By using this site, you agree to our Privacy Policy and our Terms of Use. Close

Forums - Politics Discussion - Indiana Governer signs bill allowing businesses to reject gay customers.

The_Yoda said:
Wonktonodi said:

When did you choose to be hetrerosexual?

want to know something that is a lifestyle choice? Religion.

After getting my hands on my first boob.

so you weren't interested at all before that? How strange

Around the Network
The_Yoda said:
Wonktonodi said:

...you didn't know beforehand? Odd....and wait, how was that a choice? Were you like "hmmm, this is decently squishy. i suppose I will enjoy this now."

Anyways, on that line of thinking, have you personally been on the receiving end of anal to know that you don't like getting plowed by a man?

sundin13 said:
The_Yoda said:
Wonktonodi said:

...you didn't know beforehand? Odd....and wait, how was that a choice? Were you like "hmmm, this is decently squishy. i suppose I will enjoy this now."

Anyways, on that line of thinking, have you personally been on the receiving end of anal to know that you don't like getting plowed by a man?

you ever see a dick on the internet and turn away because you don't want to see it, but when it's tits you stare?

The_Yoda said:
Stage back to Dr King ... seems to me religion is a part of his life and a part of him. He helped to further civil rights but you don't want religion or its role in his life to have been a part of that because it hurts your argument that religion "always" holds society back, or people down. A man is the sum of his parts.

Social change was going to happen regardless of Martin Luther King. He just so happened to be in it in the right place at the right time. Religion helped him be a pacifist in a struggle for his human rights. Malcolm X was religious as well and was a muslim and wanted equality by any means necessary also not denying a militant approach if need be.

In the end despite where they came from they were going to social change as human beings and yes, the MAN is the sum of his parts. The religion helped him to be a pacifist. There were times when MLK wanted to be militant just like Malcolm X, but he didn't. 

As I said if you're a fan of Xmen, Magneto and Profession Xavier were created off of both of their ideologies and approach to social change. 

S.T.A.G.E. said:
wilco said:
How is discriminating against gay people even going to work? If 2 men walk in and are dressed in a flamboyant manner do I then have cause to discriminate against them based on my religious beliefs? What if they are not gay and just have an eccentric fashion sense?

Also, doesn't this law open the door to the Muslim "no go" zones that conservatives were so worried about?

Almost 80% of the US are Christians.  Some (especially in certain positions) are on a mission to make separation of Church and State disappear and create a Christian dominated society in law and philosophy. If this happens our education &scientific system will fall victim to it. We will fall behind other first world countries even more than we have in education. 

You're right though, this law if the Supreme Court doesn't take it out will have the potential to affect other states.

From what I've seen most of the laws like this usually don't specify Christianity (they know they couldn't get away with that). So technically any religion would apply. Although I wouldn't be suprised if they start trying to find legal justifications and loop holes to make these laws only applicable to Christians.

Around the Network
Wonktonodi said:
Shame that it got that far. I don't expect it to last long though, but the judicial system in this country has disappointed me time and again.
At least here homosexuals can't just be executed sadly too many places it's still done regularly and even here there are those that wish it was the case.
http://oag.ca.gov/system/files/initiatives/pdfs/15-0008%20%28Sodomy%29_0.pdf

Please don't think or imply that I'm anti-gay or homophobic I have friends that are gay. Being gay doesn't make someone a bad person in my eyes.

thedawghousev2 said:
Wonktonodi said:

dumb question

No, the question usually works well to get a person to think that some things they think are choices others make aren't actually a choice they made themselves.

For those that think they chose to be hetero, I actually hope to get a detailed answer and increase my understanding. Because I know I didn't choose what I am attracted to, the closest one could argue is when I chose to label myself as gay, since there is a lot of grey area between heterosexual and homosexual that most of us actually fit in.

wilco said:
S.T.A.G.E. said:

I'm not talking about a gay gene. I cannot confirm that. I am stating that the being gay is displayed by a lot of other species around us. Its already proven. We make it look like we as higher animals having homosexuals are making a sinful decision and religion is not really a proper way to explain the world around us on a scientific level. My point is...could a Christian condemn their dog for being a homosexual any more than a man? Marriage is a societal structure created by humans. I mean, any two people should be able to marry like you said. I agree, they should have the rights guaranteed to us.

Sadly, I wouldn't put it past a fundamentalist to do that. I used to argue with Christians in a similar manner but then I realized it was a moot point. Like you said, religion has no place in the affairs of the state. Christian's are free to condemn what they want, they simply shouldn't have the right to legislate based on those beliefs. Anyone who wants to hate gays is welcome to do so, they have that right, but they shouldn't have the right to tell consenting adults that they can't get married.

I agree 100%. 

The_Yoda said:
Wonktonodi said:
Shame that it got that far. I don't expect it to last long though, but the judicial system in this country has disappointed me time and again.
At least here homosexuals can't just be executed sadly too many places it's still done regularly and even here there are those that wish it was the case.
http://oag.ca.gov/system/files/initiatives/pdfs/15-0008%20%28Sodomy%29_0.pdf

Please don't think or imply that I'm anti-gay or homophobic I have friends that are gay. Being gay doesn't make someone a bad person in my eyes.

I'm trying to understand how you think it's a choice. So if I understand how you think about yours maybe I could get you to understand how I think about mine.

RCT Junkie is right; not every religious person is like this Governor. Most are accepting of others. Most realize that it's the 21st century. Most know that the Earth revolves around the Sun.

#1 Amb-ass-ador