By using this site, you agree to our Privacy Policy and our Terms of Use. Close

Forums - Gaming Discussion - Anyone think the Dreamcast is over-rated now?

Ruler said:
KungKras said:

Dreamcast was a better console than PS2 up until it was discontinued (comparing the console libraries at that time). It gave better value for money and had tons of fun games.

Now it's overglorified by the same people who abandoned it in favour of the Sonyfication of gaming. The Dreamcast is interesting as it really is, even without all the nerd hype.

EDIT: The dreamcast is one of the best consoles ever though. That people found a way to still play Phantasy Star online on it should be a testament to that.

PS2 was fully backwards compatible with PS1 games, people could sell their PS1s to upgrade. Dreamcast couldnt.

Thank god they didn't try that, Sega saturn emulation was worthless for years because of the layout of that console, if they had warped the Dreamcast to be able to play those games it would not have been a good system on it's own. http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Sega_Saturn "Saturn has a dual-CPU architecture and a total of eight processors" you really don't want to be trying to emulate that shit on DC hardware, woulda killed it.

My history of the DC has some love for it, games like Phantasy star online soaked up hundreds of hours of my life, Skies of Arcadia, Soul Calibur, Crazy Taxi, Sonic Adventure 1+2, Powerstone 1+2 I mean.. the console had some damn amazing games... but... also some issues, I hated the controller from day one, why put a cable on the underneath of it? and such a short almost megadrive lenght of cable was baffling to me. I also had hardware issues with my first dc where it liked to at times think the cd bay was open... which the instant the console sees that door as open it resets the system back to the dashboard which was the end of me enjoying rpgs on it after a long session ended suddenly at the dash board one night was the last big play my first DC got.

Speaking of great Sega machines tho, spent my night playing a Sonic 2 cart on my Game Gear that I found at a thrift store the other day... damn that game is rockers hard, went back to my copy of Streets of Rage after a bunch of failure but gotta love the Game Gear for trying to take on the Gameboy back in Nintendomination.

Why not check me out on youtube and help me on the way to 2k subs over at www.youtube.com/stormcloudlive

Around the Network

I bought it I think a year after launch. And I remember how it was groundbreaking at the time, it was my first non-Nintendo console and I never regretted it for one moment.
-Jet Set Radio
-RE Code Veronica
-Sonic Adventure 1 & 2
-Soul Calibur
-Tomb Raider IV
-Skies of Arcadia
-MSR
-Powerstone
-DOA 2
-Phantasy Star Online
-Shenmue 1 & 2
-Virtua Tennis 1&2

It was a great console, with a great catalogue. And between the its launch and the PS2 launch, she got all the superior version for lots of games like Rayman 2.

The Dreamcast is not overrated at all, and I urge anyone who thinks otherwise to study more about its history.

Morrowind (2002) > Skyrim (2011) :P

For visuals?  I know people love the game, but really for visuals?  Moving around in a smooth 3D world? 

Now I'd be interested in a HD remake on new consoles, but can't quite agree with you there.  Skyrim looks quite close to the Uncanny Valley without actually faling into it.

Morrowind:

Skyrim:

Really not sure I see any point of Consol over PC's since Kinect, Wii and other alternative ways to play have been abandoned. 

Top 50 'most fun' game list coming soon!

Tell me a funny joke!

There were lots of great and original games on the dreamcast and it had widespread online gaming first. It did innovate alot, so i dont see why you think you should bring it down a notch. I do think it was the best console after the PSone. The PS2 domination that came after it was a definitive step back.

It was no Sega Saturn, but it really was the true Arcade at Home console.

Around the Network
Protendo said:
It was no Sega Saturn, but it really was the true Arcade at Home console.

Sega Saturn was also the true arcade home console if not even better 

Ruler said:

The 5th generation was way better imo. At least the ps1, saturn and n64 havent shared all the same games but had all tons of exclusives

Matter of taste, but for me 1995 was too soon to make the jump from sprites to polygons.  The games looked awful for the most part and really detracted from my experience.  I kept playing on my Genesis and SNES because I honestly felt they were superior in controls and visuals.  For example Super Mario World still looks good to me, while Mario 64 looked awful and has aged even worse to me.

The Staurn died early and honestly the N64 reminds me a lot of Wii U current situation with rare big title and then draughts.  The PS1 pretty much dominated which explains a lot how it had so many exclusives.  If we revert back to two consoles (Sony & Nintendo) for the next generation I'd imagine we'd see tons of exclusives again.  

Never was, and never will be overrated............ fact remains, from launch window to 2 years on, no console has come close to such a stellar line up of games in such a short period of time.

Bottom line_______________

Zappykins said:

Morrowind (2002) > Skyrim (2011) :P

For visuals?  I know people love the game, but really for visuals?  Moving around in a smooth 3D world? 

Now I'd be interested in a HD remake on new consoles, but can't quite agree with you there.  Skyrim looks quite close to the Uncanny Valley without actually faling into it.

Morrowind:

Skyrim:

You didn't mention visuals specifically. You said, "made it fell real." Morrowind felt much more immersive and "real" than Skyrim did, despite the visuals. You truly felt like you were in an alien, fantastical world. Skyrim did have a great atmosphere, but it didn't pull me into the world like Morrowind had (and I played Morrowind for the first time in 2007.)

And you were talking about a "great 3D" game anyway. Does graphics make a game great alone? 

As for a remake, 

https://www.youtube.com/channel/UCwMeA6uYyXr7N11tgBXnn8Q

View on YouTube

The dreamcast is mostly overrated by people who never had the console to begin with. They're thinking "Oh, there are so many great games, this has to be teh best console evaaahhh!"

Which is true to some extent, but the console itself had many shortcomings. Like the controller. I mean, that thing was friggin' huge, was it not? Also it was expensive (at least in europe) and those damn VM units (you know, the memory cards with displays...) were expensive as fuck! I hated that. Vita Memory Card prices? Not even close. Not even close, really.

While the Dreamcast had some great games, the variety was still not anywhere close to the PSX, let alone PS2. Also, the first party titles didn't hold up to Nintendo's offerings, with the exception of Shenmue maybe. It was good, just not as good as the competition which was why the people bought other consoles instead.

But anyway, you don't talk bad about the dead, so the Dreamcast deserves all the hype it can get. There you have it.

Official member of VGC's Nintendo family, approved by the one and only RolStoppable. I feel honored.