By using this site, you agree to our Privacy Policy and our Terms of Use. Close

Forums - Gaming Discussion - Help me: Explain what you don't like with mobile gaming!

Tagged games:

JayWood2010 said:
DanneSandin said:

So you get bored after 5 minutes of play? Why? What makes them so boring? Is it soley because of the constrols? Or the copy-paste feeling?

And thanks for the tips! I'll looking them up!

Both.  They feel cheap, not worth my time.  When you talk to people who have been gaming for a long time they expect more out of games than what mobile offers.  If you talk to people who dont game all the time, they think core games are too complicated, so in that case the casuals are satisfied.  Thing is, the majority of mobile games fail.  That isnt the case with core games, however mobile youre taking a lot less of a risk, after all they feel cheap for a reason

What makes them feel so cheap?

I'm on Twitter @DanneSandin!

Furthermore, I think VGChartz should add a "Like"-button.

Around the Network
Ostro said:
I guess I dislike the small devices and that's something you can't change as a software guy.
Buttons (if they exist) are too small and weird (flat surface like the screen, clicky, unresponsive), screens are filled with stuff so the game is reduced to 50% screen, sometimes even more controls are scattered on the screen. Fast paced stuff is almost impossible because on-screen inputs make you move your fingers across the screen which always hides parts of it.
You basically only have a NES controller with bad buttons to work with because mobile devices lack input options.
You'd have to come up with a new control scheme (using what's available on every mobile device; and I wouldn't say that sensors for acceleration, gravitation, etc. are good control inputs) to get a "hardcore" game running that can be played well. But then you face millions of people who only own those devices because they are insanely easy to use, there's no way they'd be interested in a complex game so you are left with a small group of interested people who'd have to pay more to make your game a financial success which won't happen because "hardcore" gamers love small prices because they buy pretty much anything.
Off topic but I thought I'd save you days/weeks of thoughts on this. You can get around pretty much anything (no micro transactions, a well designed UI to make complex stuff easy to understand but still challenging instead of a visual novel, ...) but there's no way you can get around the lack of good input options and the screen size (not resolution) on all those devices.

I guess you don't like handheld consoles as well then? But I agree that "digital" buttons sucks ass!

DanneSandin said:

What is it you don't like with touchscreen controls? NSMB for the DS has pretty short levels and are meant to be played on the go, as are quite a few other handheld games. And I think smartphones today are more capable than the original DS, so why couldn't mobile games be good if they had better controllers?

It isn't ergonomic to hold a phone and do all the controls IMO. Another thing is there isn't as much of a feel to it as there is with a controller. Touchscreen involves a lot of dragging and lagging, and your fingers often get in the way. There isn't enough variety or custimization either.

In regards to your other questions, I think they could be better with a controller; that's why I suggested it. However, once you add a controller to the equation, you kind of defeat the purpose of mobile gaming on a phone because how are you gonna hold both at once. Handheld gaming devices exist for a reason; they are the buffer zone in between consoles and mobile phones.

That's all I got man I'm really tired. I'll try to add more to the discussion after some sleep.

#1 Amb-ass-ador

the games suck and get boring quick.

DanneSandin said:
Sixteenvolt420 said:
There are too many microtransactions and i just seem to lose interest in most mobile games after like an hour or two of total gaming time.

But WHY do you loose interest after an hour or two? What is it with mobile games that's so boring after a while?

I think that mobile games are taylor-made to be short. They cost barely nothing to the costumer, they are really short, and you need to buy another game short after. And the ones that are ment to last, usually have the intention to get microtransacctions, so you can feel your investments as worthwile.

You know it deserves the GOTY.

Come join The 2018 Obscure Game Monthly Review Thread.

Around the Network
arcaneguyver said:
There was one,and only one, platformer I played through to completion on mobile. Can't think of the title off-hand, but it used old Gameboy looking graphics. Even though I would have preferred to control the movement myself, that wouldn't have worked for this game (which pushed you continually forward, so you had to negotiate all manner of obstacles). Controls were tight, but I still wished I had physical buttons. Also very few ads, or at least unobtrusive ads.

So it was an endless runner then? If you ever remember the name of the game, please send me a PM or write it on my wall or here =) thanks!

ReimTime said:
DanneSandin said:

What is it you don't like with touchscreen controls? NSMB for the DS has pretty short levels and are meant to be played on the go, as are quite a few other handheld games. And I think smartphones today are more capable than the original DS, so why couldn't mobile games be good if they had better controllers?

It isn't ergonomic to hold a phone and do all the controls IMO. Another thing is there isn't as much of a feel to it as there is with a controller. Touchscreen involves a lot of dragging and lagging, and your fingers often get in the way. There isn't enough variety or custimization either.

In regards to your other questions, I think they could be better with a controller; that's why I suggested it. However, once you add a controller to the equation, you kind of defeat the purpose of mobile gaming on a phone because how are you gonna hold both at once. Handheld gaming devices exist for a reason; they are the buffer zone in between consoles and mobile phones.

That's all I got man I'm really tired. I'll try to add more to the discussion after some sleep.

Thanks for taking the time to answer! I'm getting some really good stuff here =)

Darwinianevolution said:
DanneSandin said:
Sixteenvolt420 said:
There are too many microtransactions and i just seem to lose interest in most mobile games after like an hour or two of total gaming time.

But WHY do you loose interest after an hour or two? What is it with mobile games that's so boring after a while?

I think that mobile games are taylor-made to be short. They cost barely nothing to the costumer, they are really short, and you need to buy another game short after. And the ones that are ment to last, usually have the intention to get microtransacctions, so you can feel your investments as worthwile.

But is a short game really all that bad? The original Mega Man's weren't all that long really, and neither were most NES platformers...

bananaking21 said:
the games suck and get boring quick.

How do they suck and why do they get boring?

PieToast said:
An interview with Rayne Payton. He was a producer for MGS4 (other than kojima) then he quit Konami to work with Microsoft, but he quit that too to work on his own.

He talks about he's recently released game and mobile gaming market and audience. You should check it out because he also mentioned how he tried to overcome the shortcomings of the touch screen to create a game for his usual audience on consoles.

http://youtu.be/hN-yoAC4Y5M

Thanks! I'll check it out! Sounds very interesting