By using this site, you agree to our Privacy Policy and our Terms of Use. Close

Forums - Sales Discussion - Japanese store stops selling PS3s due to poor sales

Okay guys... this thread is retarded, and honestly it is completely useless to argue about something that you can't truly read... I swear what the hell? My Japanese isn't great, but as far as I am concerned the original translation is incorrect. A lot of the text on that page is irrelevant. The top line says something along the lines of 'SOLD OUT' The dark blue text is Playstation 2, Playstation 3 and Playstation Portable. Next is says that they have stopped selling these products until April 30th because they have no stock available. Then they say they apologise for any inconvenience caused. No where does it make out that they will no longer be selling the items any more or again, from what I can tell this photo was taken before April 30th and it is an apology for running out of stock...

Around the Network
rocketpig said:

First off, I'm not a mod.

Secondly, you're adding all that "functionality" to the PS3. A lot of people here don't care about it. I'm one of them. I don't want a Blu-Ray player yet Sony is cramming it down my throat if I want a PS3. I don't want HD-DVD either. MS gave me a choice. Sony didn't. Obviously, there are loads of people around the world that agree with my sentiment. The sales back it up.

And if the PS3 isn't stagnating, why is it in last place every month in W/W sales? It hasn't beaten the 360 once in NA and hasn't beaten the Wii in Japan or NA. There's no room for argument here. The simple numbers back me up. Stop trying to use the off-season as an excuse. The 360 and Wii aren't having the same problems.

And I frequent many gaming forums (five, to be exact) and this is the only one where I consistently find people who try to talk up the upcoming PS3 lineup (sans MGS4). While it's still a small sample size, it doesn't take much to determine that people are more excited about the Wii and 360 than they are the PS3 right now. Hence my comment about a mediocre lineup (and even then I still conceded that it was an opinion).

You're the one who is trying to twist around the facts here. I'm basing 90% of my opinion on pure sales numbers while you try to use arguments such as "people are taking a wait and see" approach. How exactly do you know that to be true?

First off, thank the Lord.

Secondly, I'm not adding any "fuctionality" to the PS3. It's already in the box. Sony is not "cramming" anything down your throat. We do not live in a compulsory capitalist state. To use your own nonsense against you, Sony gave you the choice of Blu-ray, Microsoft doesn't. Sales by vgchartz say 100k sold, what does that back up? That 100k bought the system, doesn't matter what any other console sold.

And you're being stupid about your misuse of the term, "stagnating." Other consoles do not matter. The Wii selling awesomely is irrelevant. We're talking about you saying that the PS3 stagnated. This is a stagnation period for games. Sales stop, game flow stops, things stop. With exception to the Wii, that's how the game industry is right now. The X360 selling more does not mean it too is not in a stagnant period of games. The ONLY way that the PS3 "stagnates" is when the PS3, with more software, doesn't sell well during Holiday season. Again, you're completely wrong.

And using forums to back up an indefensible claim doesn't work. I could tell you of five forums that have more appreciation for the PS3 than the Wii. I could tell you of five forums that prefer the PS3 to everything overall. The bottomline is that it's all irrelevant, you made a blanket statement concerning personal preference. You're too cowardly to admit that you made a mistake with what you said. You have now been tagged as a fanboy for your statement of stupidity.

You're the one using blanket statements of opinion based upon anecdotal lies. This puts you in the wrong. I've proven why stating that the "PS3 is stagnating" is idiotic. It takes an idiot to not see the statement, "PS3's upcoming mediocre game lineup" was fanboyish. The Wii selling more is irrelevant with those two statements. "Wait and See" is simply me saying that the public isn't gaga over the PS3 during its stale month. That means they are waiting for Holiday season. Hence "wait and see."

Sometimes it hurts to go number 2.

"If there is no interest than who and why are they apologise? It's a joke of some N-fanatic."

^^^^^^^^^^playstation fan boy^^^^^^^^^^^

ROFL

I am WEEzY. You can suck my Nintendo loving BALLS!

MynameisGARY

I think it would be nice if y-koron or some other Japanese member could translate this note.

I have a Japanese friend, I will be seeing them tomorrow, I will get a proper translation at that time.

Around the Network
rocketpig said:
PinkPoop said:

"An opinion shared by most of the gaming world." What? That's impossible to defend from any standpoint. You can't possibly speak about a "majority" without looking like a total fool. You can't defend that position, so you are unable to use it.

