By using this site, you agree to our Privacy Policy and our Terms of Use. Close

Forums - Sales Discussion - Japanese store stops selling PS3s due to poor sales

Arcturus said:
FishyJoe said:

I don't see how this constitutes trolling. AFAIK, nothing has been said that is untrue or ranting.

How about the fact that the title says "due to poor sales" despite the translation having no mention of a reason for the discontinuation.

At a guess.. I would say he took the idea from where ever he picked up the photo from and got the translation. It's a pity the OP hasn't replied at all on this thread..... 

"..just keep on trying 'till you run out of cake"

Around the Network
Pk9394 said:

You might want to add Wifi with Elit price + HD dvd addon + live fee...... yep now you got a more expensive 360 package. BRAVO!!!!!you won your comparison....

Too bad the reality is the large percentage casual and non casual gamer dont think this way.....

to their eye 360 is 400 and ps3 is 600 the difference is 200!!! and both system is still in a high price range to reach that mass market appeal.

and where you find supporting data on percentage of the "wait and see" users that'll buy ps3 when it has good games out??? I thought those user was waitting for motorstorm and VF5??? atleast thats what fanboy been saying before the release, ps3 will pwn when those game released, then we all know what happened in march. If you using that "wait and see" arguement you might want to add another important variable in your prediction "TASTE!" people change their taste over time.

finish my rank, Back to work on my SECOND JOB to afford that PS3 :)

Summer sales (late april through early september) are typically slow. His implication that the current vgchartz data indicate a lingering problem with the PS3 is misleading. When PS3 sales bump in the fall and the winter, we'll truly be able to figure out whether or not the public is dissatisfied with it.

Sometimes it hurts to go number 2.

PinkPoop said:

rocketpig said:

Wow, okay. I love baseless predictions with absolutely no grounding in reality.

A mediocre upcoming lineup, stagnating sales, and $200 pricier than the competition. Yep, Sony has the world by the balls right now.

"Medicore upcoming lineup" is opinion.

"Stagnating sales" doesn't consider the PS3 in context. The implication is a rejection of the PS3, when reality it's just a "wait and see" for the PS3 due to no summer games. Other consoles, except for the Wii, are suffering this same thing.

"$200 pricer than the competition" is a fact, but only if you fail to consider the Blu-ray player. The X360 only competes feature by feature with the PS3 when you include the HD DVD add-on, which makes it the same price.

You didn't make a prediction, but what you said was baseless and had no grounding in reality. Practice what you preach, mod.

Mediocre lineup is an opinion. An opinion shared by most of the gaming world.

I don't care if people are taking a "wait and see" attitude. PS3 sales are stagnating. That's a fact.

I don't remember MS forcing me to buy anything other than the 360. I don't even want a Blu-Ray player right now. Therefore, the PS3 is $200 extra. $300 if you want to argue the Core system (I won't). Adding in peripherals to make your price point look better is just silly.

So, how was my argument baseless again?

Or check out my new webcomic: http://selfcentent.com/

so what is a point of such threads? someone is going to cancel: Killzone2 LBP Ratchet MGS4 FFXIII and FFXIIIv Lair NGS Uncharted Heavenly Sword Warhawk Getaway3 WKS Folks Soul MotorStorm Gran Turismo5 ??? PEOPLE, DO YOU UNDERTSAND, THAT IF YOU WANT TO PLAY THOSE GAMES, YOU WILL HAVE TO BUY PS3, SO IT DOESN`T MATTER, HOW IT IS SELLING. it only matters for developers, which will make games in 2008-2009. But for 2007-2008 IT DOESN`T MATTER.

Every 5 seconds on earth one child dies from hunger...

2009.04.30 - PS3 will OUTSELL x360 atleast by the middle of 2010. Japan+Europe > NA.

Gran Turismo 3 - 1,06 mln. in 3 weeks with around 4 mln. PS2 on the launch.
Gran Turismo 4 - 1,16 mln. with 18 mln. PS2 on the launch.

