By using this site, you agree to our Privacy Policy and our Terms of Use. Close

Forums - Nintendo Discussion - Reggie: ‘Splatoon is aiming to do for action shooters what Mario Kart did to racing’

EDIT: Welp, douburo posto

Around the Network

Nintendo should actually promote Splatoon, but we know they won't.

I wasn't that fond of the game when it was first announced, but it's growing me. Maybe I could buy it just to support a new Nintendo IP.

I think this is a typical case of thinking that "special" equals "good", I think Reggie is in for a massive letdown as this will likely be an extremely nich title, along the lines of Wonderful 101, when all is said and done.
Even Reggie himself realizes that this is far too lofty a wish, the SNES was an actual force to be reckoned with on the market and the original Mario Kart sold nearly 9 million on the roughly 50 million installed base.

The sentence "but for now, it does have a strong niche following on paper" confuses the hell out of me, by the way, isn't that a proper oxymoron? And even if it isn't to some, isn't that incredibly vague as a statement by anyone? I don't understand what they were thinking there.

Mummelmann said:
I think this is a typical case of thinking that "special" equals "good", I think Reggie is in for a massive letdown as this will likely be an extremely nich title, along the lines of Wonderful 101, when all is said and done.
Even Reggie himself realizes that this is far too lofty a wish, the SNES was an actual force to be reckoned with on the market and the original Mario Kart sold nearly 9 million on the roughly 50 million installed base.

The sentence "but for now, it does have a strong niche following on paper" confuses the hell out of me, by the way, isn't that a proper oxymoron? And even if it isn't to some, isn't that incredibly vague as a statement by anyone? I don't understand what they were thinking there.

The issue here is the approach may come across as niche but the genre is easily recognizable unlike W101 which is an action game but doesn't look like one from the distance, The SNES was a force but the N64 was not so much but that didn't stop Smash taking off and tbh Smash's approach to fighters is more niche like then Splatoon's to shooters. Strong niche following is most likely a reference to the cult following it's building up and how they'll plan to build on the first game to help the following grow, Smash had such a following to begin with that eventually that lead to the game's eventual 5.5m sales on the N64. I see what he means in that Splatoon is following the path of Smash and MK in being a sort of sub-genre in their genre.

If it was called Super Mario Combat Devolved, I think it would have a chance at having a MK effect. But without the name recognition it might struggle for attention. Also it ain't likely to be a system seller no matter how good it is. And because one thing MK had in its favour when it came on the scene was total market dominance by the Nintendo console of that generation. Splatoon is really up against it as potential to popularise a new shooter sub-genre. Had this game been on Wii, when it was at its peak, then it probably would have done extremely well and spawned a bunch of me-too games on both Wii and at least one of the HD consoles.

Also, while having somewhat different game modes and some notable differences in gameplay, you have to admit that PvZ Garden Warfare kind of already occupies a similar niche, at least insofar as being light-hearted and more focussed on fun goes. Also the split screen co-op hoarde mode is great for the somewhat less skilled player, so the game caters to that crowd who don;t really want competitive multiplayer. So Splatoon won't really be an originator in the same way MK was.

“The fundamental cause of the trouble is that in the modern world the stupid are cocksure while the intelligent are full of doubt.” - Bertrand Russell

"When the power of love overcomes the love of power, the world will know peace."

Jimi Hendrix

Around the Network

I'd say Nintendo is doing it very well!

ill wait the reviews.

not the grades, the impressions.

Ilikegames said:
“not just about kills. It’s designed to be fun no matter what your skill level is.” Titanfall?

Titanfall is based upon kills, but Titan kills count the most, Human kills are secondary and then the bots in third. This game is more about gathering as much space as possible under your paint.

What pissed me off about this game is the lack of voice chat, sometimes nintendo makes some stupid decisions.

slip123 said:
What pissed me off about this game is the lack of voice chat, sometimes nintendo makes some stupid decisions.

I've heard from Gamespot that voice chat isn't even needed. You can roam around trying to gain as much ground as possible. Its more about fun while being competitive than just being purely competitive with team strategy.