By using this site, you agree to our Privacy Policy and our Terms of Use. Close

Forums - Nintendo Discussion - Analyst sees signs of hope for Wii U to be competitive against PS4/XOne

I don't see why his opinion would change. They might be able to boost sales with Amiibo if they have the right software, and Mario Maker has some potential if it's marketed right. Other than that I don't see any reason for a big change.

Around the Network

Not happening.

0331 Happiness is a belt-fed weapon

they need to release a 3D Mario Galaxy successor as well as push more titles in general, bribe some of the 3rd parties, do whatever you have to do. also, again, never have seen ANY successful marketing for the Wii U, like I understand at this point they can't slash the name but you need to slam the fact that this is different than the original Wii down the consumers throats

still a huge number of casual gamers and people have literally no idea what the Wii U is. and why would they? weak commercials, a controller that looks far too similar to a handheld, and no new (traditional) 3D Mario game. Nintendo should have pushed the control pad as optional from day one by selling different sort of system packages- i.e. a more expensive one with the gamepad, and a cheaper version with a standard controller. might cost them something to have the extra skues but in the long run it would have helped so much more with system sales

I don't understand a lot of decisions they've made. to some degree I think that Nintendo fans (serious ones) are going to buy a Nintendo system regardless of all of these mis-steps, but what I don't buy is that the casual fans ( who Nintendo needs to care about more) have any idea about the Wii U or what exactly it is in terms of differences from the original Wii

its just so fundamentally flawed to have a motion control system called the Wii, and then something not at all similar (sorry, the Gamepad is not remotely similar to motion control, it's simply a touch screen controller), and name it the Wii U. strange strange strange

A price cut would help Wii U sales. It can close the gap to the Xbox one. But Nintendo needs big 3rd party games for the 2nd half of 2015 onwards. Times exclusives and other IPs that Nintendo need to have a partnership with those developers.

hsrob said:
Soundwave said:
KLXVER said:

It desperately needs a price cut. Nintendo isn't being aggressive enough. Its mostly their own fault that the WiiU isnt selling.

Why take losses on a failed system? Nintendo knows whats up and isn't going to incur financial bleeding for a system that's going nowhere

The only thing worse than a failed system is a failed system you bled tons of money on (see: Sega Saturn, Sega Dreamcast). 

Besides it's not like $299.99 is some outrageous price. The damn thing comes with 2 free games on top of that. If you don't like it at $299.99, I don't think you're going to do backflips to get one at $249.99. What does $299.99 buy these days? Like the lowest storage version of an iPad mini? 

The Slim PS3 is still $269.99. 

I think that it has been plainly obvious for some time now that this is Nintendo's strategy.  That is why they have been extremely conservative with marketing, except for a few flagship games and why they haven't rushed to a price cut.

Incurring significant losses might temporarily boost sales but it's not going to significantly change the system's tragjectory. Even if they managed to take moves to boost sales into the 25 million consoles range, rather than the 15 million console range, this would cost them 500 million dollars on a mere $50 price cut. Incidentally I don't think that would be anywhere near enough to see a long term boost into the 10 million range.

I think Nintendo is happy to attempt to sell the console at a profit, and will only pursue price reductions when they are financially prudent, meanwhile attempting to gradually improve, or at least sustain sales, through quality exclusives.

OT: I think there is an outside chance the the Wii U could compete with, not beat, the XB1 but there is no real chance that it will impact the PS4 in any significant way.  If the PS4 continues to sell the way it has I believe it will become virtually the default first console for the majority of new buyers, with the XB1 becoming an 'also ran'.  In this scenario I could see XB1's sales plateuing, or even falling off, allowing the Wii U to compete with the XB1 for second console sales.

That's why i say look to Splatoon. If Splatoon comes with a price drop, then Nintendo's going to be in this until 2017 at least. If Splatoon comes with no price drop, then Nintendo's likely not going to drop it more than $25-$50 before the next console.

Rolling along at the low sales level carries its own dangers, as they rapidly lose mindshare and market presence.

So if they want to go longer than 2016, they *need* to drop the price and at least try to keep the name out there. If they want to play it safe, they need to rush the console out the door to get the successor on the floor.

Monster Hunter: pissing me off since 2010.

Around the Network
Ka-pi96 said:

What changed then?

I think people are getting disenchanted with the Xbox One and the PS4. People kept talking about how underpowered the Wii U is but now it doesn't matter. Because both of the twins have trouble hitting supposed next gen benchmarks.

To be fair, most are going for his throat without addressing these "signs" he is referring to. He might be up to something. If only you guys knew what the signs look like.

“Simple minds have always confused great honesty with great rudeness.” - Sherlock Holmes, Elementary (2013).

"Did you guys expected some actual rational fact-based reasoning? ...you should already know I'm all about BS and fraudulence." - FunFan, VGchartz (2016)

Sadly, I am not too sure myself if the Wii U can compete, even if games like Chronicles X and a new Legend Of Zelda are due out this year. Personally, I believe Nintendo will ride the tempest that is currently increasing, profit off anything they sell, since the Wii U still sells at a profit, and try again the next generation. There are amazing titles on the Wii U, like Bayonetta 2, Wonderful 101, Pikmin 3, Monster Hunter 3 Ultimate, Hyrule Warriors, etc., but even those titles didn't do enough to help the Wii U stay competitive with its rivals. In addition, dropping below 100k in the latest NPD didn't do any favors either.

In the end though, the Wii U is a great system, but initial attempts to market the system, along with differentiating it from its predecessor and using only the existing consumer base from said predecessor were big issues which Nintendo couldn't recover from. All Nintendo needs to do is profit and try again. They will do much better the next time.

" It has never been about acknowledgement when you achieve something. When you are acknowledged, then and only then can you achieve something. Always have your friends first to achieve your goals later." - OnlyForDisplay

Even with many of it's best selling games available for it, Wii U is still selling worse than Dreamcast and GameCube. I really don't see how it can pass 20 million at this rate

bunchanumbers said:
Ka-pi96 said:

What changed then?

I think people are getting disenchanted with the Xbox One and the PS4. People kept talking about how underpowered the Wii U is but now it doesn't matter. Because both of the twins have trouble hitting supposed next gen benchmarks.

If we didn't have so many delays & remasters no one would be complaining about the PS4/Xbox One not hitting these new next gen standards. Right now people are just agitated by the fact that we at times have to sit and twiddle our thumbs awaiting the next big game. Don't get me wrong, there is enough to be played right now on both consoles, for some maybe even too much but the fact is that the big titles we've been promised haven't arrived yet. I really think once we get past the summer and onwards, it won't be such a problem.