By using this site, you agree to our Privacy Policy and our Terms of Use. Close

Forums - Nintendo Discussion - Kirby is "Not" A Flop... Update: Rainbow Curse Showing "Balls" :)

Samus Aran said:
tbone51 said:

Super Mario 3D World sold over 3 million copies at retail. It obviously didn't flop. It gave birth to a spin-off that was developed in less than a year (and the team was working on the next 3D Mario simultaneously) and sold over 600k retail copies already (undertracked on vgchartz). Kirby has what? 160k copies sold right now? That's not good for any retail game.

If HAL Laboratory made a traditional Kirby platformer it would have sold better. If they made a 3D Kirby platformer I think it would have sold even better than the traditional Kirby platformer. And if they made a new IP I also think it could easily outsell Kirby and the Rainbow Curse.

I agree with your second paragraph^ So there is that :)

Now for the sales, it sold 200k+, Its 110k+ in US (April 4th) and 70k+ in Japan. There is also Canada+Mexico and elsewhere not Europe/Australia its sold at. And this figure doesn't include SHIPPED Which is wher a company makes its money from (excluding Digital). Hence why ts easily over 250k+ Shipped atm. I do know Japan Shipped at least 80k back when it was released. US obviously has alot on store shelves, much more than 30k easily...

Mario & Luigi: Dream Team sold over 2 million copies. If Nintendo made more Mario Party games instead of diversifying their library then Mario Party's sales would plummet. The same argument can be made for Mario Kart. It's a much smarter strategy for Nintendo to only make one Mario Kart per gen and make dlc for the remainder of that gen. That DLC will probably make them more money than if they would make a second Mario Kart on the same console.

Ok bad example on my part, i was more trying to compare the biggest to the smallest for Spin offs (Kirby "Curse" vs Traditional/Etc)

This game doesn't look cheap, a lot of work were put into these graphics and level design. People are severly underestimating how much it can cost to develop 2D games. Read some of the Yacht Club blogs about the development history of Shovel Knight.

Well a FE HD game would need 600k+ to profit, this is nowhere near that level, also i think it was said in an article it took roughly a year to make, and its a $40 game MSRP instead of the norm $60 (or even $50), like Captain Toad a budget title was

Kirby Triple Deluxe was a smart decision, the game actually looks kinda cool. Kirby and the Rainbow Curse wasn't a smart decision however.

Well tbf, one is on 3ds and its traditional and the other a wiiu and a spin off (Curse spin off)

Around the Network
generic-user-1 said:
Dunban67 said:

Regiie said the avg Nintendo  Wii game cost $5=10 million to make including marketing -  (this was before the Wii U-  He also said it cost 3 to 4 times that to make games for the PS3 ad XB360  (due to HD and related)  the next gen was projected to cost signifaacantly more than the PS3/X360

You can say the Wii u is between the PS3 and X360 but it also has the gamepad which adds cost - so based on these basic metrics some of which are coming from Nintendo directly (And it is well documented that Iwata/Nintnedo said they were caught off guard re thehigh  cost and time it took to make HD games for the Wii U) that Kirby  (even at the low end of the avg and cost for Wii U being equivilant to PS3 X360 instead of the 8th  gen- in reality they are probably more than 7th gen) , Kirby would have cost $15-$20 million min-   And that is very conservative -   

He also said it cost alot less, sometimes under a million to make a DS game that they could profit on many of those w as little as 100k in sales-  They made a fortune on the DS and Wii

I would bet most 1st and 2nd  party Nintendo games for the Wii u that sell  less than 1 million probably lose money -   

this isnt an Avg Nintendo game, its smaller, they dont market it as much as other games and the artstyle doesnt make HD much more costly.

MK, 3dworld, smash, those games were a lot more costly than the big games on the wii(you can see it, they look sooo great), kirby not so much.

if you wanna talk about a flopping game, w8 for yoshi, thats an artstyle that costed a shitton i bet and they had massive problems it seems.

