By using this site, you agree to our Privacy Policy and our Terms of Use. Close

Forums - Gaming Discussion - What's the deal with people being jerks online?

imagine if all peoples in real life had masks ... everyone would be an asshole same as on the internet.

im not one because you can see my face in my avatar

Tsubasa Ozora

Keiner kann ihn bremsen, keiner macht ihm was vor. Immer der richtige Schuss, immer zur richtigen Zeit. Superfussball, Fairer Fussball. Er ist unser Torschützenkönig und Held.

Around the Network
kljesta64 said:

imagine if all peoples in real life had masks ... everyone would be an asshole same as on the internet.

im not one because you can see my face in my avatar

You can still get punched with a mask on.

Most people are jerks... And cowards.

welcome to the new age of society

Burning Typhoon said:

Well, quite honestly, I'm getting sick of it.  So, I thought about making a video of it, but I figured I'd post about it here, and talk about it, get my thought together, etc.

Anyway, we all know how it is.  There's that one guy with superiority complex wanting to talk down to everyone he beats in a game, yet uploads videos with a god damn potato.  So, I played Tekken Tag Tournament 2.  I lost about 10 matches.  So what.  In plenty of them were right down to the wire, so I was having fun.  I haven't practiced the game, or even played it very much in the past year.  But, for the past month, I've been trying to get back into things.

And, so anyway, we're fighting and such, and I win.  On the comment line in TTT2, I see a "**** you" pop up on screen.  And, the next fight, "scrub."  Before the guy started being a dick, I was actually enjoying myself.  I know I'm not punishing properly, and my movement isn't the greatest, but whatever.  I wasn't even keeping score.

Eventually, we finish playing, and he wants to be a total ass about how he beat me-- and yeah, he was good.  Better movement,and he punished me for whiffs, etc.  Whatever.  I hardly have a clue what's safe and unsafe other than high jabs, and he obviously did.  That stuff takes time, because you have to not only remember the numbers, but be able to react properly when you're put in a situation against it.

But, then, it hit me...  Who talks down on people they beat in games?  I first thought it was a fighting game thing, because it gets rough...  But, I've seen some pretty bad stuff on youtube from FPS games too.  And, you know what?  It's people that are losers in every other aspect of life.  Hence why they feel the need to "knock someone down a peg or two."  Away from the game, they are at the bottom, so when they find that one thing they're good at, they just go wild.

Anyway... I just don't like it when people act like they were great at it since it's release day, knowing damn well it took them a year and a half of playing nothing but that one game to get where they are.  But, I lose plenty.   And you know what?  I was playing this past weekend with friends, and lost.  No shame in it either.  I lost so much, I had to give up my controller to someone else, because I didn't win a single match.

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=CV7vfkCxvyY

And, you see that?  I lost!  I still had fun, though.  But, I had to stop.  I was playing terribly, and I knew it, so it was all cool.  But, why play online with those types of people?..  It used to not bother me, but... now, I guess it does.

It's because these types of people strive to be the best for some sense of validation they get in the virtual world because they are not getting it in real life, they take it so seriously that they are totally oblivious to the fact that video games are meant to be fun.  I have noticed this shift in the mindset of gamers since the 7th generation when those consoles went full blown online. I have done some multiplayer and yeah I have some competitiveness in me but not to the point where I am a sore winner or a sore loser. Sometimes you will have a match where you kick total arse and the very next match have your arse handed to you on a silver platter.  You win some and you lose some.... in gaming and in life, and a lot of gamers cannot handle it with maturity and class.

That is why I am a single player gamer only now, most people take gaming online way to seriously and it shows in their shitty attitudes.

You should read the comments on live streams on PS4...

e=mc^2

Gaming on: PS4 Pro, Switch, SNES Mini, Wii U, PC (i5-7400, GTX 1060)

Around the Network

Honestly, this is how competitive things are. Playing competitive games + being in a situation with a clear winner/loser with a skill based game, and this is what happens. Trash talking is common across nearly everything.

"We'll toss the dice however they fall,
And snuggle the girls be they short or tall,
Then follow young Mat whenever he calls,
To dance with Jak o' the Shadows."

Check out MyAnimeList and my Game Collection. Owner of the 5 millionth post.

outlawauron said:
Honestly, this is how competitive things are. Playing competitive games + being in a situation with a clear winner/loser with a skill based game, and this is what happens. Trash talking is common across nearly everything.

I get that.  But you know what?  Whenever I mop the floor with anyone from this day forward, I will say something nice, and try not to make it look sarcastic.  I'm not going to just let people win, but, I don't have to be a jerk when i beat someone too.  I play multiple different fighting games, no way I'm going to be pro at all of them unless I spend every waking hour with them....  I'd get burned out..

It's easier online.

I agree with you, but what can we do? Thats just how the internet is.

Because Anonymity.