By using this site, you agree to our Privacy Policy and our Terms of Use. Close

Forums - Nintendo Discussion - They've left the Wii U to die.

Is the Wii U doomed?

Yes 586 59.19%

No 404 40.81%

Total:990
SubiyaCryolite said:
Materia-Blade said:

Then explain what a core gamer is. Because nintendo's games are mostly very challenging and that certainly constitutes as core games.

Id define a core-gamer as a mainstream or niche gamer who doesnt play (or focus on) casual games. Extra points for:

• Anybody who reads reviews or visits sites like this
  • Anyone who buys consoles and games with their own money
  • Anybody who knows a decent amount of gaming history from whichever era they jumped in.
  • Anyone who doesnt trash genres or publishers they dont like for the hell of it.
  • Anyone who puts tons of hours into a game (probably more  than one)

Id define casual games as games with little to no depth or challenge: prime examples are most Facebook games or stereotypical mobile games. A casual game is also a game thats very easy to beat on its easiest difficulty. Another way of describing a casual game is a game an infant could easily beat because it requires little to no thought or strategy.

Id call a game like the Walking Dead casual (as much as I love it) , I'd call a game like Alien Isolation hardcore. That said games scale with difficlty, I'd call Mario Kart 8 hardcore because while anyone can play it it takes real skill to play it well. Same applies to a game like Battlefield 4 (online modes).

I do consider myself to be one type of core gamer, the mainstream core gamer. Emphasis on mainstream, this is very important (to sales) and I'll expand on this below. I started out with PC centric (niche) titles like Simcity, Dungeon Siege, Doom and Escape from Monkey Island before gravitating to mainstream "console-port" games like Prince of Persia, Battlefront, Grand Theft Auto, Far Cry and Need for Speed. These are my top 12 games (according to playtime) on Raptr. I'd call all of them (besides the Walking Dead, Ass Creed and maybe FFXIII) hardcore games. Please dont downplay them and act as if they are all buggy and uninspred.

• Dragon Age: Inquisition (PC)
  • Mass Effect 3(PC)
  • Mass Effect 2(PC)
  • The Witcher 2(PC)
  • Assassin's Creed IV: Black Flag (PC)
  • Final Fantasy XIIII (PC)
  • Battlefield 4 Battlefield 4 (PC)
  • Far Cry 3(PC)
  • Alien: Isolation (PC)
  • The Elder Scrolls V: Skyrim (PC)
  • Left 4 Dead 2 (PC)
  • The Walking Dead(PC)

Only two of them are on the Wii U, even though at least half of them are from the same era. None of the sequels or followups will ever be on the Wii U. So when I say the Wii U isnt a hardcore sytem, this is what I meant. Maybe the correct term is the  Wii U isnt a "mainstream core" system, which is what I suggested to Anfebious when I said it may be a "Nintendo-core system"

If you pay attention to the PC core games I mentioned, a PC or Console with only those games would sell quite badly as well. These games exist today primarily as crowd funded games to satisfy a dedicated and vocal niche, basically the same kind of customer that loves the Wii U. Dedicated and Vocal but totally niche regardless as evidenced by sales of hardware as well as games that dont cater to their taste (e.g Third Party gamers, including the non-broken ones).

To anyone who isnt a fan of Nintendo games or platfomers in general the Wii U is a very boring platform. The Wii had much more variety in this regard. Just one example, it had more faaar more JRPGS (Xenoblade, The Last Story, Tales of Symphonia, Pandoras Castle, another I cant remember but published by Xceed). Id argue that the Wii had more racers and fighters as well.

Currently the Wii U is bare bones to anyone who isnt "Nintendo-core" and unlike the competition its future doesnt inspire confidence. I KNOW the PS4 will have tons of fighters, tons of racers, tons of RPGs, tons of Action games and tons of shooters in its lifetime.  I cant say the same for the Wii U. You dont have to play any Sony exclusive to have a good time on the PS4, the same applies to the XBox. The Wii U without exclusives is a useless piece of plastic.

You can employ the Quality != Quantity scapegoat but most consumers do not put Nintendo on a pedestal and have no problem taking 5 games rated above 85 over 1 game rated above 90. To make matters the Wii U only has 3 games above 90 anyway theres not a huge gulf in quality as some would lke to pretend, PS4 should match or exceed it by this time next year. In fact throw personal preference in and a game can easily lose or gain 10 points based on the individual and their preferences.

