By using this site, you agree to our Privacy Policy and our Terms of Use. Close

Forums - Gaming Discussion - Anyone think the Dreamcast is over-rated now?

sc94597 said:

You didn't mention visuals specifically. You said, "made it fell real." Morrowind felt much more immersive and "real" than Skyrim did, despite the visuals. You truly felt like you were in an alien, fantastical world. Skyrim did have a great atmosphere, but it didn't pull me into the world like Morrowind had (and I played Morrowind for the first time in 2007.)

And you were talking about a "great 3D" game anyway. Does graphics make a game great alone? 

As for a remake, 

https://www.youtube.com/channel/UCwMeA6uYyXr7N11tgBXnn8Q

View on YouTube

I met like 3D where you don't just feel like you are looking at 'potentially these games will look really good someday' to 'wow, this looks like another world.'  I felt Skyrim really did that.  Although Ryse and Shadow of Mordor really blow it out of the water.  Both them I find myselfs just looking around, across vast distances watching the caterpults fly through the air and big dog things beat up the orc, etc.

So what is this Skywind?  Is it a hobbist project? 

I've had many people tell me Oblivion was better too.  Haven't not play either Morrowind or Oblivion I don't know.  But look forward to it on 8th gen if they make it.

And I get what you mean.  In many ways I think the original Halo had more of an alien feel than the remaster.  The use of Oranges and Purples really made it feel alien, where in the remake they use more blues and it looks great, but doesn't 'feel' as alien.

I'm wondering did you ever get to play any of the Fables?

Really not sure I see any point of Consol over PC's since Kinect, Wii and other alternative ways to play have been abandoned. 

Top 50 'most fun' game list coming soon!

Tell me a funny joke!

Around the Network
Zappykins said:

So what is this Skywind?  Is it a hobbist project? 

Skywind is a Skyrim/Morrowind mod which ports all of the quests, characters, content, etc from Morrowind into Skyrim's engine. So basically you get to play the game with better graphics, voice-acting, and Skyrim gameplay. The fan developers are making their own textures, voice-acting, meshes, etc. Pretty much it is a fan-made Morrowind remake. Here is one of their development videos. 

View on YouTube

sc94597 said:

Skywind is a Skyrim/Morrowind mod which ports all of the quests, characters, content, etc from Morrowind into Skyrim's engine. So basically you get to play the game with better graphics, voice-acting, and Skyrim gameplay. The fan developers are making their own textures, voice-acting, meshes, etc. Pretty much it is a fan-made Morrowind remake. Here is one of their development videos. 

View on YouTube

Wow, that's much better than I would have expected.  Even the singers are on key, better than most all 'pop stars' and without autotune.

I do see this an eleborate plot to make me buy another verson of Skyrim for the PC so I can use the mods and play SkyWind.  I wonder what Bethesda thinks?

Here some other cool mods (Opening Spoilers)

Really not sure I see any point of Consol over PC's since Kinect, Wii and other alternative ways to play have been abandoned. 

Top 50 'most fun' game list coming soon!

Tell me a funny joke!

Zappykins said:
sc94597 said:

View on YouTube

Wow, that's much better than I would have expected.  Even the singers are on key, better than most all 'pop stars' and without autotune.

I do see this an eleborate plot to make me buy another verson of Skyrim for the PC so I can use the mods and play SkyWind.  I wonder what Bethesda thinks?

Here some other cool mods (Opening Spoilers)

As long as everything is made by the creation engine (besides new content) and it isn't being used to make a profit, I think Bethesda would be alright with it. They didn't stop Morroblivion (Morrowind ported to Oblivion's engine.) Although, I do think Bethesda should hire a few of these people involved in this mod. :D

Nope my fave system ever and still feel it's underrated.

Around the Network

It was overrated then (the most hyped launch in history, which is why it started off so well in sales before tapering off sharply in 2000), and it's even more overrated today.

I think the main reason people look back so fondly on the Dreamcast is the fact that it was SEGA's last console, and the nostalgia goggles people put on when talking about it only serve to enhance that point.

On 2/24/13, MB1025 said:
You know I was always wondering why no one ever used the dollar sign for $ony, but then I realized they have no money so it would be pointless.

Augen said:
Ruler said:

The 5th generation was way better imo. At least the ps1, saturn and n64 havent shared all the same games but had all tons of exclusives

Matter of taste, but for me 1995 was too soon to make the jump from sprites to polygons.  The games looked awful for the most part and really detracted from my experience.  I kept playing on my Genesis and SNES because I honestly felt they were superior in controls and visuals.  For example Super Mario World still looks good to me, while Mario 64 looked awful and has aged even worse to me.

The Staurn died early and honestly the N64 reminds me a lot of Wii U current situation with rare big title and then draughts.  The PS1 pretty much dominated which explains a lot how it had so many exclusives.  If we revert back to two consoles (Sony & Nintendo) for the next generation I'd imagine we'd see tons of exclusives again.  

If you dont like the early 3D graphics its really no problem because the playstation and saturn got tons of 2D sprite games.

Of course it is. If it was half as good as people make it out to be it wouldn't have flopped.

Nostalgia always makes things overrated. However, the dreamcast had its darn good fine points too. Problem was it was somewhat like the neogeo. An expensive, ahead of its time console that, that's basic library, at least for a majority of its games, were _arcade_ games.

Ultimately it failed because it did not have enough other games in addition to its arcade game library and could not at all compete with the other consoles breadth of games.

A warrior keeps death on the mind from the moment of their first breath to the moment of their last.

I've always thought it was overrated.