By using this site, you agree to our Privacy Policy and our Terms of Use. Close

Forums - Nintendo Discussion - Reggie: ‘Splatoon is aiming to do for action shooters what Mario Kart did to racing’

it has a chance,if they give it one.

if you want it to be like you stated,then treat it and market it as such

NND: 0047-7271-7918 | XBL: Nights illusion | PSN: GameNChick

Around the Network
spemanig said:
Soundwave said:

Nah I think his presence is still missing sorely from Nintendo consoles. Mario Kart is fun, but it's a bit too sugary. After about an hour of Mario Kart and Nintendo Land multi, you just want to blast your friends head off in a multiplayer game. I get it. I'm not a "dudebros" player, but sometimes I get what they're saying when they're down playing Nintendo platforms. 

This is one reason why Nintendo isn't scratching the itch many gamers have ... their competetive games are fun, but sometimes the context of the game matters. Bond was the perfect context for Nintendo's multiplayer concept, it was already Mario Kart for teenagers and adults. 

You know that when you got your boys coming over, lets fire up GoldenEye, and play until 3 AM type thing ... Nintendo has sorely, sorely missed that. 

That's also the problem with things like Metroid Prime and Zombi U that have kinda tried to fill that void ... Bond had the multiplayer aspect that they don't have. 

GoldenEye is still being paid homage to even in modern pop culture. Jimmy Fallon played it with Pierce Brosnan just a few months ago and that wasn't a Nintendo sponsored segment either. There's a fun little FPS GoldenEye homage in the new Kingsman movie too that caused a bit of a laugh in the theater I was in.

Has nothing to do with Bond. Nintendo needs any mature western IP. Doesn't need to be a shooter and doesn't need to be an established IP. The original Goldeneye is only relevant in the way that something like Mario NES is. Paying homage to it doesn't mean that people are itching for a new one or Goldeneye Reloaded, which was well recieved, would have sold better. It's only relevant as a time capsule.

Except Nintendo has tried to fill the void of GoldenEye many times with less success. Perfect Dark, then Resident Evil exclusivity, then Geist (lol), Metroid Prime, Zombi U, Bayonetta 2, were all supposed to kind take that mantle. 

The thing about Bond is the character has flexibility that those other IP really don't. Bond can get away with being colorful for example ... because the character is kind of silly (any IP where a character named Pussy Galore, Jaws, and Xenia "Onatop" can exist has a wink, wink nature to it).

Bond is silly and juvenile yet serious and debonair at the same time. I dunno, there's just something about the Bond "universe" that people allow the character to go any which way and still be successful. That's why I think it had synergy with Nintendo's other brands. 

Resident Evil? Bayonetta? Too violent straight up to vibe on a software ecosystem dominated by Mario. Metroid? Too slow, cerebral, boring. Ditto for Zombi U. 

Another type of FPS that I think would do well for Nintendo would be something akin to Left 4 Dead ... it's a FPS, but it doesn't take itself super seriously. It's basically in other words a grown up version of Nintendo's "family fun" formula with Mario Kart. That's what the sweet spot that GoldenEye hit too, but Nintendo's never really recoginized this. 

It's not as simple as just slapping violent IP on Nintendo platforms and saying "well Nintendo's got it figured out now" ... the problem is you need some nuance with approach too, not any violent IP will work.

It's not like a Bond game made today by Nintendo would have the same mechanics as a game from 1997 anyway, lol. Obviously it would be updated and play like a modern FPS, but actually games like COD are the ones that ape the Bond formula, they are all about the "walk into a room and shoot everything that moves", which GoldenEye popularized. 

I can't wait....

You know it does make sense, been watching the previews, it would make sense in that Splatoon as a game with multiple releases could do more harm to its unique style but as a single release in a gen like MK backed with good DLC could eventually lead it to be another powerhouse series with no equal alternative. This news basically means Splatoon is here to stay.

Splatoon Preview

Introduce good local multiplayer just to drop good levels for PVP and let people play in completely oversized singleplayer stages?

Around the Network

can somebody install reggie TF2 on his office pc? TF2 did what reggie wants to do with splatoon...

Well I think what he means is bridging the gap for many groups of gamers. Smash and Kart are rare types of games that draw in all types of gamers, not just fans of their genre. I think that's the kind of thing they want for Splatoon.

That`s pretty bold and admirable for Reggie to say, but that`s gonna be a pretty hard thing to do. First off, the game`s gotta be good and fun before it can do like MK did. Next, there are plenty of huge shooters out there filling the gap, so that`s likely out of the question for Splatoon to make any sort of splash. And last, it`s on the Wii U. No one aside from Ninten fans are going to care about this game.

I would like for Splatoon to do well, but I don`t think it will do as well as Reggie hopes.

Dance my pretties!

The Official Art Thread      -      The Official Manga Thread      -      The Official Starbound Thread

Wright said:

Ugh. Mario Kart is probably one of the worst Nintendo franchises out there, and the only thing it did for me was making me not want to play racing games. It overshadowed F-Zero, and that's a huge crime.

Seeing Reggie using Mario Kart as to excell Splatoon virtues only makes me more pessimistic about the later's destiny.

What, it's going to make you hate shooters and overshadow Call of Duty?

I know it won't sell gangbusters being on the Wii U, but I hope for the best success for Nintendo. This title looks very promising!

1doesnotsimply