I hope you get my point.

"Anyone who puts tons of hours into a game (probably more  than one)"

this was the only one with any connection o core gamer.

"Only two of them are on the Wii U, even though at least half of them are from the same era. None of the sequels or followups will ever be on the Wii U. So when I say the Wii U isnt a hardcore sytem, this is what I meant."

What you meant is that it isn't a core system FOR YOU.

"To anyone who isnt a fan of Nintendo games or platfomers in general the Wii U is a very boring platform."

It's funny how you say "nintendo games" as if it was a genre. "nintendo games" consist of a wide variety of franchises and genres that catters to an equally wide audience. Considering personal preferance, any platform can be considered very boring, no need to generalize the entire game output from nintendo.

"Currently the Wii U is bare bones to anyone who isnt "Nintendo-core" and unlike the competition its future doesnt inspire confidence. I KNOW the PS4 will have tons of fighters, tons of racers, tons of RPGs, tons of Action games and tons of shooters in its lifetime.  I cant say the same for the Wii U. You dont have to play any Sony exclusive to have a good time on the PS4, the same applies to the XBox. The Wii U without exclusives is a useless piece of plastic."

wow, another generalization. first of all, there is no comparison between wii u exclusives and ps4/x1 exclusives, wii u wins in both quantity and quality. more importantly is how those exclusives compare to third parties from the others. you said "I KNOW the PS4 will have tons of fighters, tons of racers, tons of RPGs, tons of Action games and tons of shooters in its lifetime" well, you don't, except for action and shooters. but will those games be good? so far, they don't compare well with wii u's exclusives.

Right now there are over 20 games I want on wii u and 0 on ps4. by the end of the gen those number should increase to over 40 and over 10, respectively. And this has nothing to do with me being a "nintendo gamer", it has to do with me being a gamer that likes good games.

"In fact throw personal preference in and a game can easily lose or gain 10 points based on the individual and their preferences."

Then why do you ignore your own words and say things like "wii u is bare bones to anyone who isn't nintendo core"?

Around the Network
Materia-Blade said:

"Anyone who puts tons of hours into a game (probably more  than one)"

this was the only one with any connection o core gamer.

"Only two of them are on the Wii U, even though at least half of them are from the same era. None of the sequels or followups will ever be on the Wii U. So when I say the Wii U isnt a hardcore sytem, this is what I meant."

What you meant is that it isn't a core system FOR YOU.

"To anyone who isnt a fan of Nintendo games or platfomers in general the Wii U is a very boring platform."

It's funny how you say "nintendo games" as if it was a genre. "nintendo games" consist of a wide variety of franchises and genres that catters to an equally wide audience. Considering personal preferance, any platform can be considered very boring, no need to generalize the entire game output from nintendo.

"Currently the Wii U is bare bones to anyone who isnt "Nintendo-core" and unlike the competition its future doesnt inspire confidence. I KNOW the PS4 will have tons of fighters, tons of racers, tons of RPGs, tons of Action games and tons of shooters in its lifetime.  I cant say the same for the Wii U. You dont have to play any Sony exclusive to have a good time on the PS4, the same applies to the XBox. The Wii U without exclusives is a useless piece of plastic."

wow, another generalization. first of all, there is no comparison between wii u exclusives and ps4/x1 exclusives, wii u wins in both quantity and quality. more importantly is how those exclusives compare to third parties from the others. you said "I KNOW the PS4 will have tons of fighters, tons of racers, tons of RPGs, tons of Action games and tons of shooters in its lifetime" well, you don't, except for action and shooters. but will those games be good? so far, they don't compare well with wii u's exclusives.

Right now there are over 20 games I want on wii u and 0 on ps4. by the end of the gen those number should increase to over 40 and over 10, respectively. And this has nothing to do with me being a "nintendo gamer", it has to do with me being a gamer that likes good games.

"In fact throw personal preference in and a game can easily lose or gain 10 points based on the individual and their preferences."

Then why do you ignore your own words and say things like "wii u is bare bones to anyone who isn't nintendo core"?

"this was the only one with any connection o core gamer."

Then the people who spend hundreds of hours in Solitaire, Minecraft, Farmville, Clash of Clans and a bazillion FTP games are all hardcore? 

"What you meant is that it isn't a core system FOR YOU."

