By using this site, you agree to our Privacy Policy and our Terms of Use. Close

Forums - Gaming Discussion - IGN's reaction to playing FFXV

InnocentSin said:
Goodnightmoon said:

So If I think that they are destroying the saga I´m being childish... Or maybe i´m just having a valid opinion.  I said a hundred times that FFXIII would be terrible for what they were showing for months,  no one believed me because it seemed so visually amazing and "refreshing" for the saga... and it was terrible. I was being childish then?

Forgive me for sounding offensive, but I think terms like butchering and destroying are harsh and shouldn't necessarily describe a video game. I guess I just can't see how they're destroying the saga with what we've seen so far. I agree, imo FFXIII was indeed mediocre but at the same time, there are others that think FFXIII was great. I came across an interesting quote a while back that pretty much describes the attitude of older FF fans: 

We ask Kitase if, as he settles into his 40s, he ever thinks about those members of the Final Fantasyaudience who have also grown up with the series. After all, even those players who only joined the fanbase with the seventh game in the series, the first to make a truly global impact, are now entering their 30s. Surely the expectations of these players and the things that they look out for in games are different now to what they were ten, 15 years ago. Is Square Enix interested in changing the tone or theme or style its output to meet these changing needs of the audience?

"I actually think that it's a very natural thing for players to grow out of the 
Final Fantasy series," he answers. "In terms of the age group we target with each new game, it remains the teens to 20-somethings. That said, you're right in saying that some of our staff have been working on the series for many years. They are having new experiences and growing and they inevitably do bring those new ideas and perspectives to their work. InFinal Fantasy XIII, for example, we have a greater spread of older characters in the story than we have had in the past. Satzu is older, has a family and is not really the kind of character one would normally encounter or play as in the series. But, that said, I think it's better that we keep the focus on the young generation rather than ageing the series' appeal. If players choose to stick around and continue playing the games as they grow older then that's great, but hopefully new generations will find the appeal, grow up with the series and then pass that down to the next generation as they themselves grow older".

Final Fantasy has always been developed for the Japanese teen demographic and yes FFXV seems very different but I don't see how it suggests that the franchise is being destroyed. Of course, you could be entirely correct if the game does turn out to suck. 

FFXIII is one of my favorite games and everyone I know who played it also loved it.

PS4 Game Collection

Around the Network

I'm so excited! Only 10 days left until we can finally play it :D

PS4 Game Collection

FrozenXIV said:

FFXIII is one of my favorite games and everyone I know who played it also loved it.

Exactly my point.

arcane_chaos said:
QUAKECore89 said:
Well, i'm not quite interest this game, i prefer Final Fantasy 1 & Final Fantasy 9.

nothing against but I think you're the first person ever to claim FF1 as a favorite title

Well... It's too hard to explain that i prefer FF1 don't worry i have FF4, FF5, FF6, FF7, FF8, FF9, FF10 collection in my shelf. Sigh, it's weird, i asked myself which one is better? What the heck? They're different each game, not a direct sequel, then there's FF10-2... I avoided lol. I gotta admit, i lost interest this FF15(Versus 13).... Because... I... I just want real jRPG like Chrono Trigger or FF1. I dunno, that's my weird opnion.

Goodnightmoon said:
VXIII said:

It is impressive how detailed the animations are. It makes you feel that the characters are actually living in a breathing world. Even the hair is moving with the wind. Nothing is worse than lifeless, badly animated characters.

I see what you did here

And no,  a uninspired world is worse than a lifeless animation when you are making a open fantasy world.

I'm not sure what gave you the idea. But objectively speaking. It is an art direction that aims to deliver a believable world. You don't like it, that is ok, I guess. Can you say it is bad objectively? Not really.

"Nothing is worse than lifeless characters" as when it comes role of the characters in the game universe. For example, having a life less, unrelatable character is worse than an annoying one... I didn't mean it as "the worst thing ever", even a badly written character is better than lifeless one.

Anyways, keep fighting the good fight.

Edit: Just to be clear about my point. When there is nothing to criticize other than something 100% subjective or big words no one really understand like "no FF magic" then there is nothing to argue about.

Around the Network

I think if there is a problem regarding what SE is showing with the demo, it's that it's too focused on combat. I know that's the point of the demo, but the problem is that the combat isn't really the thing that will keep people wanting to play the full game.

It's whether or not the experience will feel good. The combat could feel tedious despite playing good.

We can take the reciprocal of this for older FF games: They feel good despite playing tedious; ie random encounters and repetitive battles using the same tactics.

The simplicity of those battles grow on you. Probably because you're able to accomplish a lot with minimal input and effort.

And of course be rewarded through certain key moments in the story if you explore certain areas or do certain things.

I just hope there are extra abilities and rewards to capitilize on in FFXV

Lube Me Up

andyfromus said:
Hi. First post on here.. I personally thought the demo looked rather promising and the battle system looks fluid enough.. but I do want to point out the immensely positive response IGN gave to the demo for FInal Fantasy XIII back in 2009 (I found the game to be boring)
http://www.ign.com/articles/2009/04/20/final-fantasy-xiii-demo-hands-on?page=2

To be fair, I don't think they along with all of us expected the game to be the way it was designed.  They praised the battle system like most everybody else, but I don't think they, like us could anticipate the overraching blueprints the game was going to layout for itself.

FFXV isn't going to be nearly as restrictive.

Lube Me Up

I think I will have a lot more fun playing it when it gets really bad reviews.

If you demand respect or gratitude for your volunteer work, you're doing volunteering wrong.

VXIII said:
Goodnightmoon said:

I see what you did here

And no,  a uninspired world is worse than a lifeless animation when you are making a open fantasy world.

I'm not sure what gave you the idea. But objectively speaking. It is an art direction that aims to deliver a believable world. You don't like it, that is ok, I guess. Can you say it is bad objectively? Not really.

"Nothing is worse than lifeless characters" as when it comes role of the characters in the game universe. For example, having a life less, unrelatable character is worse than an annoying one... I didn't mean it as "the worst thing ever", even a badly written character is better than lifeless one.

Anyways, keep fighting the good fight.

Edit: Just to be clear about my point. When there is nothing to criticize other than something 100% subjective or big words no one really understand like "no FF magic" then there is nothing to argue about.

I think we should wait & see. The graphic looks overkill, what can i say.

I can't wait for the FFXV crossover event on FFXIV. :)

CPU: Ryzen 7950X
GPU: MSI 4090 SUPRIM X 24G
Motherboard: MSI MEG X670E GODLIKE
RAM: CORSAIR DOMINATOR PLATINUM 32GB DDR5
SSD: Kingston FURY Renegade 4TB
Gaming Console: PLAYSTATION 5