Final Fantasy X - around 2 mln. with 5 mln. PS2 on the launch.
Final Fantasy X-2 - 2.4 mln. with 12 mln. PS2 on the launch.

1.8 mln. PS3 today(2008.01.17) in Japan. Now(2009.04.30) 3.16 mln. PS3 were sold in Japan.
PS3 will reach 4 mln. in Japan by the end of 2009 with average weekly sales 25k.

PS3 may reach 5 mln. in Japan by the end of 2009 with average weekly sales 50k.
PS2 2001 vs PS3 2008 sales numbers =) + New games released in Japan by 2009 that passed 100k so far

PinkPoop said:
Pk9394 said:

You might want to add Wifi with Elit price + HD dvd addon + live fee...... yep now you got a more expensive 360 package. BRAVO!!!!!you won your comparison....

Too bad the reality is the large percentage casual and non casual gamer dont think this way.....

to their eye 360 is 400 and ps3 is 600 the difference is 200!!! and both system is still in a high price range to reach that mass market appeal.

and where you find supporting data on percentage of the "wait and see" users that'll buy ps3 when it has good games out??? I thought those user was waitting for motorstorm and VF5??? atleast thats what fanboy been saying before the release, ps3 will pwn when those game released, then we all know what happened in march. If you using that "wait and see" arguement you might want to add another important variable in your prediction "TASTE!" people change their taste over time.

Summer sales (late april through early september) are typically slow. His implication that the current vgchartz data indicate a lingering problem with the PS3 is misleading. When PS3 sales bump in the fall and the winter, we'll truly be able to figure out whether or not the public is dissatisfied with it.

hmmm... wouldn't the 360 get the same bump? and if 100,000 people are purchasing 360's in the slow months what will happen in the fall?

Also to go back to the original post, if the PS3 isn't sold in that store then the 360 is also not being sold. So don't worry people.. both the 360 and PS3 are doing crap in Japan.

Proud Member of GAIBoWS (Gamers Against Irrational Bans of Weezy & Squilliam)

Around the Network
rocketpig said:
PinkPoop said:

rocketpig said:

Wow, okay. I love baseless predictions with absolutely no grounding in reality.

A mediocre upcoming lineup, stagnating sales, and $200 pricier than the competition. Yep, Sony has the world by the balls right now.

"Medicore upcoming lineup" is opinion.

"Stagnating sales" doesn't consider the PS3 in context. The implication is a rejection of the PS3, when reality it's just a "wait and see" for the PS3 due to no summer games. Other consoles, except for the Wii, are suffering this same thing.

"$200 pricer than the competition" is a fact, but only if you fail to consider the Blu-ray player. The X360 only competes feature by feature with the PS3 when you include the HD DVD add-on, which makes it the same price.

You didn't make a prediction, but what you said was baseless and had no grounding in reality. Practice what you preach, mod.

Mediocre lineup is an opinion. An opinion shared by most of the gaming world.

I don't care if people are taking a "wait and see" attitude. PS3 sales are stagnating. That's a fact.

I don't remember MS forcing me to buy anything other than the 360. I don't even want a Blu-Ray player right now. Therefore, the PS3 is $200 extra. $300 if you want to argue the Core system (I won't). Adding in peripherals to make your price point look better is just silly.

So, how was my argument baseless again?

"An opinion shared by most of the gaming world." What? That's impossible to defend from any standpoint. You can't possibly speak about a "majority" without looking like a total fool. You can't defend that position, so you are unable to use it.

"PS3 stales are stagnating. That's a fact." Well, depends on how you look at "facts." It's a fact that there aren't many games on the PS3. It's a fact that we are in the summer period where gaming typically "stagnates." Your inference is that the PS3 is in trouble because summer months, without software, it isn't selling a million consoles. My correction on that inference is that the PS3 is only in trouble if it doesn't sell during holiday season, with software. It's not that hard to understand.

