By using this site, you agree to our Privacy Policy and our Terms of Use. Close

Forums - Gaming Discussion - IGN's reaction to playing FFXV

Greenbeans said:
Judging from the fact the main series hasn't been good since X, I'm not getting my hopes up.

And here I am, still replaying 4-7 to this day. I don't think another Final Fantasy can one-up VI.

Fact? To each their own, but I think FFXII is absolutely fantastic.

Around the Network

I decided long ago, never to buy a game for it's looks.

bigjon said:
There has never been a mainline FF that was not a least good (FF V and XIII were just good games to me), the problem is when multiple FF games are masterpieces (IV, VI, VII, X) it makes the "good" games look worse than they are to most. I think XV can be great (8, 9, 12) quality and with the slim pickings right now for JRPGs I will take it but it won't be enough for some who want the next masterpiece.

Slim pickings?

- Final Fantasy Type-0 HD

- Edge of Eternity

- Bravely Second

- Persona 5

- SMT Devil Survivor 2: Break Record

- Xenoblade Chronicles 3D/Xenoblade Chronicles X

- Disgaea 5

- Fire Emblem If

- Codename STEAM

- Sword Art Online: Lost Song

- Final Fantasy XIV: Heavensward

- FInal Fantasy X/X2 HD (PS4)

- Tales of Zestria 

- Soul Saga

All of them releasing this year.

InnocentSin said:
Goodnightmoon said:

I see what you did here

And no,  a uninspired world is worse than a lifeless animation when you are making a open fantasy world.

*gif*

How exactly is the world of FFXV uninspired? We haven't seen the entire damn thing yet.

Just saying. By now all the world that we have seen on FFXV looks very uninspired, so realistic it has no magic at all, look the gif of the boy on the gas station... is like any road, any real road in the boring real world. Look this 

The Graphics are really awesome but... where is the inspiration? Where´s the magic? It looks so... GTA, it´s like real life, no imagination at all.  Where´s Final Fantasy? This game is so mainstream, but in a very bad way, they are trying to make a mix of what people likes to sell a ton: J-Pop bands (boy bands in general), GTA, cute rich boys on a cool expensive car taking the road to beat giants a la Monster Hunter, the concept seems soulness, childish and, again, uninspired. I used to love Final Fantasy, but i hate what they are doing to the saga, this is a butcher.

I hope it gets better when they show the whole thing. But they love the Hype, so...

Goodnightmoon said:

Just saying. By now all the world that we have seen on FFXV looks very uninspired, so realistic it has no magic at all, look the gif of the boy on the gas station... is like any road, any real road in the boring real world. Look this 

The Graphics are really awesome but... where is the inspiration? Where´s the magic? It looks so... GTA, it´s like real life, no imagination at all.  Where´s Final Fantasy? This game is so mainstream, but in a very bad way, they are trying to make a mix of what people likes to sell a ton: J-Pop bands, GTA, cute rich boys on a cool expensive car taking the road to beat giants a la Monster Hunter, the concept seems soulness, childish and, again, uninspired. I used to love Final Fantasy, but i hate what they are doing to the saga, this is a butcher.

I hope it gets better when they show the whole thing. But they love the Hype, so...

You need to get out more if you think the real world is boring. There are some amazing locales that look incredible. I don't think I understand your definition of inspiration. This game was clearly advertised as a "Fantasy taking place in reality" ever since its Versus XIII days so the whole "too realistic" thing doesn't bother me. Tbh, this game reminds of me of Final Fantasy VIII and that game didn't get as much backlash for being realistic. And how is trying "to mix what people like to sell a ton" a bad thing? Isn't that what developers supposed to do? The whole J-POP thing is clearly appealing to the Japanese culture and auidence, but Final Fantasy has ALWAYS had androgynous leads. 

The concept looks refreshing and could actually be very well done and doesn't seem childish at all. I'm not saying that this could become a masterpiece but we've just seen the tip of the iceberg. I'm a fan of FF and I didn't like the whole XIII saga but the future of the series looks bright to me. Quite frankly, I don't tihnk they're butchering anything but if you feel that way, you may want to reconsider the term "childish." 

Around the Network
InnocentSin said:

I don't tihnk they're butchering anything but if you feel that way, you may want to reconsider the term "childish." 

So If I think that they are destroying the saga I´m being childish... Or maybe i´m just having a valid opinion.  I said a hundred times that FFXIII would be terrible for what they were showing for months,  no one believed me because it seemed so visually amazing and "refreshing" for the saga... and it was terrible. I was being childish then?

I don´t think this is going to be terrible, but has no magic at all and the concept is a mess for me.

Hi. First post on here.. I personally thought the demo looked rather promising and the battle system looks fluid enough.. but I do want to point out the immensely positive response IGN gave to the demo for FInal Fantasy XIII back in 2009 (I found the game to be boring)
http://www.ign.com/articles/2009/04/20/final-fantasy-xiii-demo-hands-on?page=2

Goodnightmoon said:

So If I think that they are destroying the saga I´m being childish... Or maybe i´m just having a valid opinion.  I said a hundred times that FFXIII would be terrible for what they were showing for months,  no one believed me because it seemed so visually amazing and "refreshing" for the saga... and it was terrible. I was being childish then?

