By using this site, you agree to our Privacy Policy and our Terms of Use. Close

Forums - Gaming Discussion - What's the deal with people being jerks online?

Anonymity, superior and or inferior complexes, or what they perceive to be entertaining to impress friends. Those are generally reasons. Otherwise, there are other motives.

" It has never been about acknowledgement when you achieve something. When you are acknowledged, then and only then can you achieve something. Always have your friends first to achieve your goals later." - OnlyForDisplay

Around the Network

Personally, I suck at fighting games. Never been any good with remembering all the combos. It's more or less just human nature that you're seeing. It's not just an internet thing. People do worse stuff in real life everywhere. Why would they be nicer on the net?

cfin2987@gmail.com said:
ReimTime said:

Actually most of them are just immature dicks, but there are some instances when the lack of human presence effects the communication. Communication online through either text or voice separates the individual from the visual and physical consequences. ~90% of human communication is non-verbal, and social media/online gaming disconnects us from that. This leads to keyboard warriors, raging little faggots, and kids portraying the wrong kind of social behavior because of the lack of physical presence. In person they would not display that behavior. They feel tough behind a screen.

Good on you for having such a good attitude about it! I know many people who would quit the game all together or take their rage out on the opposing player. If I get a chance, I may post all the pictures I have taken of PSN messages from salty 12 year olds. Seriously I have about 50 from playing COD4/MW#/TLOU MP

Dude, easy on the F bomb. Gay people are generally easy going as a demographic. Raging little gamers might be more appropriate seeing as I've never seen such a group of opinionated, obsessive people in my life and technically that's what they are. Raging little gamers. 

Yea my bad. Ironically talking about raging little gamers gets me worked up :p

#1 Amb-ass-ador

Aeolus451 said:
Personally, I suck at fighting games. Never been any good with remembering all the combos. It's more or less just human nature that you're seeing. It's not just an internet thing. People do worse stuff in real life everywhere. Why would they be nicer on the net?

It's been a really long time since I sat down with Tekken Tag 2.  I have not been in practice mode since starting back with it over a month ago.  I'm still going soley on what I hadn't forgotten.  It's not about remember the combos.  They don't mean anything if you can't hit the guy anway, but I get what you mean.

It's called the Greater Internet Fuckwad Theory

http://knowyourmeme.com/memes/greater-internet-fuckwad-theory

I regret making this my username, I made this name when I was 13 years old

Life could always get worse, you could be a mod for Neogaf

Around the Network

Its definitely not the high road, but I love to be a sarcastic jerk in a passive aggressive way to people who are being assholes.

For example in League of Legends, if someone is being a dick I'll post their score in global chat every time I kill them/they die. Its small, but almost always pisses them off.

Platinums: Red Dead Redemption, Killzone 2, LittleBigPlanet, Terminator Salvation, Uncharted 1, inFamous Second Son, Rocket League

cfin2987@gmail.com said:

Buy a wii U/3ds and use miiverse and play mk8 online. Otherwise wait for ip tagging to go mainstream where the IP address of the person who posts auto shows on all online communication and ip addresses will require your name address and profile. The raging masses will then quiten Down. 

In brief, give a weakling who just happens to be a dbag a massive wall to hide behind and you'll never hear the end of his loudspeakers. The nice weaklings and the rest aren't heard because they don't want to be. Everyone else is just like you. So yeah, humans are fine. You're just hearing the loud sissy dbag who is using his only opportunity to be "strong". Probably was bullied or is being bullied in real life and is using this to cope.

Might I add, that you should be happy that you feel like the majority of the human race are gobshites. I mean, that leaves the rest of us as calmer superior beings who can express ourselves logically. 

It's a faceless, often anonymous platform, with little to no actual "real world" consequences (IE people can't punch you in the face), so many people feel "phony tough", or as it is often called "Internet Tough", and feel like being assholes to people. Sometimes they're just trolling, thinking that it's funny to be mean. Other times? They're just being mean. Me? I still try (often in vein) to get ACTUAL conversation out of folks on the internet.

Imagine that, eh?

The best thing you can do, if you genuinely enjoy the game and are truly annoyed with those idiots, is to find your character and practice. Eventually, within a week or so, you'll be a force online. Copy down their usernames then invite them for a game when you're better. Then politely remind them who you are, and what they said about you after you beat them. Or if you don't want to do that, then stoop to their level and hurl insults back. Tell them you're too busy with life to learn juggling combos and that the only boobs they'll ever see are in 1080p running at 60fps.

Then record a fart in a voice message and send it to them.

There's either loud and obnoxious manboys or holier-than-thou hipsters who know more than you. It's a huge turn off.

That being said, don't let a few hardcore masturbators ruin your experience or put you down. Everything has it's fair share of wasters, from music to television shows, sports to video games.

They didn't eat their vegetables growing up, or people are just assholes when they don't have to take responsibility for what they are saying