By using this site, you agree to our Privacy Policy and our Terms of Use. Close

Forums - Gaming Discussion - Both Common and Annoying misconceptions.

MontanaHatchet said:
Edited your post of the word "Japs".

Interesting points nonetheless.

Oh sorry is it offensive ? I thought it's the same way you say "Brit" or "Scots", my mistake.

PS : browsing these forums on the mobile phone is murder especialy when peopel quote some one who quoted some one else who quoted some one else.

Around the Network

I don't have enough space in my lounge room TV cabinet to fit a PS3 and a PS2, yet I still want to play and complete a number of PS2 games, preferrably in my lounge room, so backwards compatibility IS very important to me.

WinAPE - The Windows Amstrad Plus Emulator

JEMU  - The Java Emulation Platform

A classic symptom of buyer's remorse is denial of truth that does not favor your purchase being the best possible one. Those who are absolutely secure in their purchases don't feel the need to argue why their purchase was a wise one; a simple "it was right for me" is sufficient explanation, and requires no further defending. That said, that's a very idealistic way of looking at it, as even when we make the "right purchase" for ourselves, we still have doubt that it truly was the right one and seek confirmation from others that we're correct.

Sky Render - Sanity is for the weak.

SSBB will sell more this year than any other game. In Japan they have sold 1.45m already. Thats only 5 weeks. In the US it will at least double that in the same time frame. Europe will be somewhere in between, maybe halfway. So in my rough estimate it will sell about 6.5m after being on sale in all regions(hopefully by may).

Wait so you attacked other people for having 'misinformed' opinions and then threw your opinions into the ring, some of which are misinformed as well.

"-BC really isn't all that important in PS3's , yes the Japanese went crazy for em on ebay when they BC PS3's where phased out in Japan but they don't represent the whole market. The cost of a 40Gb PS2 + PS2 is less than a 60GB ( it is the UK anyway) Plus if you love BC so much maybe the PS3 isn't for you."

That one is highly debatable, considering the fact that the general userbase of the PS3 is towards the more techie state than any other console I get the feeling that many of the PS3 owners will know about BC and be as pissed as a lot of people on here are.

"-SSBB is not going to sell 200 trillion units , it's not as significant a game as many people on these forums make it out to be , they are allowing they're love for the game to bloat their sales estimates."

People make it out to be a significant game because its practically guaranteed to be one of the top sellers this generation, it will outsell SMG and probably MK:Wii. The only game which really stands a chance of outselling it is GTA4, and I feel that will fall well short on legs. Perhaps you underestimate it?

"-There's no way the XBOX 360 can have an install base of 17 Million even if the faliure rate is a high as 10% (with reports claiming it to be as much as 33%) then the install base could not possibly be more than 16 Million."

As retail sales are the only ones measured on VGC it must be assumed that the number is correct as repairs and replacements do not go through the retail channel.

"-Hardly anyone that matters ( the consumer ) knows anything about DLC for the 360 , however I still beliieve the 360 version will outsell the PS3 version by a significant margin."

Expect an extremely significant advertising campaign to change this.

Around the Network
bigusdickus said:
I don't have enough space in my lounge room TV cabinet to fit a PS3 and a PS2, yet I still want to play and complete a number of PS2 games, preferrably in my lounge room, so backwards compatibility IS very important to me.

I second that.  Also, considering that I have a Wii, a 360, a DVD recorder, a DVR, etc., the inputs on my receiver/tv runneth short... 

Sky Render said:
A classic symptom of buyer's remorse is denial of truth that does not favor your purchase being the best possible one. Those who are absolutely secure in their purchases don't feel the need to argue why their purchase was a wise one; a simple "it was right for me" is sufficient explanation, and requires no further defending. That said, that's a very idealistic way of looking at it, as even when we make the "right purchase" for ourselves, we still have doubt that it truly was the right one and seek confirmation from others that we're correct.

Very well stated.

Million said:

I'm pretty much a semi active user and most of the time I spend on this website is done reading other people's posts , it's pretty shocking to see the volume of ignorant , ill informed , un-justified posts that are thrown about about by fanboys on these forums to give their console's credibility.

I'll adress some misconceptions that annoy me the most.

-There's no way the XBOX 360 can have an install base of 17 Million even if the faliure rate is a high as 10% (with reports claiming it to be as much as 33%) then the install base could not possibly be more than 16 Million.

Do you have any proof at all to back up this claim? No?  Then stop being part of the ignorant, ill informed, un-justified posts that you speak against.

ferret1603 said:
Million said:

-There's no way the XBOX 360 can have an install base of 17 Million even if the faliure rate is a high as 10% (with reports claiming it to be as much as 33%) then the install base could not possibly be more than 16 Million.

Try 70% http://www.aeropause.com/archives/2008/03/the_seventy_percent_failure_ra.php

That's not a very scientific study. 

Legend11 said:
Million said:

I'm pretty much a semi active user and most of the time I spend on this website is done reading other people's posts , it's pretty shocking to see the volume of ignorant , ill informed , un-justified posts that are thrown about about by fanboys on these forums to give their console's credibility.

I'll adress some misconceptions that annoy me the most.

Do you have any proof at all to back up this claim? No? Then stop being part of the ignorant, ill informed, un-justified posts that you speak against.

Do I have proof as in news reports , anecdotal evidence , statistics etc ? Yes . is it conclusive "proof" ? No. It's not so much wether i'm right or wrong because any one of those points I raised could be disproven. It's the way these points are argued without accepting any alternative , I'm completley open to the possibility that any or all of my points are incorrect but that's really not my point.

PS: You really think the install base is @ 17 Mil ? With the high hardware faliure rate and the high likelyhood that MS count replaced XBOX 360's as sales plus people buying 2nd or 3rd XBOX's because of hardware faliure I believe it's gotta be at the very most 16.