By using this site, you agree to our Privacy Policy and our Terms of Use. Close

Forums - Nintendo Discussion - Kirby is "Not" A Flop... Update: Rainbow Curse Showing "Balls" :)

tbone51 said:
Dunban67 said:

Nintendo does not get near $40 of the $0 sales tag-   you have shipping, the retailers, distribution etc   so it is alot less than $40 X 500k

I live in a small/mid size media market in the SE USA (about 600k MSA- Metropolitan  Statistical Area)    and I have seen several TV adds wathcing tv my kids-  So they are running a national or near national TV marketing campaign which is ot going to be cheap  - evn itf it was a bare bones campaign (not saying the Kirby campaign is bare bones)

there are alot more expenses to consider and some % of those 500k sales will be at lesss than $40 retail -  since its off to a slow slaes start it will prob discont a little more than most Nintendo titles  overits life time  

The game already made $4mil+ profit (going by $16 per copy), it'll sell no less than 400k WW. 

You keep saying slow start yet it just showed it went Up month over month. Why would they discontinue it? You keep ignoring the fact it has legs and the example of Kirby TD, that did 42k First month yet is over 350k SOLD by end of 2014.

I meant DISCOUNT  not discontinue- sorry-   I am not ignoring that it may hit 200k or even 500k   I am saying even w those sales they will be lucky to covering makreting and other non dev cost much less make money 

I know Kirby is not thier tp brand but it IS one of thierr major brands-  they will end up spending several million on TV marketing alone-   

How much do you think it cost them to  game this game  - just starght dev cost including music or anything else in the game 

Around the Network
generic-user-1 said:
Dunban67 said:
tbone51 said:

Nintendo is the only company that can t have a flop no matter how few sales-  ★"W101/Bayo2/Brain Age" Happy?

since when is 50,000 sales in launch week in the USA good for any game? ★ Well again it depends on what type of game, Kirby RC for this statement is FINE Because though it sold 50k First Month (not week), it sold higher its second month.  Its Total is currently over 110k, with estimated  shipments in NoA overall over 150k. There is also the fact that its not close to selling.

Ex: Kirby Triple Deluxe sold 42k First month, so it flopped/bombed right? WRONGGGG, its now over 350k by end of Dec lifetime in the US with obviously 400k+ shipped.

I guarantee this Kirby title is a flop as far as Nintendo is concerned- to bad too ★

Those are horrible numbers no matter how you look at it-  If Nintenod could make money selling 200k games they would be pumping those out non stop because the risk would be far lower and reward far higher-       

W101 and Bayo II were funded and published  by Nintendo not developed by them-  But yes unfortuatnley they were flops-  both very high quality games that should have sold far more and prob could have with the right mareting behind them-   but we will prob never know

IMO it is an insult to Nintendo to think 50k is anythng but a bomb or that they only spend a few penny s to develop any of their brand games 

Even though the game did not turn out like they hoped- the art style is still amazing and I m sure it was not cheap to make that game oterwise they would have made it much longer 

they could, but they have too support a console with AAA titles.

and there are many quality games aimed at 200-500k sales.

indy games maybe-  but there are few non indy games  (games developed by the major developers) made primarily or exclusivly for cosoles that will profit at 200-500k  these days

maybe before HD was the norm or perhps for the handhleds-  but HD console games cost to much now-  plus the Rainbow Curse is an original artstyle whohc i m sure cost more too

Dunban67 said:
zorg1000 said:

500,000×$40=$20,000,000

U really think the development+marketing budget is over $20,000,000 for a small game like this?

Nintendo does not get near $40 of the $0 sales tag-   you have shipping, the retailers, distribution etc   so it is alot less than $40 X 500k

I live in a small/mid size media market in the SE USA (about 600k MSA- Metropolitan  Statistical Area)    and I have seen several TV adds wathcing tv my kids-  So they are running a national or near national TV marketing campaign which is ot going to be cheap  - evn itf it was a bare bones campaign (not saying the Kirby campaign is bare bones)

there are alot more expenses to consider and some % of those 500k sales will be at lesss than $40 retail -  since its off to a slow slaes start it will prob discont a little more than most Nintendo titles  overits life time  

Ya, Tbone corrected me already. Let's say Nintendo gets 50% back, that's still $10 million with sales of 500k.

Nintendo games rarely get price cuts or discounts so the vast majority of sales will be full price. Once again u seem to ignore that the games 2nd month was higher than its 1st so it's not really a slow start.

When the herd loses its way, the shepard must kill the bull that leads them astray.

Dunban67 said:
tbone51 said:

The game already made $4mil+ profit (going by $16 per copy), it'll sell no less than 400k WW. 

You keep saying slow start yet it just showed it went Up month over month. Why would they discontinue it? You keep ignoring the fact it has legs and the example of Kirby TD, that did 42k First month yet is over 350k SOLD by end of 2014.

I meant DISCOUNT  not discontinue- sorry-   I am not ignoring that it may hit 200k or even 500k   I am saying even w those sales they will be lucky to covering makreting and other non dev cost much less make money 

I know Kirby is not thier tp brand but it IS one of thierr major brands-  they will end up spending several million on TV marketing alone-   

How much do you think it cost them to  game this game  - just starght dev cost including music or anything else in the game 

TV ads arent that expensive if you buy the right channel and the right time.  and nintendo can buy the cheaper timeslots because their target demographic for this game.

Dunban67 said:
tbone51 said:

Oh Discount lol. Actually i dont think discount will happen for a long long time, seeing all the 3ds/wiiu first party games, barely none have actually dropped from their initial MSRP. but if they do it wont be intill at least after 2015 is over.

