By using this site, you agree to our Privacy Policy and our Terms of Use. Close

Forums - Nintendo Discussion - Analyst sees signs of hope for Wii U to be competitive against PS4/XOne

There might be some weeks where it could compete against X1 but no chance against PS4.

Around the Network

It's impossible. Maybe it would have a chance if they lower the price, but, unfortunately, the Gamepad raise the price of the pack a lot, so I wouldn't count on it. And, even if they lower the price, I'm not sure if the WiiU would stand a chance fighting against XOne or PS4... It's a shame, I think that WiiU has a great game catalogue and it deserves more sales...

binary solo said:
A $199 32 GB Wii U would compete globally with Xb one pretty well and it would comnpete strongly with PS4 in Japan.

Nintendo really needs to put daylight between Xb one's price and Wii U. There is only a $50 gap right now, with Xb one having 2 free games, making the Xb one hardware effectively cheaper than Wii U. There is no way tey can compete with that with just games and figurines. What they should do is use the popularity of the figurines to cross subsidise a significant price cut, on the basis that, of course, with an increasing install base you will get even more Amiibo sales. Nintendo's problem is they are stuck with a mindset that they must make profit on hardware, which means a $199 price point is off the table. At $199 you would get several million current PS4 / Xb one owners buying a Wii U, because why the hell not at that price?

Do it Nintendo.

I get where ur coming from but there is a possibility that a price won't change things all that much.

For example, Gamecube reduced it's price by 50% in less than 2 years and it only saw total sales of less than 22 million. At its current pace Wii U will likely sell 15 million or so, with a large price reduction that may increase by a few million but is it really worth it?

When the herd loses its way, the shepard must kill the bull that leads them astray.

Hey, if there's one thing we can all agree on is Wii U is doing way better than we thought it was gonna do. With super slow starting sales, some just thought Nintendo was gonna cancel it. But Nintendo isn't Sega, they'll stick with it and eventually something good will come from it. The Wii U still has some potential blockbuster titles up its sleeve, some that haven't even been announced yet. But as of this year, Yoshi, Zelda, Mario Maker, Star Fox, Splatoon, Xenoblade X, all of them have the potential to make Nintendo a shining star this year.

It's not impossible, but Nintendo would need to play their cards right with very strategic moves to accomplish this. And Nintendo isn't consistent enough so far this gen on that front. I do think Wii U can continue to have stable sales for 2015 and 2016 if they get their price point lower and market its uniqueness in library as a desirable aspect for supplementing an existing console or PC. But again, Nintendo needs to be consistently smart on multiple fronts and I don't see that happening, especially the marketing side where they are still hit and miss despite recent improvements.

Around the Network

No, it can't be competitive. At this point, 20 mil will be a happy end to the console.

Dance my pretties!

The Official Art Thread      -      The Official Manga Thread      -      The Official Starbound Thread

binary solo said:
A $199 32 GB Wii U would compete globally with Xb one pretty well and it would comnpete strongly with PS4 in Japan.

Nintendo really needs to put daylight between Xb one's price and Wii U. There is only a $50 gap right now, with Xb one having 2 free games, making the Xb one hardware effectively cheaper than Wii U. There is no way tey can compete with that with just games and figurines. What they should do is use the popularity of the figurines to cross subsidise a significant price cut, on the basis that, of course, with an increasing install base you will get even more Amiibo sales. Nintendo's problem is they are stuck with a mindset that they must make profit on hardware, which means a $199 price point is off the table. At $199 you would get several million current PS4 / Xb one owners buying a Wii U, because why the hell not at that price?

Do it Nintendo.

I really doubt that. The Wii U is not in demand from a conceptual stand point and price won't change its audience drastically. Its not a viable replacement for someone interested in either a PS4 or X1, the audience for Wii U is mostly Nintendo fans and that will never be competetive with the mass appeal of PS4 or even the Xbox One, systems which have been driven by third party software the Wii U simply doesn't have, nor can deliver on. A $199 price might be the difference between selling 20m or 24m but not being competetive with PS4/X1. History hasn't given much evidence to the whole idea of secondary purchases as a viable means to shift systems, outside of the phenomenom known as the Wii which had a successful gimmick we have the gamecube and xbox, both dropped prices like a rock, both had compelling exclusives, both sold relatively little.

P.S I'm referencing actual figures like NPD not vgc's, which paint a closer picture betwen X1 and Wii U sales. X1 is doing 100k+ every week.

zorg1000 said:
I see what he means in a way. Back when Wii U was doing awful pre-PS4/One, the general thought among many was, "if Wii U is doing this bad now, it will be killed once the competitors arrive", yet in 2014, Wii U sales increased despite the added competition and 2015 has even been better thus far.

Basically Wii U is largely unaffected by what's going on with the other consoles.

I remember the consensus being quite different at the time:
1. General console market is suffering, both PS4 and Xbox will sell midly.
2.Wait til Mario Kart and Smash Bros, they will save the Wii U.
3.Wait til price cut.

TheGoldenBoy said:

Being competitive with PS4 and XBO, I doubt it. This will probably be the Wii U's peak year and many don't expect it to sell more than 4 million consoles. I don't see how that would be considered competitive.

But according to this logic, XBO isn't competitive for PS4, because 2014 was PS4 at 14,000,000 and XBO at 7,000,000...

Nah no way.