjective i know) and quantitiy(not subjective)

According to this sites game database, Wii had 31 fighting games, 94 racing games, 65 shooters in North America so yes these genres were well represented and they did feature different play styles from one another.

When the herd loses its way, the shepard must kill the bull that leads them astray.

Around the Network
zorg1000 said:
oniyide said:
zorg1000 said:
oniyide said:

Western RPGS for one. No Elder Scrolls, Fallout or anythig like that. No sim racers either. nothin like a Forza or Gran Turismo, Grid. Where are the 3d fighters? Tekken and what not. 

And even then there were alot of genres that were wholly unrepresented. I can count the fighting games released on two hands maybe one. and a few of those are ports of older games. SO if you are a fighting game fan you are kinda screwed. (I am) 

It started out with a good library of JRPGs then that number went down but to be fair same happened to 360.

FPS oh boy. they made a few of these and teh few they did make kinda blew. IMHO Red Steel 2 iliked and 007 was good just about it.

sandbox/openworld might as well add this to the list of genres Wii didnt have the games it did get were ports from the prior generation. 

TPS same as above.

IMHO oustide the shovelware motion heavy stuff and the stuff Ninty was already making like your platformers. It was kind of a crappy system for anything else.

Wii had alot of RPGs, shooters and racing games (I'm not going to divide them up into sub-genres). Whether or not the developers took the time to make them good is irrelevant to our discussion.

As for the developers yes it is relevant if the games suck that means the genre is not getting a proper representation hence my original point. If i am a fighting game fan and the little bit of fighting games the system gets sucks then that system sucks for fighting games and i am missing out. Its not about point fingers i promise that the average joe does not care why something sucks. 

I am going to divide them into sub genres. Mario Kart plays alot differently than Need for Speed which plays differently from Forza. Thats why we have subgenres in the first place. Thats my whole point of saying its lacking in genres when whole styles of play is not represented, now if you want to ignore that to make the Wii look better we can stop right now becasue you do not or refuse to get it. 

I said the RPGs were fine, just that they became infrequent toward the end where the comp(PS3) was becoming more frequent and you ignored the western ones that dont exist. List me these shooters (FPS) and racing games. Im sure they pale in comparison to the comp in quality(subjective i know) and quantitiy(not subjective)

According to this sites game database, Wii had 31 fighting games, 94 racing games, 65 shooters in North America so yes these genres were well represented and they did feature different play styles from one another.

that isnt an actual list. And how many of those games were WII games and not VC games? cause the latter doesnt really count. 

oniyide said:
zorg1000 said:

that isnt an actual list. And how many of those games were WII games and not VC games? cause the latter doesnt really count. 

I only took games that had physical releases.

When the herd loses its way, the shepard must kill the bull that leads them astray.

I disagree, Nintendo is realizing they need to be the ones providing the content, and have stepped up with their 1st party games.

3rd party games are best enjoyed via Steam. It's much easier to catch killer discounts on steam than pay top price for a console game.

What I do believe is that in general, the days of console gaming is coming to an end. I see a massive shift away from gaming on a TV to dominantly mobile gaming, or a smaller device with a VR headset system.

The Carnival of Shadows - Folk Punk from Asbury Park, New Jersey

http://www.thecarnivalofshadows.com 

zorg1000 said:
oniyide said:

so you shouldnt have a problem naming some of those games then? I would love to know all those fighters

Around the Network
Raze said:
I disagree, Nintendo is realizing they need to be the ones providing the content, and have stepped up with their 1st party games.

3rd party games are best enjoyed via Steam. It's much easier to catch killer discounts on steam than pay top price for a console game.

What I do believe is that in general, the days of console gaming is coming to an end. I see a massive shift away from gaming on a TV to dominantly mobile gaming, or a smaller device with a VR headset system.

Hasnt that what Ninty's been doing for years

As for Steam thats your opinion, one which alot of people dont share

Bofferbrauer said:
how did Nintendo left the Wii U there to die?

If they actually did, they would have already stopped development of their games for the consoles and announced the next one (NX doesn't count, a real presentation of their next console, not just a reminder for "hey, we're not fleeing the console market and going to become a smartphone developer" where we don't even know what NX really is)

If someone left the Wii U there to die, then it's the third party publishers. Nintendo did very much to get them back on board, as could be seen by the launch lineup with almost 20 non-Nintendo, Non-Indie and Non-Virtual Console games. But sales where low because most of these games where already out for some time, horribly optimized Xbox 360 versions with no extra incensitives (and in some cases, even cut content) to make them sell on the new console. So naturally, sales of these games where very bad and then their publishers jumped ship when they realised that 1-year-old games with no bonus or a lowered price attached don't sell a console.

Nintendo is still developing quite a few games for Wii U, and for sure also some yet unnanounced games. But they can only do so much alone. At least the Indie Developers are still there and some of their games are very good (Shovel Knight, Shantae and the Pirate's Curse, Giana Sisters Twisted dreams to name just a few gems)

I bought many of those games and what was DLC in the other versions was free in the Nintendo version. Otherwise I agree with the rest of your post.

oniyide said:
zorg1000 said:

so you shouldnt have a problem naming some of those games then? I would love to know all those fighters

Super Smash Bros. Brawl

Punch-Out!

Naruto: Clash of Ninja Revolution 1-3

WWE SmackDown vs. Raw 2008-2011

Dragon Ball Z: Budokai Tenkaichi 2-3

Tatsunoko vs. Capcom: Ultimate All-Stars

Victorious Boxers Revolution

Mortal Kombat Armageddon

Guilty Gear XX Accent Core/Plus

Teenage Mutant Ninja Turtles: Smash Up

Facebreaker KO Party

That's 18 fighting games that got decent-good scores (7.0+)

Yes they have, Wii U has been doomed, is in doom and will always be dooming throughout its life. But it's okay, their next console can't be any worse...unless some silly people think that the console version of their next platform will do worse because of some "trend".

forethought14 said:
Yes they have, Wii U has been doomed, is in doom and will always be dooming throughout its life. But it's okay, their next console can't be any worse...unless some silly people think that the console version of their next platform will do worse because of some "trend".

Wouldn't be the first time; a decade ago it was widely believed that Wii would sell worse than Gamecube because of "the trend".