By using this site, you agree to our Privacy Policy and our Terms of Use. Close

Forums - Gaming Discussion - Both Common and Annoying misconceptions.

famousringo said:
Yeah, you're way off on the X360 thing, OP. As bdbdbd said, most replaced units won't go through retailers, but will come directly through MS. Even then, most RRoDs are repaired rather than replaced.

There may have been some repurchased 360s before MS implemented their 3 year warranty, but I doubt if they amount to even 1 million units. And if those users held on to their old broken units, they might have sent them in for repair and resold them, thereby maintaining the userbase.

And that's just your first point...

lol well like I said before it wasn't my main point , I'm open to the possibility that any or all of the points I raised where wrong , it's the fact that I'm not blindly arguing with you that i'm right and you have no possilibility of being correct which is more related to my main point.

Around the Network

Another misconception is that the iPod touch = iTouch

@CaptainPrefrences

360 can output true 1080p, if youd spend the time you could capture the out put on a monitor through various computer software. however most, and id say all but im not sure of that games are designed for 720p, part of this is due to 720p being the ntsc broadcasting standard, hdtvs at the most reasonable prices tend to be at that resolution (I do not count 720i or 420p ah hd), and bigbox non electronic chains have higher amounts of 720p choice, some walmart target kmart, do not carry 1080p at most of their stores.

the only advantage 1080p really offers you is for blueray movies at the moment, and most of them do not look significantly different than upscaled dvds (to qualify this, digitaly remastered dvds, none of that low quality direct form vhs crap that came out early). to notice a difference you would need A tv of greater than 47inch B a cleaned up version of the movie, (preferably downscaled from an original 16mm, or 32mm negative... both have much higher image information than 1080p could ever display) in blueray or the now defunct hd dvd, or straight from a hidef camera in DV-ntsc, or your cameras equivalent.

honestly if i had not found such a bargain, i would have gone with a 720p tv.

I have had lag on PSN, But also on xbox live, i attribute most of this to comcast, and their "upgrades" to my internet about a year ago

come play minecraft @  mcg.hansrotech.com

minecraft name: hansrotec

XBL name: Goddog

disolitude said:
yeah...this smells like a microsoft bashing thread.

To balance the ods...how about...

Misconception -

People who think Microsofts 360 doesn't have the best lineup of console games and is not providing the best online service

or

People who think nintendo isn't just beating a dead horse over and over with every console and re-relasing the same games with upgraded graphics.

You really need to check out how "misconseption" differs from "opinion". 1. If i recall, Wii has more games than 360. 2. Wiis online is better than 360:s. Check out how much better featured it is. 3. Wasn't Nintendo the only out of the 3 that doesn't just upgrade graphics, but create something new. And which dead horse did you mean, PS3 or 360? As you can see, even we "Nintendo fans" correct the OP:s "misconseptions". Besides, it didn't really look like bashing anything.

Ei Kiinasti.

Eikä Japanisti.

Vaan pannaan jalalla koreasti.

Nintendo games sell only on Nintendo system.

Million said:

I'm pretty much a semi active user and most of the time I spend on this website is done reading other people's posts , it's pretty shocking to see the volume of ignorant , ill informed , un-justified posts that are thrown about about by fanboys on these forums to give their console's credibility.

I'll adress some misconceptions that annoy me the most.

-There's no way the XBOX 360 can have an install base of 17 Million even if the faliure rate is a high as 10% (with reports claiming it to be as much as 33%) then the install base could not possibly be more than 16 Million.

Well ok some of them aren't misconceptions , some are debatable but cmon....VG

FAILED!

Thats a misconception !

First off the numbers of this site don't count replaced consoles  <-- unless your telling me IOI has access to those numbers

GFK, mediacreate, NPD - NONE of those report replaced consoles has sold 

MS can't report any consoles shipped through its call centers because those are not sold/shipped to retail

If they reported those numbers as sales (shipped to retail) then they would lying on their financial reports (people go to jail for that) 

Proud Member of GAIBoWS (Gamers Against Irrational Bans of Weezy & Squilliam)

Around the Network
Million said:
famousringo said:
Yeah, you're way off on the X360 thing, OP. As bdbdbd said, most replaced units won't go through retailers, but will come directly through MS. Even then, most RRoDs are repaired rather than replaced.

