By using this site, you agree to our Privacy Policy and our Terms of Use. Close

Forums - Nintendo Discussion - Kirby is "Not" A Flop... Update: Rainbow Curse Showing "Balls" :)

Dunban67 said:
I have never seen a Fire Emblem game made for a console-  Wii or Wii U-       I imagine the DS and 3DS Fire Emblems I have seen are not too expensive to make-  but that may not be the case for the Wii u version- also dont have any idea how much if any TV adverstisning they will do for it which will make a big difference to-  my guess is they will not have near as big an advertising budget for FE due to little or no TV advertising-  so at this point i have no idea 

Nintendo came out and said that a Fire Emblem for Wii U would need 600k in sales to be profitable. Kirby: RC would need less than that, surely.

Official Tokyo Mirage Sessions #FE Thread

Around the Network
Skullwaker said:
Dunban67 said:
I have never seen a Fire Emblem game made for a console-  Wii or Wii U-       I imagine the DS and 3DS Fire Emblems I have seen are not too expensive to make-  but that may not be the case for the Wii u version- also dont have any idea how much if any TV adverstisning they will do for it which will make a big difference to-  my guess is they will not have near as big an advertising budget for FE due to little or no TV advertising-  so at this point i have no idea 

Nintendo came out and said that a Fire Emblem for Wii U would need 600k in sales to be profitable. Kirby: RC would need less than that, surely.

i bet the adverrtising budget is much higher for kirby due to National maybe international tv campaign that FE probanly won t have or need

As far as dev cost comparison it is hard to say w out seeing the game -  i still think the Kirby art style was difficult and expensive to make  - Kirby would have been much longer otherwise-    

Dunban67 said:
i bet the adverrtising budget is much higher for kirby due to National maybe international tv campaign that FE probanly won t have or need

As far as dev cost comparison it is hard to say w out seeing the game -  i still think the Kirby art style was difficult and expensive to make  - Kirby would have been much longer otherwise-    

Doubtful. Fire Emblem games, especially now, have huge campaigns (especially in Japan). Kirby typically only gets a TV commercial and not much else. 

It's really not hard to say that Fire Emblem costs more to make than Kirby. The cutscenes, dialogue, localization, voice acting, gameplay mechanics, etc. are much more intricate than what you would see in a Kirby game. Therefore, it's much more expensive to make. Also, Fire Emblem games are traditionally longer than Kirby games (which makes sense considering they're RPGs).

Official Tokyo Mirage Sessions #FE Thread

Dunban67 said:
Skullwaker said:

Fire Emblem Awakening had alot of marketing bro! Demo too.

Here are some examples

Commercial 1 https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=_qMTXKwIfO4

Commercial 2 https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=vLL5Cffp3a4

Just 1 country in Europe for those 2 commercials and US has had i think 3. 

Also Fire Emblem is a huge game, you also have to ask how much the game cost for all that dialogue in the game + Localization/etc which Kirby doesn't come close because nothing to do with talking/etv!

Skullwaker said:
Dunban67 said:

Doubtful. Fire Emblem games, especially now, have huge campaigns (especially in Japan). Kirby typically only gets a TV commercial and not much else. 

It's really not hard to say that Fire Emblem costs more to make than Kirby. The cutscenes, dialogue, localization, voice acting, gameplay mechanics, etc. are much more intricate than what you would see in a Kirby game. Therefore, it's much more expensive to make. Also, Fire Emblem games are traditionally longer than Kirby games (which makes sense considering they're RPGs).

You don t really have any basis to say which is more or less-  

"Kirby only gets a tv commercial"?   TV, particulalry a National campaign in the USA or perhaps international  is BY FAR the most expensive advertisng they can do -- No marketing tv campaign consist of "a commercial"  

If you want to beleive Kirby on Wii U can make money by selling 130k after 2+ months in Japan and 1 month in the US  that is your right-

But it would be nice to see some/any tangible evidence that this might be possible-    other than "its a budget title"  

All the expense you mentioned are not the "big" expenses that make 8th gen games cost 3,4+ times more to develop than Wii games-  those expenses have been part of the process for several generations -   

right now there is no guarantee that Kirby is going to even sell 500k -    

I serioulsy doubt Nintenod would be bringing FE to the Wii u if it was an expensive game to make relatively speaking 

and 600k in sales is not a "gimmie" for most games being released on the Wii u othter than the bigger titles

Around the Network
Dunban67 said:
NoirSon said:
I think people aren't quite understanding the Kirby games in general are ALWAYS made on the cheap. The budget for the main Kirby games are never at most half of what the normal Mario platform title and for spinoffs, it is less then your average Mario spin off as well usually they are built around a interesting game idea. Rainbow curse was never meant to be a big seller but like Curse Canvas, Epic Yarn, Mass Attack, Amazing Mirror, Air Ride and many Kirby spinoffs before it Nintendo took a calculated and budgeted risk.

The Wii U doesn't have the audience to have a Kirby title as successful as some we saw on the Wii, DS and 3DS, but if it sells 500k, life time I doubt it would be considered a flop. We aren't talking like this game would have massive budget like the last Tomb Raider or a Assassin's Creed title.

$15 to $20 million (including distribution, marketing cost etc.)  would be a budget title for a 1st party Wii U game

They prob have a few titles they could do for less but not many-  THis Kirby was an original art style too-  If it was so cheap to make they would have made it longer/more content

they didnt have to pay an artist or get outside personal for the artstyle, so it doesnt cost more...  and the game is a short 2d plattformer, those games arent that expensive to make if you know what you are doing. 

Well Update Sales, US has it around 200k and Japan 100k for 2015, dunno about Europe. Im guessing in the end 500k, not to bad.