I put Kirby on the lower end of the avg- obviously it is not as big as Smash, MK8, Mario 3d world etc but it is not at the bottom either - and Kirby has been marketed a surprising amount-  I have young kids and i have seencommercials   more than many of the other Nintendo games - Not at the top but def in the top half-   

If Kirby does not sell at least 1- 1.3  million it will lose money imo      

Dunban67 said:
generic-user-1 said:

I put Kirby on the lower end of the avg- obviously it is not as big as Smash, MK8, Mario 3d world etc but it is not at the bottom either - and Kirby has been marketed a surprising amount-  I have young kids and i have seencommercials   more than many of the other Nintendo games - Not at the top but def in the top half-   

1mil-1.3mil for Kirby Games? If that were true we wouldn't have seen the last 10-12 kirby games in the past 5-7 years!

I think people aren't quite understanding the Kirby games in general are ALWAYS made on the cheap. The budget for the main Kirby games are never at most half of what the normal Mario platform title and for spinoffs, it is less then your average Mario spin off as well usually they are built around a interesting game idea. Rainbow curse was never meant to be a big seller but like Curse Canvas, Epic Yarn, Mass Attack, Amazing Mirror, Air Ride and many Kirby spinoffs before it Nintendo took a calculated and budgeted risk.

The Wii U doesn't have the audience to have a Kirby title as successful as some we saw on the Wii, DS and 3DS, but if it sells 500k, life time I doubt it would be considered a flop. We aren't talking like this game would have massive budget like the last Tomb Raider or a Assassin's Creed title.

tbone51 said:
Dunban67 said:

1mil-1.3mil for Kirby Games? If that were true we wouldn't have seen the last 10-12 kirby games in the past 5-7 years!

1-1.3 million for this Kirby game on the Wii U-   

Developing for the Wii U is 3 to 4 times more on avg than the Wii AT LEAST    and they dould do many DS games for less than 1 million (not including advertising and non dev cost)   so they would not have needed to sell anywere near 1-1.3 million for the Wii, DS and 3DS

Around the Network
NoirSon said:
I think people aren't quite understanding the Kirby games in general are ALWAYS made on the cheap. The budget for the main Kirby games are never at most half of what the normal Mario platform title and for spinoffs, it is less then your average Mario spin off as well usually they are built around a interesting game idea. Rainbow curse was never meant to be a big seller but like Curse Canvas, Epic Yarn, Mass Attack, Amazing Mirror, Air Ride and many Kirby spinoffs before it Nintendo took a calculated and budgeted risk.

The Wii U doesn't have the audience to have a Kirby title as successful as some we saw on the Wii, DS and 3DS, but if it sells 500k, life time I doubt it would be considered a flop. We aren't talking like this game would have massive budget like the last Tomb Raider or a Assassin's Creed title.

$15 to $20 million (including distribution, marketing cost etc.)  would be a budget title for a 1st party Wii U game

They prob have a few titles they could do for less but not many-  THis Kirby was an original art style too-  If it was so cheap to make they would have made it longer/more content

Dunban67 said:
tbone51 said:

Developing for the Wii U is 3 to 4 times more on avg than the Wii AT LEAST    and they dould do many DS games for less than 1 million (not including advertising and non dev cost)   so they would not have needed to sell anywere near 1-1.3 million for the Wii, DS and 3DS

And how much would a full Fire Emblem U need to profit then if Kirby needs at least 1mil-1.3mil in your opinion? 

Haha when a game selling 350,000 is considered good news you know a console is dead in the water. Bring on the NX Nintendo!

Prediction for console Lifetime sales:

Wii:100-120 million, PS3:80-110 million, 360:70-100 million

[Prediction Made 11/5/2009]

3DS: 65m, PSV: 22m, Wii U: 18-22m, PS4: 80-120m, X1: 35-55m

I gauruntee the PS5 comes out after only 5-6 years after the launch of the PS4.

[Prediction Made 6/18/2014]

Eddie_Raja said:
Haha when a game selling 350,000 is considered good news you know a console is dead in the water. Bring on the NX Nintendo!

haha.... Its more to it than that lol^

tbone51 said:
Dunban67 said:

And how much would a full Fire Emblem U need to profit then if Kirby needs at least 1mil-1.3mil in your opinion? 

I have never seen a Fire Emblem game made for a console-  Wii or Wii U-       I imagine the DS and 3DS Fire Emblems I have seen are not too expensive to make-  but that may not be the case for the Wii u version- also dont have any idea how much if any TV adverstisning they will do for it which will make a big difference to-  my guess is they will not have near as big an advertising budget for FE due to little or no TV advertising-  so at this point i have no idea