By using this site, you agree to our Privacy Policy and our Terms of Use. Close

Forums - Sales Discussion - Japanese store stops selling PS3s due to poor sales

That is stupid look behind the sign is a psp game why would they have the thing in their store window if they are going to stop selling it.

Around the Network

rocketpig said:

Wow, okay. I love baseless predictions with absolutely no grounding in reality.

A mediocre upcoming lineup, stagnating sales, and $200 pricier than the competition. Yep, Sony has the world by the balls right now.

"Medicore upcoming lineup" is opinion.

"Stagnating sales" doesn't consider the PS3 in context. The implication is a rejection of the PS3, when reality it's just a "wait and see" for the PS3 due to no summer games. Other consoles, except for the Wii, are suffering this same thing.

"$200 pricer than the competition" is a fact, but only if you fail to consider the Blu-ray player. The X360 only competes feature by feature with the PS3 when you include the HD DVD add-on, which makes it the same price.

You didn't make a prediction, but what you said was baseless and had no grounding in reality. Practice what you preach, mod.

Sometimes it hurts to go number 2.

PS4 said:

Translates to:

Information about no longer carrying new products

We regret to announce...

PlayStation 2
PlayStation 3
PlayStation Portable

As well as all related items will no longer be carried as of April 30th.
Please accept our apologies.

First: Your translation mentions nothing about poor sales, so why do you state that in the title of this thread?

Second: How about some context? Where did you get this picture?  

ACTUALLY YOU ARE ALL WRONG............. IT TRANSLATES TO GODZILLA IS ATTACKING THE CITY..........TAKE THE PS and run for cover!!!! Please follow the signs of the lion to the nearest exit/shelter

1. Can we actually get a confirmed translation please? If the translation is accurate, then I'll accept what it says. It doesn't look like a joke.

2. There could be lots of reasons to stop selling PS* products. The store *could* make a decision to become a Nintendo only store - not a bad move in Japan right now (almost 90% of software sales).

3. One store doing this means little. As with '2', there are lots of reasons why. Maybe they are no longer selling *any* games.

4. Any mention of the 360? Although I get the feeling that is more of a "niche" item in Japan anyway. 

Gesta Non Verba

Nocturnal is helping companies get cheaper game ratings in Australia:

Game Assessment website

Wii code: 2263 4706 2910 1099

Around the Network
PinkPoop said:

rocketpig said:

Wow, okay. I love baseless predictions with absolutely no grounding in reality.

A mediocre upcoming lineup, stagnating sales, and $200 pricier than the competition. Yep, Sony has the world by the balls right now.

"Medicore upcoming lineup" is opinion.

"Stagnating sales" doesn't consider the PS3 in context. The implication is a rejection of the PS3, when reality it's just a "wait and see" for the PS3 due to no summer games. Other consoles, except for the Wii, are suffering this same thing.

"$200 pricer than the competition" is a fact, but only if you fail to consider the Blu-ray player. The X360 only competes feature by feature with the PS3 when you include the HD DVD add-on, which makes it the same price.

You didn't make a prediction, but what you said was baseless and had no grounding in reality. Practice what you preach, mod.

You might want to add Wifi with Elit price + HD dvd addon + live fee...... yep now you got a more expensive 360 package. BRAVO!!!!!you won your comparison....

Too bad the reality is the large percentage casual and non casual gamer dont think this way.....

to their eye 360 is 400 and ps3 is 600 the difference is 200!!! and both system is still in a high price range to reach that mass market appeal.

and where you find supporting data on percentage of the "wait and see" users that'll buy ps3 when it has good games out??? I thought those user was waitting for motorstorm and VF5??? atleast thats what fanboy been saying before the release, ps3 will pwn when those game released, then we all know what happened in march. If you using that "wait and see" arguement you might want to add another important variable in your prediction "TASTE!" people change their taste over time.

finish my rank, Back to work on my SECOND JOB to afford that PS3 :)

There is some weight to the reasoning that they are making room for more DS games on the shelves of smaller shops, I have seen many pictures of DS games on PSP and playstation areas already so it isn't too far fetched to imagine this could happen. On the other hand - it's just one shop (and a picture without a link!) If it was a whole chain of stores it would be all over the gaming news.

"..just keep on trying 'till you run out of cake"

Don't really see why PS3 fans should see this as trolling plain and simple what I take from this is a shop in Japan has chosen to stop carrying Playstation products. From this a lot more can be guessed at but that's all that is there. Also though don't really think the orginal poster should be berated just because he title the post with "due to poor sales" because I mean just logically thinking why would I stop selling a system with high sales it doesn't make since people are going to come into your shop buy the system and games for it which means profit for you why stop selling it if that is the case. On the other hand as many have suggested maybe this is just a particular shop in a particular area that has lets say 95% of its customers coming in and buying Nintendo products and lets say because of space this shop is often in low supply of Nintendo products now they also tender to a niche Playstation market at this particular shop but this market only make up around 4% of their sales and they think they would get those sales regardless with Nintendo product but likely in less time it does make since to sell just the Nintendo product in that instance not saying that's the case just a possibility. I mean to me that example is just the whole k-mart blue light special you can have the device that sits on your shelf for 6 months and makes you 9 dollars of profit or you can have the one that sits on your self a day and makes 50 cents of profit which do you want because the one you don't you sell off cheaper so you can have that shelf space.

larry said:
PS4 said:

Translates to:

Information about no longer carrying new products

We regret to announce...

PlayStation 2
PlayStation 3
PlayStation Portable

As well as all related items will no longer be carried as of April 30th.
Please accept our apologies.

wowwwwwww

what a troll????????

x360 is the least selling console in Japan with 2.5k consoles sold per week.

ps3 and ps2 beats it 5:1 and psp 12:1.

If a store reallly stops selling any console then it should be x360.

may be the store above ran out of ps products.

MODS:- Dont make this forum a safe heaven for trolls?

I remember reading stories before the 360 came out about how many stores in Japan refused to stock the 360 because of how badly the original did.  Also many stores did stop selling the original xbox after it flopped in Japan.  The reason you don't see posts about it is because it already happened a while ago.  Right now this is just one shop and until you start seeing posts about the fact its occuring all over Japan then its not a real problem yet.  What most people in the US and other countries don't understand is just how small the average store is in Japan.  I hope someone can post photos from stores but its very differant then what most of the readers here are used to.

FishyJoe said:

I don't see how this constitutes trolling. AFAIK, nothing has been said that is untrue or ranting.

How about the fact that the title says "due to poor sales" despite the translation having no mention of a reason for the discontinuation.