"PS3 stales are stagnating. That's a fact." Well, depends on how you look at "facts." It's a fact that there aren't many games on the PS3. It's a fact that we are in the summer period where gaming typically "stagnates." Your inference is that the PS3 is in trouble because summer months, without software, it isn't selling a million consoles. My correction on that inference is that the PS3 is only in trouble if it doesn't sell during holiday season, with software. It's not that hard to understand.

The "logic" on your last paragraph is simply hilarious. The PS3 isn't *just* a games machine. It has a blu ray player. Blu-ray is competing with HD DVD. Its competition is not just the X360, but HD DVD as well. You say you just care about a gaming machine, your opinion that has nothing to do with the FACT that the X360 without HD DVD only competes with ONE PART of the PS3. PS3's "total" competition is priced the same as the PS3, $600.

Baseless nonsense, and from a moderator. Disgusting.

First off, I'm not a mod.

Secondly, you're adding all that "functionality" to the PS3. A lot of people here don't care about it. I'm one of them. I don't want a Blu-Ray player yet Sony is cramming it down my throat if I want a PS3. I don't want HD-DVD either. MS gave me a choice. Sony didn't. Obviously, there are loads of people around the world that agree with my sentiment. The sales back it up.

And if the PS3 isn't stagnating, why is it in last place every month in W/W sales? It hasn't beaten the 360 once in NA and hasn't beaten the Wii in Japan or NA. There's no room for argument here. The simple numbers back me up. Stop trying to use the off-season as an excuse. The 360 and Wii aren't having the same problems.

And I frequent many gaming forums (five, to be exact) and this is the only one where I consistently find people who try to talk up the upcoming PS3 lineup (sans MGS4). While it's still a small sample size, it doesn't take much to determine that people are more excited about the Wii and 360 than they are the PS3 right now. Hence my comment about a mediocre lineup (and even then I still conceded that it was an opinion).

You're the one who is trying to twist around the facts here. I'm basing 90% of my opinion on pure sales numbers while you try to use arguments such as "people are taking a wait and see" approach. How exactly do you know that to be true?

I have to get back to work after lunch, but PS3 uses a Blu-Ray Drive, get over it!  The GameCube used 3 1/2 proprietary discs, the Dreamcast used another proprietary format.   The DS (your pride and joy) uses a PROPRIETARY cartraige.  Like CrazzyMan says, if you want to play that list of games you have to buy a PS3.  You can believe all you want that Sony included it (Blu-Ray) to win a format war, but their intentions were not different than a choice to use any other storage medium.   Please realize that no one here with half a brain thinks the PS3 will dominate the market, but try to accept the pain in your Wiiness when it is at least partially successful (wait and see)

I got my friend to translate properly.

This is definitely like the initial post says.

This store is no longer going to be buying any more stock for Sony platforms after 30th April.

Basically it means that they no longer want to stock these items, and yes it's pretty much because they are not selling.  It's a very bleak outlook, however this is just a very small time independent gaming store so don't worry to much.

OriGin said:
Okay guys... this thread is retarded, and honestly it is completely useless to argue about something that you can't truly read... I swear what the hell?

Haha! You're right but you have to admit that it is intriguing. Everyone likes a bit of a mystery which is probably a factor in why Japan is so fascinating to us in general.

Anyway Y-koron translated it in the Japanese sales thread and his translation matches your friend's. Debate over I guess?

OriGin said:
I got my friend to translate properly.

This is definitely like the initial post says.

This store is no longer going to be buying any more stock for Sony platforms after 30th April.

Basically it means that they no longer want to stock these items, and yes it's pretty much because they are not selling.  It's a very bleak outlook, however this is just a very small time independent gaming store so don't worry to much.

It has begun

Predictions:Sales of Wii Fit will surpass the combined sales of the Grand Theft Auto franchiseLifetime sales of Wii will surpass the combined sales of the entire Playstation family of consoles by 12/31/2015 Wii hardware sales will surpass the total hardware sales of the PS2 by 12/31/2010 Wii will have 50% marketshare or more by the end of 2008 (I was wrong!!  It was a little over 48% only)Wii will surpass 45 Million in lifetime sales by the end of 2008 (I was wrong!!  Nintendo Financials showed it fell slightly short of 45 million shipped by end of 2008)Wii will surpass 80 Million in lifetime sales by the end of 2009 (I was wrong!! Wii didn't even get to 70 Million)

PS4 said:

Translates to: 

Information about no longer carrying new products

We regret to announce...

PlayStation 2
PlayStation 3
PlayStation Portable

As well as all related items will no longer be carried as of April 30th.
Please accept our apologies.

wheres the link? it sounds fake