By using this site, you agree to our Privacy Policy and our Terms of Use. Close

Forums - Nintendo Discussion - Analyst sees signs of hope for Wii U to be competitive against PS4/XOne

Somebosy missed Febuary's NPD report it 96, 000 pretty close to 100,000 in month after 2 months of one released game pretty DAMN good if you ask me

Around the Network
BlowoverKing said:
How can it compete with the PS4 and Xbox One when it can't even out sell Vita?

The wut? ;)

DexInDaJungle said:
BlowoverKing said:
How can it compete with the PS4 and Xbox One when it can't even out sell Vita?

The wut? ;)

Exactly. It can't even out sell a system no one cares about.

PSN: extremeM

PlayStation Vita Japanese Software Sales (Media Create Physical/ Famitsu Digital)

BlowoverKing said:
DexInDaJungle said:

The wut? ;)

Exactly. It can't even out sell a system no one cares about.

It can and does so nearly every week.

If you're interested in Nintendo content and understand german, maybe you want to take a look at my youtube channel! :)

https://www.youtube.com/user/RealGamingExpert

RealGamingExpert said:

Going by real numbers or made up ones?

PlayStation Vita Japanese Software Sales (Media Create Physical/ Famitsu Digital)

Around the Network
BlowoverKing said:
RealGamingExpert said:

By the numbers VGC has for the last 12 months. Wii U outsold it nearly every week.

If you're interested in Nintendo content and understand german, maybe you want to take a look at my youtube channel! :)

https://www.youtube.com/user/RealGamingExpert

RealGamingExpert said:
BlowoverKing said:
RealGamingExpert said:

By the numbers VGC has for the last 12 months. Wii U outsold it nearly every week.

Considering VGC can't even get remotely close to tracking the Vita correctly I wouldn't put to much stock into those numbers. 

Also please don't take this as an attack on the Wii U itself, it's more of an attack on the analyst.

Depends what competitive means in this instance. If the analyst considers the Vita to be competitive against the 3DS then yes the WiiU is competitive against the PS4. If the bar is higher however like let's say selling more than half of the top console, then I can't see it happening.

teigaga said:
zorg1000 said:
I see what he means in a way. Back when Wii U was doing awful pre-PS4/One, the general thought among many was, "if Wii U is doing this bad now, it will be killed once the competitors arrive", yet in 2014, Wii U sales increased despite the added competition and 2015 has even been better thus far.

Basically Wii U is largely unaffected by what's going on with the other consoles.

I remember the consensus being quite different at the time:
1. General console market is suffering, both PS4 and Xbox will sell midly.
2.Wait til Mario Kart and Smash Bros, they will save the Wii U.
3.Wait til price cut.

Obviously there were alot of different opinions going on, alot of people believed what u said but many believed what I posted as well.

When the herd loses its way, the shepard must kill the bull that leads them astray.

Soundwave said:
KLXVER said:

It desperately needs a price cut. Nintendo isn't being aggressive enough. Its mostly their own fault that the WiiU isnt selling.

Why take losses on a failed system? Nintendo knows whats up and isn't going to incur financial bleeding for a system that's going nowhere

The only thing worse than a failed system is a failed system you bled tons of money on (see: Sega Saturn, Sega Dreamcast). 

Besides it's not like $299.99 is some outrageous price. The damn thing comes with 2 free games on top of that. If you don't like it at $299.99, I don't think you're going to do backflips to get one at $249.99. What does $299.99 buy these days? Like the lowest storage version of an iPad mini? 

The Slim PS3 is still $269.99. 

I think that it has been plainly obvious for some time now that this is Nintendo's strategy.  That is why they have been extremely conservative with marketing, except for a few flagship games and why they haven't rushed to a price cut.

Incurring significant losses might temporarily boost sales but it's not going to significantly change the system's tragjectory. Even if they managed to take moves to boost sales into the 25 million consoles range, rather than the 15 million console range, this would cost them 500 million dollars on a mere $50 price cut. Incidentally I don't think that would be anywhere near enough to see a long term boost into the 10 million range.

I think Nintendo is happy to attempt to sell the console at a profit, and will only pursue price reductions when they are financially prudent, meanwhile attempting to gradually improve, or at least sustain sales, through quality exclusives.

OT: I think there is an outside chance the the Wii U could compete with, not beat, the XB1 but there is no real chance that it will impact the PS4 in any significant way.  If the PS4 continues to sell the way it has I believe it will become virtually the default first console for the majority of new buyers, with the XB1 becoming an 'also ran'.  In this scenario I could see XB1's sales plateuing, or even falling off, allowing the Wii U to compete with the XB1 for second console sales.