Well duh, thats the whole point.  You would know if you actually read what I said. And thats the case for many others if sales are anything to go by. I specifically called myself mainstream core for a reason. Im guessing you deliberately ignored my comments about different type of core gamers and how the Nintendo core (on consoles) are niche much like the traditional PC Core who dont have Nintendo and have to fund a lot of their own games (Torchlight, Cities Skyline, Divinity, Wasteland etc). 

"Right now there are over 20 games I want on wii u and 0 on ps4. by the end of the gen those number should increase to over 40 and over 10, respectively. "

If only the world felt the same way, they dont.

"niche market is the subset of the market on which a specific product is focused. The market niche defines the product features aimed at satisfying specific market needs, as well as the price range, production quality and the demographics that is intended to impact. It is also a small market segment."

"And this has nothing to do with me being a "nintendo gamer", it has to do with me being a gamer that likes good games."

Ah, Good Games (tm). Thanks for pretending that good games dont exist or are limited on other systems. Also, list those 20 games if you dont mind, just to see what qualifies as a "good game" according to you. Experiences that are "so far above" what the PS4/X1 has to offer.

"wii u wins in both quantity and quality"

Prove it. Objectively if you can. Like serously, do it. Without subjective rants, cherrypicking, buzzwords, "its also on PC" and goalpoasts. Do it.

"It's funny how you say "nintendo games" as if it was a genre."

Are PC games a genre? Are console games a genre? Are Indie Games a genre? Are AAA games a genre? Dont waste my time with semantics, you know full well what I meant.

""nintendo games" consist of a wide variety of franchises and genres that catters to an equally wide audience."

The problem is that the Wii U will likely have 1-3 key titles in a genre and then nothing... absolutely nothing. How many open world JRPGs do you expect to have after Xenoblad Chronicles X? How many? Just take a wild guess. Do you honestly think that'll be more than the JRPGs the PS4 will get after Final Fantasy XV? Can you say that with a straight face?

Say I like fighters. Will Smash, Tekken Tag 2 and Injustice (all out) be enough to satisy me compared to Street Fighter V (and all hyper ultra editions), Killer Instinct, Mortal Kombat X, Tekken 7, Soul Calibur, Guilty Gear, Dead or Alive, Persona Arena, Blaz Blue, Guilty Gear, King of Fighters, X vs Capcom and lord knows what other fighting IPs will be introduced this gen?

Do this for every other genre know to man, apart from platformers the Wii U will probably lose. Sim Racers? Nope. Arcade Racers? Nope. 1st person shooters? Nope. 3rd person shooters? Nope. Horror Games? Nope. Action Games? Nope. Story Driven Games? Hell no. Strategy games? No. Mobas? lol no. Click and point games? Oddly no. Indie games? No. Stealth games? No. Co-op games? No. MMOs? No.

You could dismiss those games /genres and that would be nothing more than personal preference but for the hundredth time the mainstream (either core or casual) gamer would NOT. These games and 3rd party games in general matter weather you like it or not, no matter how lowly or highly you think of them. Quantity matters, period.

Qualtity also matters, it matters a lot. Good thing theres no huge gulf in quality. Haters ride the Driveclub, Halo MCC and AC Unity train and conveniently IGNORE all other games that werent buggy or didnt have online issues. Let me put this in context, Halo MCC is the only XBox exclusive to have significant online problems and/or bugs. EVERY OTHER game on XBox performs as expected. Outside of Driveclub and LBP I cant think of any buggy PS4 exclusive game. And dont you dare say Nintendo games dont have bugs because I experienced one this weekend in Mario Kart 8, my character got deformed (streched horizontally) after a gravity boost occured at the same time as lighting strike (shrink). Tons more are documented on Youtube, they simply arent as frequent or high profile but thery are definately there. I imagine if they had the same scope as the famous broken games (open world, 4 remasters in one, 64 players and destructability) they would choke just as hard if not harder.

Again, unless one has a strong affinity for Nintendo games (franchises) and platformers in particular there is absolutely no way of justifying a Wii U over a PS4/X1 to a mainstreamer in any genre.

Keep telling yourslef otherwise.

I predict that the Wii U will sell a total of 18 million units in its lifetime. 

The NX will be a 900p machine

Well mainstream is usually shit anyways.

Look at the movies, the "mainstream core" is... Transformer? Avatar? LOL

On the music the mainstream core is... Taylor Swift, Miley Cyrus, Pitbull...

The best things are rarely mainstream.

Goodnightmoon said:

Typical response, I wonder if you felt this way when the Wii was mainstream.

