By using this site, you agree to our Privacy Policy and our Terms of Use. Close

Forums - Gaming Discussion - IGN's reaction to playing FFXV

BraLoD said:
FrozenXIV said:
InnocentSin said:
Goodnightmoon said:

So If I think that they are destroying the saga I´m being childish... Or maybe i´m just having a valid opinion.  I said a hundred times that FFXIII would be terrible for what they were showing for months,  no one believed me because it seemed so visually amazing and "refreshing" for the saga... and it was terrible. I was being childish then?

Forgive me for sounding offensive, but I think terms like butchering and destroying are harsh and shouldn't necessarily describe a video game. I guess I just can't see how they're destroying the saga with what we've seen so far. I agree, imo FFXIII was indeed mediocre but at the same time, there are others that think FFXIII was great. I came across an interesting quote a while back that pretty much describes the attitude of older FF fans: 

We ask Kitase if, as he settles into his 40s, he ever thinks about those members of the Final Fantasyaudience who have also grown up with the series. After all, even those players who only joined the fanbase with the seventh game in the series, the first to make a truly global impact, are now entering their 30s. Surely the expectations of these players and the things that they look out for in games are different now to what they were ten, 15 years ago. Is Square Enix interested in changing the tone or theme or style its output to meet these changing needs of the audience?

"I actually think that it's a very natural thing for players to grow out of the 
Final Fantasy series," he answers. "In terms of the age group we target with each new game, it remains the teens to 20-somethings. That said, you're right in saying that some of our staff have been working on the series for many years. They are having new experiences and growing and they inevitably do bring those new ideas and perspectives to their work. InFinal Fantasy XIII, for example, we have a greater spread of older characters in the story than we have had in the past. Satzu is older, has a family and is not really the kind of character one would normally encounter or play as in the series. But, that said, I think it's better that we keep the focus on the young generation rather than ageing the series' appeal. If players choose to stick around and continue playing the games as they grow older then that's great, but hopefully new generations will find the appeal, grow up with the series and then pass that down to the next generation as they themselves grow older".

Final Fantasy has always been developed for the Japanese teen demographic and yes FFXV seems very different but I don't see how it suggests that the franchise is being destroyed. Of course, you could be entirely correct if the game does turn out to suck. 

FFXIII is one of my favorite games and everyone I know who played it also loved it.

I also enjoyed it, but it's really a ver linear game, the beggining is actually boring but it gets better.

Did you enjoyed when you reached Grand Pulse? That's were it shows how it could have been better.

Also, I would like to be able to find more weapons too, I felt it was too limited and the leveling system kinda forced.

IMO 13-2 proved how much it could evolve in gameplay, 13-2 was lots of fun to play. Had 13 been more like it people would like it more.

The game being linear didn't bother me, the game definetly gets better and better has the story progresses because we don't really know whats going on at the beginning. Each time I got home from school I was so excited to see what was going to happen next that I would play it all day.

In terms of gameplay the game surely could of been better if it was more open like XIII-2 or Lightning Returns and if it had the combat system of Lightning Returns.

I think their wasn't a lot of weapons and the weapons that we got mid-late game in XIII were to weak so I always used the early weapons that I upgraded, the leveling system was okay but I would of prefered a leveling system like FFVII where you get exp after each battles and the characters level up or something like that. FFVII and the XIII trilogy are the only FF games I played.

My favorite of the trilogy is the first one because of the story and all the beatiful cut scenes.

PS4 Game Collection