By using this site, you agree to our Privacy Policy and our Terms of Use. Close

Forums - Nintendo Discussion - Kirby is "Not" A Flop... Update: Rainbow Curse Showing "Balls" :)

Mnementh said:

Is it my turn to sigh?

They are working on different games. They might be involved for some months in one project and then for some more in other projects. These other projects also make money, you know. HAL has other projects and is part of Nintendo, where it isn't unheard of that workers get reassigned to finish up a project. So, how many of these 80 listed in the credits are even HAl-workers and hwo many are reassigned from other parts of Nintendo to finish up the project or to provide help in one special area? How many of the workers of HAL were assigned temporarily to other projects? How many were involved in Super Smash Bros, even as it was mainly developed by Namco?

Juuust a little FYI before you continue, prior to having a kid, Nintendo EAD was where she worked so..

Around the Network
Samus Aran said:
Teeqoz said:

Sounds like you ahould get a PS3

I'm thinking of getting a PS4 eventually. :p

That will not run the PS3 games, or does it got BC recently?

3DS-FC: 4511-1768-7903 (Mii-Name: Mnementh), Nintendo-Network-ID: Mnementh, Switch: SW-7706-3819-9381 (Mnementh)

my greatest games: 2017, 2018, 2019, 2020, 2021, 2022, 2023

10 years greatest game event!

bets: [peak year] [+], [1], [2], [3], [4]

Tachikoma said:
Mnementh said:

Don't sigh me. I simply don't buy it, that at a company like HAL the people all the time are committed to one project, as I don't buy the comparison with Fire Emblem (I'm aware that HD needs more detailed polygons and textures). I think all these calculations are pretty speculative. We simply have no idea, even you, as you don't work for HAL. I'm aware that many people don't work for the low wage you gave and that there are more costs than just the wage. But I also say that the figures you give are probably no lower bound for an estimate either, as it is quite possible that the core team working the full 27 months (all nearly all the time) might be pretty small. So all I saying here is, that the numbers you gave may look conclusive, but the speculation in it is still too big to take them as a measurement. The real budget might be a lot higher, but also a lot smaller. We just don't know.

Then tell me something, these full time employees at HAL, do they cease to be paid if when theyre not working on the game?, and if theyre not working on the game, or contributing towards it, what exactly are they being paid for?

Just because someone is hands-on on a project for a short time, if theyre on the payroll for a project, theyre paid regardless, that's just how it is.
Unless of course you want to try and convince people that HAL put more than 30% of their workforce on to Boxboy.

I'm guessing the rest of the team was working on Triple Deluxe and maybe started a new 3DS game after that.

Mnementh said:
Samus Aran said:

I'm thinking of getting a PS4 eventually. :p

I know, but it will get platformers as well eventually. And games like TW3, Ar;kham Knight and MGS5.

Tamron said:
Mnementh said:

Is it my turn to sigh?

They are working on different games. They might be involved for some months in one project and then for some more in other projects. These other projects also make money, you know. HAL has other projects and is part of Nintendo, where it isn't unheard of that workers get reassigned to finish up a project. So, how many of these 80 listed in the credits are even HAl-workers and hwo many are reassigned from other parts of Nintendo to finish up the project or to provide help in one special area? How many of the workers of HAL were assigned temporarily to other projects? How many were involved in Super Smash Bros, even as it was mainly developed by Namco?

Juuust a little FYI before you continue, prior to having a kid, Nintendo EAD was where she worked so..

And still the only other option for the people to work on she offers is Boxboy?

3DS-FC: 4511-1768-7903 (Mii-Name: Mnementh), Nintendo-Network-ID: Mnementh, Switch: SW-7706-3819-9381 (Mnementh)

Around the Network
Samus Aran said:
Mnementh said:

I know, but it will get platformers as well eventually. And games like TW3, Ar;kham Knight and MGS5.

Well, Tembo is announced for the system, so you're right.

Samus Aran said:

I'm guessing the rest of the team was working on Triple Deluxe and maybe started a new 3DS game after that.

Triple deluxe was completed by oct 2013, at which point it was in final stage QA prior to going gold.

Mnementh said:

And still the only other option for the people to work on she offers is Boxboy?

Oh right, yeah, they totally needed to take people off of primary projects for virtual console releases, silly me.

Tachikoma said:
Samus Aran said:

Triple deluxe was completed by oct 2013, at which point it was in final stage QA prior to going gold.

Fits the timeline, no?

RC must've been in development for longer than that. The Triple Deluxe team is probably working on a new 3DS game and I'm sure some of the staff worked on both projects.

Tachikoma said:
KLAMarine said:
Samus Aran said:

Except it wasn't made by a small team. There were around 80 people working on this game (not including localisation teams or people listed under special thanks).

That's more people than the development teams of the 3 Prime games.

So how much did it cost to pay these 80 people?

Development time - 27 months

Minimum staff salary (Before tax) 250,000y/month
Total staff salary per/month (80 staff) 20,000,000y
20,000,000y x 27 = 540,000,000
540m y at current exchange rate : $4,445,386.10

So the payment for the staffs salary alone would be, at minimum, 4.4 million usd.

That's assuming they were all in minimum-for-position jobs, and does not include localization team salary, does not include testers salary, and does not (obviously) include the higher position salarys, QA, PR, etc.

Even if you go with tbone's hopes of it hitting 300k lifetime, in selling 300k, they would need to be making $14.81 on every copy sold just to cover the absolute-minimum salary costs for the team that made it.

Not even breaking even with a lifetime estimate makes a game a flop, and I genuinely doubt Kirby RC will achieve that goal of breaking even.

And yet i'm the one told to "do some research", right, unfortunately i deal with realities not hopes and dreams.

Right. And all 80 employees worked from day one till the last day on the project. Sure.

Any message from Faxanadu is written in good faith but shall neither be binding nor construed as constituting a commitment by Faxanadu except where provided for in a written agreement signed by an authorized representative of Faxanadu. This message is intended for the use of the forum members only.

The views expressed here may be personal and/or offensive and are not necessarily the views of Faxanadu.