There may have been some repurchased 360s before MS implemented their 3 year warranty, but I doubt if they amount to even 1 million units. And if those users held on to their old broken units, they might have sent them in for repair and resold them, thereby maintaining the userbase.

lol well like I said before it wasn't my main point , I'm open to the possibility that any or all of the points I raised where wrong , it's the fact that I'm not blindly arguing with you that i'm right and you have no possilibility of being correct which is more related to my main point.

WOW, thats awesome.. your whole point is that you hate misconceptions, but then you create a thread with "ignorant , ill informed , un-justified" misconceptions??

That's a little hypocritical..

Proud Member of GAIBoWS (Gamers Against Irrational Bans of Weezy & Squilliam)

Since I'm a Sony fanboy I'll try to stick with familiar ground lol.

Playstation 3, Portable have no good games. Ok the PS3 has almost all multi-plats, and has a slew of high rated exclusives :/ STFU people xD. And the PSP... honestly, theres a ton of high rated games on the damn thing, I don't care if there not your cup of tea, they're out there and yes they are highly rated.

Sony doesn't Innovate, bish, Remote Play is knocking at your door, please answer. Playing Playstation 1, 3, and PSN games stored on my PS3 from the comfort of my work (yeah I shouldn't be comfy at work but whatever :D ) is friggin awesome, and I haven't seen anything else like that.

PSN is "Laggy": I'm not a good candidate to speak on this issue, but the only game I ever play online is Warhawk, and I have a 10MBPS internet connection, but my average ping on Warhawks is about 23. Your "Laggy PSN" can suck something awful :P

Blu-ray isn't necessary, THATS PURELY OPINION! I have one to counter that "Yes it is" oooooh burn.

From 0 to KICKASS in .stupid seconds.

bdbdbd said:
disolitude said:
yeah...this smells like a microsoft bashing thread.

To balance the ods...how about...

Misconception -

People who think Microsofts 360 doesn't have the best lineup of console games and is not providing the best online service

or

People who think nintendo isn't just beating a dead horse over and over with every console and re-relasing the same games with upgraded graphics.

You really need to check out how "misconseption" differs from "opinion". 1. If i recall, Wii has more games than 360. 2. Wiis online is better than 360:s. Check out how much better featured it is. 3. Wasn't Nintendo the only out of the 3 that doesn't just upgrade graphics, but create something new. And which dead horse did you mean, PS3 or 360? As you can see, even we "Nintendo fans" correct the OP:s "misconseptions". Besides, it didn't really look like bashing anything.

More does not mean better. 360 has 11 games that received 90 or greater on Metacritic whereas Wii has only 5.  You can keep playing Pet Catz 2, or Cooking Mama, Ill stick with Bioshock, Mass Effect, Gears of War, etc...

ChronotriggerJM said:

Sony doesn't Innovate, bish, Remote Play is knocking at your door, please answer. Playing Playstation 1, 3, and PSN games stored on my PS3 from the comfort of my work (yeah I shouldn't be comfy at work but whatever :D ) is friggin awesome, and I haven't seen anything else like that.

http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Remote_Desktop_Protocol

http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Comparison_of_remote_desktop_software 

gebx said:
Million said:
famousringo said:

WOW, thats awesome.. your whole point is that you hate misconceptions, but then you create a thread with "ignorant , ill informed , un-justified" misconceptions??

That's a little hypocritical..

whether what I said Ill informed , Un-Justified and misconceived is really a matter of opinion , I could at least link bank to 3 semi-credible sources to support  each point I posted. But Like I said before (which you obviously didn't read) it's not the misconception itself that annoys me but the use of the misconception to blindly argue for your console , therfore i'm not being hyprocitical.