By using this site, you agree to our Privacy Policy and our Terms of Use. Close

Forums - Nintendo Discussion - Analyst sees signs of hope for Wii U to be competitive against PS4/XOne

Ryng_Tolu said:
TheGoldenBoy said:

Being competitive with PS4 and XBO, I doubt it. This will probably be the Wii U's peak year and many don't expect it to sell more than 4 million consoles. I don't see how that would be considered competitive.

But according to this logic, XBO isn't competitive for PS4, because 2014 was PS4 at 14,000,000 and XBO at 7,000,000...

XBO is at least competitve in the USA and UK. It's obivously not competitive anywhere else. I didn't think I needed to write that because it was obvious.

Around the Network

I guess I'm trying to understand what's so bad with 9.3 million consoles sold (according to vg chartz) when their 1st party games are selling pretty well and are at least profitable.

Ljink96 said:
Hey, if there's one thing we can all agree on is Wii U is doing way better than we thought it was gonna do. With super slow starting sales, some just thought Nintendo was gonna cancel it. But Nintendo isn't Sega, they'll stick with it and eventually something good will come from it. The Wii U still has some potential blockbuster titles up its sleeve, some that haven't even been announced yet. But as of this year, Yoshi, Zelda, Mario Maker, Star Fox, Splatoon, Xenoblade X, all of them have the potential to make Nintendo a shining star this year.

No I can't agree on that. After the poor first year I was picking GC level sales and it is still looking to achieve only that at best.

“The fundamental cause of the trouble is that in the modern world the stupid are cocksure while the intelligent are full of doubt.” - Bertrand Russell

"When the power of love overcomes the love of power, the world will know peace."

Jimi Hendrix

Slade6alpha said:
I respectfully disagree.

I mean if its biggest sellers have released (I know Zelda still hasn't), and it's still having these like 40K slumps, then I don't see it ever competing.

I really think it's going to take something unexpected as opposed to the usual suspects.  That's why I keep championing Mario Maker; it's new, unique, and is the single best showcase for the Gamepad's input device.  While many "core" gamers aren't all that excited for the game, it has the most potential for mass appeal out of anything Nintendo has announced, IMO.  And I'm going to keep saying this until the game releases and proves me wrong by underperforming, lol.

Seriously though, a $249-$269 Mario Maker bundle with a new, sleeker Gamepad this holiday could go over very well in every market.

TheGoldenBoy said:
Ryng_Tolu said:

But according to this logic, XBO isn't competitive for PS4, because 2014 was PS4 at 14,000,000 and XBO at 7,000,000...

XBO is at least competitve in the USA and UK. It's obivously not competitive anywhere else. I didn't think I needed to write that because it was obvious.

In this case, Wii U is competitive at least in Japan...

If we talking about the global sales, no way, there isn't a competition, not because WiiU, but because PS4 crush both console...

Around the Network
Ryng_Tolu said:
TheGoldenBoy said:

In this case, Wii U is competitive at least in Japan...

If we talking about the global sales, no way, there isn't a competition, not because WiiU, but because PS4 crush both console...

And Japan is pretty much irrelevant for home consoles sadly. But yes, it is competitive in Japan.

Good to see some people still hopeful, but I have to disagree on that one. It might sell better this year than last year (if Zelda releases and if there is a price cut), but it'll never be competitive.

Add me on Xbox: DWTKarma 

zorg1000 said:
binary solo said:
A $199 32 GB Wii U would compete globally with Xb one pretty well and it would comnpete strongly with PS4 in Japan.

Nintendo really needs to put daylight between Xb one's price and Wii U. There is only a $50 gap right now, with Xb one having 2 free games, making the Xb one hardware effectively cheaper than Wii U. There is no way tey can compete with that with just games and figurines. What they should do is use the popularity of the figurines to cross subsidise a significant price cut, on the basis that, of course, with an increasing install base you will get even more Amiibo sales. Nintendo's problem is they are stuck with a mindset that they must make profit on hardware, which means a $199 price point is off the table. At $199 you would get several million current PS4 / Xb one owners buying a Wii U, because why the hell not at that price?

Do it Nintendo.

I get where ur coming from but there is a possibility that a price won't change things all that much.

For example, Gamecube reduced it's price by 50% in less than 2 years and it only saw total sales of less than 22 million. At its current pace Wii U will likely sell 15 million or so, with a large price reduction that may increase by a few million but is it really worth it?

I think Wii U is in a better position to benefit from a big price cut than GC. Multi console ownership is more a thing now than then, I think. And there will be some blue ocean films from gen 7 who will buy Wii U at that price so long as it comes soon. The more time between buying Wii and buying Wii U for blue ocean people, the more memories of fun times fade and attitudes of having moved on already become embedded. Then time is now, next year it will be too late.

“The fundamental cause of the trouble is that in the modern world the stupid are cocksure while the intelligent are full of doubt.” - Bertrand Russell

"When the power of love overcomes the love of power, the world will know peace."

Jimi Hendrix

RealGamingExpert said:

Lewis Ward, an industry analyst with research firm IDC, said that a year ago he would have said that their wasn’t much of a future for the Wii U, but he now feels that the console has a fighting chance against the PlayStation 4 and Xbox One. Ward says that the Wii U will never be the top selling console, but it can remain competitive.

“I don’t blame Nintendo for going back to the well. If you go back to the Wii, there were some Mario games released in the first couple years that were still selling significant volumes at the end of the Wii’s life cycle.”

“I don’t think there’s any opportunity for the Wii U to come back and be the top-selling” console, Ward said. But is it at least competitive against the Xbox and PlayStation? “If you asked me a year ago, I would have said no shot, but I do think that you see signs of hope.”

http://mynintendonews.com/2015/03/14/analyst-says-he-remains-hopeful-that-wii-u-will-be-competitive-against-xbox-one-and-playstation-4/

So basicly a year ago he was wrong, and now he is right? Huh? 

How can it compete with the PS4 and Xbox One when it can't even out sell Vita?

PSN: extremeM

PlayStation Vita Japanese Software Sales (Media Create Physical/ Famitsu Digital)