Forgive me for sounding offensive, but I think terms like butchering and destroying are harsh and shouldn't necessarily describe a video game. I guess I just can't see how they're destroying the saga with what we've seen so far. I agree, imo FFXIII was indeed mediocre but at the same time, there are others that think FFXIII was great. I came across an interesting quote a while back that pretty much describes the attitude of older FF fans: 

We ask Kitase if, as he settles into his 40s, he ever thinks about those members of the Final Fantasyaudience who have also grown up with the series. After all, even those players who only joined the fanbase with the seventh game in the series, the first to make a truly global impact, are now entering their 30s. Surely the expectations of these players and the things that they look out for in games are different now to what they were ten, 15 years ago. Is Square Enix interested in changing the tone or theme or style its output to meet these changing needs of the audience?

"I actually think that it's a very natural thing for players to grow out of the 
Final Fantasy series," he answers. "In terms of the age group we target with each new game, it remains the teens to 20-somethings. That said, you're right in saying that some of our staff have been working on the series for many years. They are having new experiences and growing and they inevitably do bring those new ideas and perspectives to their work. InFinal Fantasy XIII, for example, we have a greater spread of older characters in the story than we have had in the past. Satzu is older, has a family and is not really the kind of character one would normally encounter or play as in the series. But, that said, I think it's better that we keep the focus on the young generation rather than ageing the series' appeal. If players choose to stick around and continue playing the games as they grow older then that's great, but hopefully new generations will find the appeal, grow up with the series and then pass that down to the next generation as they themselves grow older".

Final Fantasy has always been developed for the Japanese teen demographic and yes FFXV seems very different but I don't see how it suggests that the franchise is being destroyed. Of course, you could be entirely correct if the game does turn out to suck. 

InnocentSin said:
Goodnightmoon said:

Forgive me for sounding offensive, but I think terms like butchering and destroying are harsh and shouldn't necessarily describe a video game. I guess I just can't see how they're destroying the saga with what we've seen so far. I agree, imo FFXIII was indeed mediocre but at the same time, there are others that think FFXIII was great. I came across an interesting quote a while back that pretty much describes the attitude of older FF fans: 

We ask Kitase if, as he settles into his 40s, he ever thinks about those members of the Final Fantasyaudience who have also grown up with the series. After all, even those players who only joined the fanbase with the seventh game in the series, the first to make a truly global impact, are now entering their 30s. Surely the expectations of these players and the things that they look out for in games are different now to what they were ten, 15 years ago. Is Square Enix interested in changing the tone or theme or style its output to meet these changing needs of the audience?

"I actually think that it's a very natural thing for players to grow out of the 
Final Fantasy series," he answers. "In terms of the age group we target with each new game, it remains the teens to 20-somethings. That said, you're right in saying that some of our staff have been working on the series for many years. They are having new experiences and growing and they inevitably do bring those new ideas and perspectives to their work. InFinal Fantasy XIII, for example, we have a greater spread of older characters in the story than we have had in the past. Satzu is older, has a family and is not really the kind of character one would normally encounter or play as in the series. But, that said, I think it's better that we keep the focus on the young generation rather than ageing the series' appeal. If players choose to stick around and continue playing the games as they grow older then that's great, but hopefully new generations will find the appeal, grow up with the series and then pass that down to the next generation as they themselves grow older".

Final Fantasy has always been developed for the Japanese teen demographic and yes FFXV seems very different but I don't see how it suggests that the franchise is being destroyed. Of course, you could be entirely correct if the game does turn out to suck. 

Well that sucks, I think they should be more worried about their all life consumers rather than the teenagers, with that quote they are giving me the reason, this game is made to be childish, teen childish, they are targeting an audience that i would call "MTV generation",  instead of  the final fantasy hardcore fan. I don´t think Final Fantasy VI or IX were childish (the 9 was kiddie, not childish), they were amazing "fairytales" full of charming that never gets old, what are they now? A mix of "cool" things that all the teens likes today but not tomorrow, a game "a la modè" to please the average dumb superficial teenager and sell a ton, not worried about what the FF fan wants because they are going to buy the game anyway, it´s called Final Fantasy, it will sell a ton no matter what.

Kresnik said:
I just... really can't get excited from what they've shown of the game so far, especially in this preview.

When Versus was first revealed, the majority of the footage was in this beautifully realized urban area. It looked fantastic. Sure, the grasslands stuff was a part of that trailer, but it was a small part of it.

Everything they've been showing off, apart from the original re-reveal trailer, has been grasslands. And it just does nothing for me. It reminds me of my least favourite part of FF XIII, which was the Monster-Hunter-lite part in the final quarter.

And at least XIII had combat going for it which I quite enjoyed. The fighting here looks so slow and very WRPG-esque to me. It was slow in the Versus XIII trailer but it's even slower now.

And aside from that, the whole feel of it just looks even more westernized than XIII.

I'm not feeling it right now. I'm hoping soon they show off more of the urban areas like was originally revealed; tweaks to the combat system and some more Japanese-ness (as weird as that sounds). I'm still interested in the game but right now, what they're showing is hitting all the wrong notes.

I feel mostly the same way. I am in minoirty that XIII was first entry I enjoyed since IX and nothing about XV gets me excited.  I'll play it eventually, but several other JRPGs have more attention from me.