I predict that the Wii U will sell a total of 18 million units in its lifetime. 

The NX will be a 900p machine

SubiyaCryolite said:
Goodnightmoon said:

Typical response, I wonder if you felt this way when the Wii was mainstream.

Some mainstrem things are good, like many of the games that you said. Nintendo has many mainstream things too, like everything Mario related, but they have a more niche perspective that I love, with franchises like Metroid, Fire emblem, Pikmin, f-zero, Xenoblade and all that stuff. They are not afraid of making niche games with little teams, even being one of the biggest (if not the biggest) things on the industry, and that´s very good for creative purposes.

And I didn´t love the Wii, I like it, and I love many of its games. But the real mainstream stuff on the wii is not good in my eyes. That´s Wii sports (very original and revolutionay game, but anyone want to play it anymore, because without the novelty is mostly... crap) and mario Kart wii, probably the worst mario kart ever made and yet sold 35 millions. I think that GameCube was better, that was a very hardcore machine, and yet the poor thing sold like shit, why? we´ll never know., the mainstram market is very capricius and irrational. The best selling "anything" is rarely the best. Very rarely.

Around the Network
Hiku said:
Materia-Blade said:

what video game are we talking about? first, you seem to have the wrong impression that motion controls = casual =/= core, right? you can dislike motion controls all you want but dismissing it like this doesn't make any sense. nintendo never had a tablet, let alone a $100 one (yes, I know you're talking about the gamepad, I'm ironizing because of how inaccurate it is to say it's a $100 tablet). Nintendo didn't alienate third parties, actually, some third parties alienated nintendo AND it's consumers.

p.s: I remember the ps3 did force people to pay for an expensive blu ray player and it did alienate 3rd parties due to cell's architeture. Do you think ps3 is for the core gamers?

What videogame? All the non-Nintendo franchises and genres that people have been complaining about being absent from Nintendo consoles for decades now, with few exceptions. And now you're just playing a semantics game. Call them whatever you want. Core, casual, tablet/gamepad. The point remains the same. They forced people to use motion controls, which vastly appealed to a completely different audience. It worked fine when the casual gamers were still buying the console. But now that they're on mobile? There's a reason motion controls are not standard in any capacity, and that Microsoft even had to unbundle the Kinect. The people spoke with their wallets. They don't want to be forced to play with gimmics or pay that much extra for them.
The gamepad is a ridiculously expensive controler because of the touchscreen. Nintendo wanted a tablet like controller because they tried to catch lightning in a bottle again, and failed. Play with words all you like, this was Nintendo's mistake, not the people who they were trying to sell the console to.

And third parties alienated Nintendo? Are you serious right now? You're telling me that Nintendo wouldn't want third party games on their console? If so, this is probably the craziest viewpoint I've ever seen on this site.
No, its Konami who don't want to put MGS on their console. Capcom who don't want to put Street Fighter or Resident Evil (except Revalations 1 since its a 3DS title) on it. Square doesn't want to put Final Fantasy on it. Rockstar don't want to put GTA on it. Activision don't want to put more Call of Duty games on the console. (They got one because it was a 360 port, and no one knew how bad WiiU would sell at that point.)
It's not that Nintendo don't want third party titles. That's ridiculous. It's that developers don't want to bother making those games for WiiU.

And yes, Sony did alienate fans with their super expensive PS3. Don't you remember? Their sales suffered for it, and deservedly so. However, Sony actually did something about it. They ate millions in losses to bring down the price of the console and sold it at a loss for years, to win back consumer trust. Nintendo however have done absolutely nothing in this regard, and are still forcing people to pay full price for a tablet controler that people don't want to pay for. It's pretty much too late now though. Now it's not just the price of the console, but the lack of pretty much every single third party game in existence from here on out.

"They forced people to use motion controls, which vastly appealed to a completely different audience."

no and no. motion controls were a dream come true for any gamer AND it appealed to a different audience. and I don't get this "they forced" that you keep repeating, there were motion focused games, traditional button only games and mixed ones.

"There's a reason motion controls are not standard in any capacity, and that Microsoft even had to unbundle the Kinect. The people spoke with their wallets. They don't want to be forced to play with gimmics or pay that much extra for them."

omg, stop. kinect is a buttonless acessory, it's sucess or failure doesn't mean motion controls are/aren't standard, that goes for the wiimote. I can hardly see someone complaining about the wii remote + nunchuck. Go ahead and say you dislike it, but you can't prove that a wii mote + nunchuck like controller (buttons and motion) isn't ideal for gaming.

