By using this site, you agree to our Privacy Policy and our Terms of Use. Close

Forums - Gaming Discussion - Help me: Explain what you don't like with mobile gaming!

Tagged games:

Physical buttons are meant for precise movement that is in core games. Something phones cant do. Phone games are shallow, copy and paste, unoriginal, and most importantly offer nothing more than 5 minutes of "ok this is a game" before you get bored because that is the entire game.

Two games that you could look at is Monument Valley and Infinity Blade which offer a little more at least. If I were to make a game though on mobiles, then id do a "recommended Gamepad controls"

Around the Network
KLXVER said:
DanneSandin said:
KLXVER said:
If you want to be successful in creating games for mobiles, then youre asking the wrong crowd here.

I'm not too sure about that. I don't think there's been a really good game made for the hardcore audience in mind yet. And besides, this is for my application to a school. I'm not developing a game yet ^^

There are a few games made for core gamers on mobiles and the good ones usually gets ported to the consoles, PC or handhelds with better gameplay.

If you want to make games for mobiles, then think more Angry Birds and less The Last Of Us.

Oh, I have a plan alright ^^ And it's neither of those two... But thanks for the help =)

I'm on Twitter @DanneSandin!

Furthermore, I think VGChartz should add a "Like"-button.

JayWood2010 said:

Physical buttons are meant for precise movement that is in core games. Something phones cant do. Phone games are shallow, copy and paste, unoriginal, and most importantly offer nothing more than 5 minutes of "ok this is a game" before you get bored because that is the entire game.

Two games that you could look at is Monument Valley and Infinity Blade which offer a little more at least. If I were to make a game though on mobiles, then id do a "recommended Gamepad controls"

So you get bored after 5 minutes of play? Why? What makes them so boring? Is it soley because of the constrols? Or the copy-paste feeling?

And thanks for the tips! I'll looking them up!

Controls are bad.

If you're interested in Nintendo content and understand german, maybe you want to take a look at my youtube channel! :)

https://www.youtube.com/user/RealGamingExpert

DanneSandin said:
Barkley said:
Microtransactions, waiting, energy system (can only play a certain amount of times in a day.) Controls depending on the type of game, often far too simplistic or feature lacking.

Great! Thanks :D What's your gripe with the controls? What's too simplistic with them? Got an example? What features would you like to have?

Touch Screen buttons for certain games types are just too unresponsive or intuitive, I couldn't play super mario bros with touch screen buttons for example. The controls have to be both intuitive and easy to use which is pretty simple if you're making an RPG or strategy game where you just press buttons to make it do certain actions but in a racing game or a platformer where you have direct control over your character it usually isn't very good. Though motion controls can work well for racing games. However racing games that use motion contorls usually you just steer and activate a boost accelerating and sometimes braking is handled automatically which is what I mean by basic.

Games are generally dumbed down for phones because the control system would be difficult on a touch screen. Having control over braking, accelerating, steering and nitro on a mobile device could be difficult.

Rpg, Strategy and other similair game types that don't have any controls obstacle could be great on mobile but almost all of them are weighed down with microtransactions and other annoying mechanics.

Then there's flappy bird, there are many games like this on mobile, there controls work well but they are very very simplistic and are based around creating an addictive loop where the person just wants to get a better and better score then themselves or friends. This short reptitive loop is an addictive mechanic used in many other games such as Moba's and rougelikes, but obviously far simpler and shorter on mobile. These games are too simplistic to engross me for more than a couple of minutes while i'm waiting for something and i'll likely never touch them again once i've finished waiting.

A rougelike game that utilizes this addictive loop would have more content and some sort of strategy while still having the entertaining "maybe this time I can do better" and competition between friends could be done very well on mobile and appeal to gamers more than most mobile games.

I think I lost my train of thought and started changing subjects rapidly but there's my brain vomit.

Around the Network
DanneSandin said:

So you get bored after 5 minutes of play? Why? What makes them so boring? Is it soley because of the constrols? Or the copy-paste feeling?

And thanks for the tips! I'll looking them up!

Both.  They feel cheap, not worth my time.  When you talk to people who have been gaming for a long time they expect more out of games than what mobile offers.  If you talk to people who dont game all the time, they think core games are too complicated, so in that case the casuals are satisfied.  Thing is, the majority of mobile games fail.  That isnt the case with core games, however mobile youre taking a lot less of a risk, after all they feel cheap for a reason

A 6" display is not as big as a 50" display. Now go fix that for my mobile phone.

If you demand respect or gratitude for your volunteer work, you're doing volunteering wrong.

I guess I dislike the small devices and that's something you can't change as a software guy.
Buttons (if they exist) are too small and weird (flat surface like the screen, clicky, unresponsive), screens are filled with stuff so the game is reduced to 50% screen, sometimes even more controls are scattered on the screen. Fast paced stuff is almost impossible because on-screen inputs make you move your fingers across the screen which always hides parts of it.
You basically only have a NES controller with bad buttons to work with because mobile devices lack input options.
You'd have to come up with a new control scheme (using what's available on every mobile device; and I wouldn't say that sensors for acceleration, gravitation, etc. are good control inputs) to get a "hardcore" game running that can be played well. But then you face millions of people who only own those devices because they are insanely easy to use, there's no way they'd be interested in a complex game so you are left with a small group of interested people who'd have to pay more to make your game a financial success which won't happen because "hardcore" gamers love small prices because they buy pretty much anything.
Off topic but I thought I'd save you days/weeks of thoughts on this. You can get around pretty much anything (no micro transactions, a well designed UI to make complex stuff easy to understand but still challenging instead of a visual novel, ...) but there's no way you can get around the lack of good input options and the screen size (not resolution) on all those devices.

RealGamingExpert said:
Controls are bad.

How and why?

DanneSandin said:
RealGamingExpert said:
Controls are bad.

How and why?

No buttons. Touch controls aren't good enough to play more complex games than turn based RPGs or Angry Birds.

If you're interested in Nintendo content and understand german, maybe you want to take a look at my youtube channel! :)

https://www.youtube.com/user/RealGamingExpert