By using this site, you agree to our Privacy Policy and our Terms of Use. Close

Forums - Gaming Discussion - Help me: Explain what you don't like with mobile gaming!

Tagged games:

My gripe is that they are limited to the technical specs of the peripheral that is the mobile phone. Small screens, small RAM, small space, and touchscreen controls. Another thing is that mobile games aren't meant to be played in a sit down session, ya know? Mobile games are shaped around being quick and instantaneously satisfying; which isn't necessarily bad, but it isn't seen as hardcore.I guess I have a few suggestions that may help you create a more "hardcore" game:
Gamepad support via OTG cable or Bluetooth
Actually, I lied. That's the only thing I can think of right now. You are able to play PS4 on Android via Remote Play, so you could look at that too I guess.

#1 Amb-ass-ador

Around the Network

I have nothing wrong with mobile gaming, the only issue is wading through all the crap to find the great games.

DanneSandin said:
Darwinianevolution said:
There is inherently nothing wrong with mobile gaming. The main problem with mobile games is their reputation: poorly made games (from quick cash-ins to no-games at all), horrible copycats of other games, poor controlls, blatant copyright infringement, excessive pay to win, microtransactions and timewalls, oversaturation of the market, advertisements everywhere, massive piracy... If you can avoid those problems, you'll have half the battle solved.

What does bad controls mean for you in this case? And what kinds of microtransactions don't you like? The "pay-to-win"-kinds?

If your game is free to play, try not to make microtransactions indispensable, the game has to be fun even without having to pay. If your game has an initial price, try not to use microtransactions (or make them really expansive). The game has to be good despite if wou want to pay more or not.

The controlls part depends o the type of game. THe lack of buttons can really make some games more difficult than necessary. Puzzle games are great for touch controlls, but not something more complicated.

You know it deserves the GOTY.

Come join The 2018 Obscure Game Monthly Review Thread.

There are too many microtransactions and i just seem to lose interest in most mobile games after like an hour or two of total gaming time.

They are designed not to be memorable. No one is going to think nostalgically about Angry Birds and the gameplay that it provided. If anything, the nostalgia will be linked to everything surrounding Angry Birds at the time (like the fact that you played it during your bus trips to/from school, for example).

On the other hand, everyone can look back at their different encounters and accomplishments in The Legend of Zelda fondly thanks to the music, sound effects, lore and visuals that were linked to those events. The simple graphics and controls of early video game consoles proves that hardware limitations is not a factor. Mobile games don't tend to have this sort of depth though because it's a bigger risk for the developer (more time and resources potentially wasted) while games like Angry Birds and Candy Crush have shown that making cheap games is the easiest way to success.

My advice to you? Look at your favorite NES/SNES games and think about what makes them memorable.

Around the Network

Poor controls, shallow gameplay, no meat to the core structure of the game, no proper music, tiny screen, extremely repetetive etc. I don't see a single thing with mobile games that appeals to me; the mobile factor itself is of no use since I don't enjoy any sort of media on the go, I don't even watch videos or listen to music on the subway or elsewhere.

When I'm out of the house, I'm not in a situation where I'm using my phone is such a way. When I'm at work, I work. When I'm at home, I use an actual console.

... none of these will help you. I have one game on my phone I play, this:
https://play.google.com/store/apps/details?id=com.game.BubbleShooter&hl=en
It was free and is funded by adverts but my phone is rarely connected to the net so from what I see advert free, even then I rarely play it.

Hmm, pie.

1) mobile games are typically riddled with micro transactions, and more or less require you to pay to play the game that way.

Honestly if you make a mobile game worth a damn, dont be scared to price it that way.

Noone likes micro transactions ect inside a game (be honest).

Quote from thread: " The main problem with mobile games is their reputation: poorly made games (from quick cash-ins to no-games at all)"

OP Question:  "And what kinds of microtransactions don't you like? The "pay-to-win"-kinds?"

ANY and all. For goodness, some developers just need to grow balls, make a "real" game, and market it and price it accordingly.

Without any microtrans-actions in there.  Let all the other free-to-play games be what they are, and do your own thing instead.

2) Limited controll options, this limits gameplay styles that work really well on mobile. 

suggestion:

Turn based RPGs (who cares if touch pad, controlls are bad, if you have plenty of time to make your choices in?)

Graphics arnt the be all, end of all, with rpgs, which is good since most mobile phones cant really push graphics anywhere near the PS4.

The worst suited game style for mobile, is def. the first person / 3rd person shooter fps games.

(so dont bother wasteing your time with it)

Needs to be a platformer/simulator/RPG, to be a great mobile game (I think).

A good RPG or TowerDefense game and im a happy camper.

My advice to you is look at games like FTL and Darkest Dungeon.

There was one,and only one, platformer I played through to completion on mobile. Can't think of the title off-hand, but it used old Gameboy looking graphics. Even though I would have preferred to control the movement myself, that wouldn't have worked for this game (which pushed you continually forward, so you had to negotiate all manner of obstacles). Controls were tight, but I still wished I had physical buttons. Also very few ads, or at least unobtrusive ads.