"And third parties alienated Nintendo? Are you serious right now? You're telling me that Nintendo wouldn't want third party games on their console?"

I'm telling you what? what did I say about nintendo not wanting third parties? I said some third parties did alienate nintendo and consumers. Try EA games with it's "unprecedented" support and ubisoft with the watch dogs BS (after doing the very opposite with rayman, both cases screwing nintendo fans)

zorg1000 said:
oniyide said:

but in the beginning they truly had somethign for everyone across all genres. Nothing was left out, that started to change with N64 got a bit better with GC then went to complete crap with WII and WIi U hasnt improved on that much on that front.

What genres did Wii not have tho?

Western RPGS for one. No Elder Scrolls, Fallout or anythig like that. No sim racers either. nothin like a Forza or Gran Turismo, Grid. Where are the 3d fighters? Tekken and what not. 

And even then there were alot of genres that were wholly unrepresented. I can count the fighting games released on two hands maybe one. and a few of those are ports of older games. SO if you are a fighting game fan you are kinda screwed. (I am) 

It started out with a good library of JRPGs then that number went down but to be fair same happened to 360.

FPS oh boy. they made a few of these and teh few they did make kinda blew. IMHO Red Steel 2 iliked and 007 was good just about it.

sandbox/openworld might as well add this to the list of genres Wii didnt have the games it did get were ports from the prior generation. 

TPS same as above.

IMHO oustide the shovelware motion heavy stuff and the stuff Ninty was already making like your platformers. It was kind of a crappy system for anything else.

Materia-Blade said:
oniyide said:

When your system is missing key games in key genres and in some cases whole genres are not on the system, kind of hard to call it a core system. 

doesn't that mean no console is made for core gamers? every console misses key games in key genres. missing whole genres is outright wrong.

PS systems usually say hi. And no dont try to pull some exclusive games out of nowhere clearly they are exclusive. BUt SOny gets most if not all the key multiplat games since they came in the biz, if they werent key 64 would have done way better than it did.

oniyide said:
zorg1000 said:

What genres did Wii not have tho?

Western RPGS for one. No Elder Scrolls, Fallout or anythig like that. No sim racers either. nothin like a Forza or Gran Turismo, Grid. Where are the 3d fighters? Tekken and what not. 

And even then there were alot of genres that were wholly unrepresented. I can count the fighting games released on two hands maybe one. and a few of those are ports of older games. SO if you are a fighting game fan you are kinda screwed. (I am) 

It started out with a good library of JRPGs then that number went down but to be fair same happened to 360.

FPS oh boy. they made a few of these and teh few they did make kinda blew. IMHO Red Steel 2 iliked and 007 was good just about it.

sandbox/openworld might as well add this to the list of genres Wii didnt have the games it did get were ports from the prior generation. 

TPS same as above.

IMHO oustide the shovelware motion heavy stuff and the stuff Ninty was already making like your platformers. It was kind of a crappy system for anything else.

Wii had alot of RPGs, shooters and racing games (I'm not going to divide them up into sub-genres). Whether or not the developers took the time to make them good is irrelevant to our discussion.

When the herd loses its way, the shepard must kill the bull that leads them astray.

zorg1000 said:
oniyide said:

TPS same as above.

Wii had alot of RPGs, shooters and racing games (I'm not going to divide them up into sub-genres). Whether or not the developers took the time to make them good is irrelevant to our discussion.

As for the developers yes it is relevant if the games suck that means the genre is not getting a proper representation hence my original point. If i am a fighting game fan and the little bit of fighting games the system gets sucks then that system sucks for fighting games and i am missing out. Its not about point fingers i promise that the average joe does not care why something sucks. 

I am going to divide them into sub genres. Mario Kart plays alot differently than Need for Speed which plays differently from Forza. Thats why we have subgenres in the first place. Thats my whole point of saying its lacking in genres when whole styles of play is not represented, now if you want to ignore that to make the Wii look better we can stop right now becasue you do not or refuse to get it. 

I said the RPGs were fine, just that they became infrequent toward the end where the comp(PS3) was becoming more frequent and you ignored the western ones that dont exist. List me these shooters (FPS) and racing games. Im sure they pale in comparison to the comp in quality(subjective i know) and quantitiy(not subjective)