As for "Cost" im going by other games that done similar (ex Captain Toad which Nintendo was extremely happy with, with i think 400k+ sold WW) and games i know were profitable that only sold 100k-500k WW.

Also the fact that its a $40 game helps out the argument it wasnt a huge pricey game to make. 

Around the Network
Dunban67 said:
zorg1000 said:

It did 52k in the launch month and another 58k in its 2nd month, putting it at 110k, people are always way too quick to call flop. Nintendo games are known for having legs and don't sell massive amounts up front. It's similar to Tropical Freeze, it debuted at 130k in Feb 2014 and by Dec 2014 was over 440k.

This game will go on to sell over 500k lifetime worldwide, not a flop for a low-budget title. 

500k lifetime sales may not even cover the marketing which for a lower budget game (compared to their AAA titles)  can easily run as much as the cost of the game itself and may even be double dev cost 

The marketing for the game was minimal at best. I wouldn't be shocked if the game is already profitable.

Dunban67 said:
generic-user-1 said:
Dunban67 said:
tbone51 said:

Nintendo is the only company that can t have a flop no matter how few sales-  ★"W101/Bayo2/Brain Age" Happy?

since when is 50,000 sales in launch week in the USA good for any game? ★ Well again it depends on what type of game, Kirby RC for this statement is FINE Because though it sold 50k First Month (not week), it sold higher its second month.  Its Total is currently over 110k, with estimated  shipments in NoA overall over 150k. There is also the fact that its not close to selling.

Ex: Kirby Triple Deluxe sold 42k First month, so it flopped/bombed right? WRONGGGG, its now over 350k by end of Dec lifetime in the US with obviously 400k+ shipped.

I guarantee this Kirby title is a flop as far as Nintendo is concerned- to bad too ★

Those are horrible numbers no matter how you look at it-  If Nintenod could make money selling 200k games they would be pumping those out non stop because the risk would be far lower and reward far higher-       

W101 and Bayo II were funded and published  by Nintendo not developed by them-  But yes unfortuatnley they were flops-  both very high quality games that should have sold far more and prob could have with the right mareting behind them-   but we will prob never know

IMO it is an insult to Nintendo to think 50k is anythng but a bomb or that they only spend a few penny s to develop any of their brand games 

Even though the game did not turn out like they hoped- the art style is still amazing and I m sure it was not cheap to make that game oterwise they would have made it much longer 

indy games maybe-  but there are few non indy games  (games developed by the major developers) made primarily or exclusivly for cosoles that will profit at 200-500k  these days

maybe before HD was the norm or perhps for the handhleds-  but HD console games cost to much now-  plus the Rainbow Curse is an original artstyle whohc i m sure cost more too

nintendo has alot of smaller games, and i guess they make a good profit with them, or they wouldnt make them.

they have way more flexible team than the other developers and they have short ways from 1 major studio to another, makes it easy to let 1 part of a team help with a  bigger game while the rest of the team is working on a smaller gamer. that brings the costs down alot.

tbone51 said:
Dunban67 said:

Oh Discount lol. Actually i dont think discount will happen for a long long time, seeing all the 3ds/wiiu first party games, barely none have actually dropped from their initial MSRP. but if they do it wont be intill at least after 2015 is over.

As for "Cost" im going by other games that done similar (ex Captain Toad which Nintendo was extremely happy with, with i think 400k+ sold WW) and games i know were profitable that only sold 100k-500k WW.

Also the fact that its a $40 game helps out the argument it wasnt a huge pricey game to make. 

What other games do you KNOw were profitable-

Being extremely happy w a games performance can just as easily be in context-  considering how poorly the Wii U is doing, they may be extremely happy to take small losses on some games instead of huge losses-   

In all my post i am not ignoring the possibiilty of 200k to 500k lifetie sales-  i am saying even with those numbers they probably won t make a profit on the Kirby game-    I would not be surprised if Captain Toad did cost much less than Kirby and the advertising budget was less it seems

Re the cost of TV adds-  a national or near national advertisng campaign that includes channels lke the Disney channel, Nickelodeon etc  would be less than prime tme Monda niht football- but still prob run several million just in the US-  no idea how much tv theyare doing in other parts of the world 

generic-user-1 said:
Dunban67 said:
generic-user-1 said:
Dunban67 said:
tbone51 said:

nintendo has alot of smaller games, and i guess they make a good profit with them, or they wouldnt make them.

they have way more flexible team than the other developers and they have short ways from 1 major studio to another, makes it easy to let 1 part of a team help with a  bigger game while the rest of the team is working on a smaller gamer. that brings the costs down alot.

I agree w you re Nintendo being more flexible in development and probably is able to make many games for less than most other major devs-  

But they are still a major developer creating/developing a game under one of their core brands (Kirby) so the budget for devlopment, marketing etc is going to be in the multi millions on a home console-   I would be surprised if all cost combined are under $10 million and could be much much higher 

edit

I don t htink much of Kataku but the linked article uses sources for most of the pertninet info contained-   It seems to give ideas how much varius games have cost or at least educated estiates (from the sources sited)  there are other articles out there that estimate and research how much it cost to develop vdieo games- obviously the cost vary  greatly depending on the game .  I do think Nintendo can make games at a comparatively lower cost than most other developers but it woudl not be multiples lower    

http://kotaku.com/how-much-does-it-cost-to-make-a-big-video-game-1501413649

im gonna buy this game when it comes out in europe, just for the soundtrack, and i always loved the kirby games