By using this site, you agree to our Privacy Policy and our Terms of Use. Close

Forums - Nintendo Discussion - They've left the Wii U to die.

Is the Wii U doomed?

Yes 586 59.19%

No 404 40.81%

Total:990
DexInDaJungle said:
oniyide said:
zorg1000 said:

No, it is completely unreasonable to claim Nintendo stabbed fans in the back with Wii. If someone didn't like the console or games, that's fine, it still doesn't mean Nintendo betrayed anybody.

Nintendo published titles like Mario Galaxy 1+2, Metroid Prime 3, Twilight Princess, Xenoblade Chronicles, Donkey Kong Country Returns, among others. It's impossible to claim such titles aren't high-quality regardless if one likes them or not.

I think for him it was Ninty going the whole family route that might have him believe that they left core gamers out in the cold. I dont really agree and I can only speculate but, its kind of weird to say its unreasonable to think so. Maybe it is. Lets hear why he thinks so.

I didn't like the Wii at all but I don't think they intentionally went after the casuals. I think they tried to make a console that would appeal to the mass market while still releasing games for their core fan base and they did just that. Sadly, some of the more dedicated gamers didn't really like the whole wii mote thing and it quickly turned them off and then the casuals moved on to other things leaving Nintendo in it's current state where only the die hard Nintendo fans are left to support their home consoles.

I share your sentiments but they didnt really try to get the core gamer either. Most of the things core gamers care about were kinda ignored. HW being a big one, most want a generational leap when moving on to newer HW it doesnt have to be massive but it has to be something. Wii wasnt so you could tell where their priorities lie. The motion controls kinda sucked and were only good for stuff like dancing, exericise, really shovelware. Not to mention it missed a bunch of games. IMHO the 3rd party support was worse than the GC, but thats just me. 

But i still wouldnt say they stabbed people in the back. 

Around the Network
oniyide said:
DexInDaJungle said:
oniyide said:
zorg1000 said:

No, it is completely unreasonable to claim Nintendo stabbed fans in the back with Wii. If someone didn't like the console or games, that's fine, it still doesn't mean Nintendo betrayed anybody.

Nintendo published titles like Mario Galaxy 1+2, Metroid Prime 3, Twilight Princess, Xenoblade Chronicles, Donkey Kong Country Returns, among others. It's impossible to claim such titles aren't high-quality regardless if one likes them or not.

I think for him it was Ninty going the whole family route that might have him believe that they left core gamers out in the cold. I dont really agree and I can only speculate but, its kind of weird to say its unreasonable to think so. Maybe it is. Lets hear why he thinks so.

I didn't like the Wii at all but I don't think they intentionally went after the casuals. I think they tried to make a console that would appeal to the mass market while still releasing games for their core fan base and they did just that. Sadly, some of the more dedicated gamers didn't really like the whole wii mote thing and it quickly turned them off and then the casuals moved on to other things leaving Nintendo in it's current state where only the die hard Nintendo fans are left to support their home consoles.

I share your sentiments but they didnt really try to get the core gamer either. Most of the things core gamers care about were kinda ignored. HW being a big one, most want a generational leap when moving on to newer HW it doesnt have to be massive but it has to be something. Wii wasnt so you could tell where their priorities lie. The motion controls kinda sucked and were only good for stuff like dancing, exericise, really shovelware. Not to mention it missed a bunch of games. IMHO the 3rd party support was worse than the GC, but thats just me. 

I actually feel like they got a pass in terms of HW the first year or so simply due to people being excited about what motion controls could bring. Once people saw it was actually really bad, they went back to the more conventional consoles. But yeah I 100% agree, the wii mote completely turned me off from Nintendo for the entire generation.

oniyide said:
zorg1000 said:

But Nintendo has been going the family route ever since they started making games......

When the herd loses its way, the shepard must kill the bull that leads them astray.

Wii U was doomed when it launched with Ps3/360 quality specs. EVERYONE was salivating for a next Gen console, Wii Us specs turned them off and made waiting for PS4 and xone not only worth it, but they had nothing to lose by waiting because their current systems had 3rd party support and more or less the same graphics.

Devoting precious manufacturing costs on that stupid tab controller instead of hardware power is what destroyed Wii U. They can't even drop the price on it after how many years. 

DexInDaJungle said:
oniyide said:
DexInDaJungle said:
oniyide said:
z

I actually feel like they got a pass in terms of HW the first year or so simply due to people being excited about what motion controls could bring. Once people saw it was actually really bad, they went back to the more conventional consoles. But yeah I 100% agree, the wii mote completely turned me off from Nintendo for the entire generation.

oh yeah when the novelty of the motion controls wore off that was it. That was the only thing they had on the other two and it wasnt evne that great. Everything else was really behind the times.

Around the Network
zorg1000 said:
oniyide said:

But Nintendo has been going the family route ever since they started making games......

but in the beginning they truly had somethign for everyone across all genres. Nothing was left out, that started to change with N64 got a bit better with GC then went to complete crap with WII and WIi U hasnt improved on that much on that front.

I like my Nintendo consoles BECAUSE they don't have 50 games a month coming out. What, Call of Doodie? Cabela's Africa? Another Battlefield? Madden 14,15,16,17,18,19,20,21,22,23,24,25,26,27,28,29,30? Duck Dynasty? Just Dance? Angry Birds? Transformers? UFC?

Seriously wtf IS everybody missing on the Wii U so badly???

I'm 100% content with the first party Nintendo games that have come out in the last 12+ months and that will be coming out in the next 12+ months.  

They are lightyears head on the quality of all the shovelware fodder that plagues the other consoles. I would know since I have a complete PS4 retail library and I'm kinda wearing on all the shovelware that I have to wait for sales for just to keep a 100% collection.

exdeath said:

I like my Nintendo consoles BECAUSE they don't have 50 games a month coming out. What, Call of Doodie? Cabela's Africa? Another Battlefield? Madden 14,15,16,17,18,19,20,21,22,23,24,25,26,27,28,29,30? Duck Dynasty? Just Dance? Angry Birds? Transformers? UFC?

I'm 100% content with the first party Nintendo games that have come out in the last 12+ months and that will be coming out in the next 12+ months.  

They are lightyears head on the quality of all the shovelware fodder that plagues the other consoles. I would know since I have a complete PS4 retail library and I'm kinda wearing on all the shovelware that I have to wait for sales for just to keep a 100% collection.

kinda hard to take you serious when you bring up Just Dance seeing as that is on Wii U and quite popular on the Wii system.

But to each his own. 

exdeath said:

You own all the games on the PS4? You have over 300 games for the PS4 and are actually continuously buying a bunch of retail shovelware to prove a point on an internet forum?! Either you are way too rich for your own good, in which case I doubt you'd be spending much time here debating this, or you're quite simply not even halfway close to being in the vicinity of the truth.

This might very well be the most ridiculous claim I've seen anyone make in here in all my years as a member.

The Wiimote was the main thing that brought me back into gaming after losing interest during the 6th gen.

Everything had begun to bleed together and feel stale. The Wii was the first console since the N64 and PS1 that actually felt like an exciting leap into unknown territory rather than a safe iteration. Motion control allowed for a level of immersion and tactile enjoyment that blew me away.

My "wow this is next gen" moment wasn't the graphics of Gears of War or Uncharted, it was swordfighting in Wii Sports Resort or aiming with my own hand in Metroid Prime 3.