The "logic" on your last paragraph is simply hilarious. The PS3 isn't *just* a games machine. It has a blu ray player. Blu-ray is competing with HD DVD. Its competition is not just the X360, but HD DVD as well. You say you just care about a gaming machine, your opinion that has nothing to do with the FACT that the X360 without HD DVD only competes with ONE PART of the PS3. PS3's "total" competition is priced the same as the PS3, $600.

Baseless nonsense, and from a moderator. Disgusting.

gebx said:
PinkPoop said:
Pk9394 said:

hmmm... wouldn't the 360 get the same bump? and if 100,000 people are purchasing 360's in the slow months what will happen in the fall?

Also to go back to the original post, if the PS3 isn't sold in that store then the 360 is also not being sold. So don't worry people.. both the 360 and PS3 are doing crap in Japan.

We're talking about the PS3, not the X360.

Of course they'll dump the PS3 and PSP, it'll free up space for more DS software and DS systems, its only the smart thing to do

Predictions:Sales of Wii Fit will surpass the combined sales of the Grand Theft Auto franchiseLifetime sales of Wii will surpass the combined sales of the entire Playstation family of consoles by 12/31/2015 Wii hardware sales will surpass the total hardware sales of the PS2 by 12/31/2010 Wii will have 50% marketshare or more by the end of 2008 (I was wrong!!  It was a little over 48% only)Wii will surpass 45 Million in lifetime sales by the end of 2008 (I was wrong!!  Nintendo Financials showed it fell slightly short of 45 million shipped by end of 2008)Wii will surpass 80 Million in lifetime sales by the end of 2009 (I was wrong!! Wii didn't even get to 70 Million)

Avinash_Tyagi said:
Of course they'll dump the PS3 and PSP, it'll free up space for more DS software and DS systems, its only the smart thing to do

Totally, dump Monster Hunter out on the street where it belongs, that series goes nowhere.

PinkPoop said:

"An opinion shared by most of the gaming world." What? That's impossible to defend from any standpoint. You can't possibly speak about a "majority" without looking like a total fool. You can't defend that position, so you are unable to use it.

"PS3 stales are stagnating. That's a fact." Well, depends on how you look at "facts." It's a fact that there aren't many games on the PS3. It's a fact that we are in the summer period where gaming typically "stagnates." Your inference is that the PS3 is in trouble because summer months, without software, it isn't selling a million consoles. My correction on that inference is that the PS3 is only in trouble if it doesn't sell during holiday season, with software. It's not that hard to understand.

The "logic" on your last paragraph is simply hilarious. The PS3 isn't *just* a games machine. It has a blu ray player. Blu-ray is competing with HD DVD. Its competition is not just the X360, but HD DVD as well. You say you just care about a gaming machine, your opinion that has nothing to do with the FACT that the X360 without HD DVD only competes with ONE PART of the PS3. PS3's "total" competition is priced the same as the PS3, $600.

Baseless nonsense, and from a moderator. Disgusting.

First off, I'm not a mod.

Secondly, you're adding all that "functionality" to the PS3. A lot of people here don't care about it. I'm one of them. I don't want a Blu-Ray player yet Sony is cramming it down my throat if I want a PS3. I don't want HD-DVD either. MS gave me a choice. Sony didn't. Obviously, there are loads of people around the world that agree with my sentiment. The sales back it up.

And if the PS3 isn't stagnating, why is it in last place every month in W/W sales? It hasn't beaten the 360 once in NA and hasn't beaten the Wii in Japan or NA. There's no room for argument here. The simple numbers back me up. Stop trying to use the off-season as an excuse. The 360 and Wii aren't having the same problems.

And I frequent many gaming forums (five, to be exact) and this is the only one where I consistently find people who try to talk up the upcoming PS3 lineup (sans MGS4). While it's still a small sample size, it doesn't take much to determine that people are more excited about the Wii and 360 than they are the PS3 right now. Hence my comment about a mediocre lineup (and even then I still conceded that it was an opinion).

You're the one who is trying to twist around the facts here. I'm basing 90% of my opinion on pure sales numbers while you try to use arguments such as "people are taking a wait and see" approach. How exactly do you know that to be true?

Or check out my new webcomic: http://selfcentent.com/