By using this site, you agree to our Privacy Policy and our Terms of Use. Close

Forums - Gaming Discussion - IGN's reaction to playing FFXV

Hynad said:
kupomogli said:
Hynad said:

Everywhere, left and right, comments have been positive. Be it from big sites, or small sites. If they'd be fishing for clicks, they would have made sure to be the first to trash the actual thing.

And anyway, the way you voice your usual negativity here, you are basically saying that whenever a game gets praised, it because that's what people want to hear. That doesn't make sense.  

Finally, just because FF XIII didn't turn as good as most people hoped for, doesn't mean FF XV has to share the same fate. We already know the two games are completely different, and that the criticism thatXIII received have been adressed positively.

Everywhere, left and right, comments for FF13 were positive as well.  Between both the PS3 and 360 there were 116 positive reviews, 18 mixed review, and 3 negative reviews.  When the game came out and the fanbase played it, it's a far cry from what the gaming community felt about it.  I mean it must be just a massive coincidence that that over 90% of journalists loved the game then around 50% of the gaming fanbase hated it. 

You can count the reviews. But how can you count the split in the fanbase?

50% ? Please, give me that list of players you are using. Surely, you know that the minority is always the most vocal?

Final Fantasy XIII is a good game but suffer from poor script and storytelling. Something is missing. Let's not forget that we don't have Hironobu Sakaguchi anymore.

Around the Network
rccsetzer said:
Hynad said:

You can count the reviews. But how can you count the split in the fanbase?

50% ? Please, give me that list of players you are using. Surely, you know that the minority is always the most vocal?

Final Fantasy XIII is a good game but suffer from poor script and storytelling. Something is missing. Let's not forget that we don't have Hironobu Sakaguchi anymore.

Oh, I'm with you there. FF XIII did disappoint me. But to say that 50% of those who played the game hated it? I'm sorry, but unless the guy is omniscient, that number doesn't hold any candle.

Now, my main problem with the stance isn't about whether or not people like XIII or not. What I think is wrong is to imply that since FF XIII disappointed, after all the hype, that XV will go the same route. Both games couldn't be more different from each other, directors, producers, designers, etc, aren't the same, and the game has shown that the main problems that people had with XIII (linearity, lack of content, etc...) are being or have already been adressed.

So, again, why can't the game be well received like VII, IX, X and to some degree XII? S-E made those games as well. 

I simply don't believe that one weaker game means that we should expect the same from now on (I don't consider XIII-2 and LR as nearly as bland and uninspired as XIII was, so I don't lump them with it.).

Hynad said:

Now, my main problem with the stance isn't about whether or not people like XIII or not. What I think is wrong is to imply that since FF XIII disappointed, after all the hype, that XV will go the same route. Both games couldn't be more different from each other, directors, producers, designers, etc, aren't the same, and the game has shown that the main problems that people had with XIII (linearity, lack of content, etc...) are being or have already been adressed.

Final Fantasy 10 is linear.  Linearity doesn't mean there's potential for it to be a bad game. 

I'm also not saying that FF15 is bad or it can't be good, because what's quote obvious, I haven't played it.  What I'm saying is that gaming journalists only write what they think their readership wants to hear.  Since Final Fantasy 15 has as many hopeful fans as it does as well as a giant AAA publisher that can take away all ad revenue at the drop of  a hat, it's to be expected that it's going to be highly praised. 

As I said, Final Fantasy 13 was highly praised and that wasn't as great of a game as just about every journalist made it out to be was it?  Like I said in the previous post, two negative reviews, 18 mixed reviews, and over 100 positive reviews, where as the internet blew up with posts about how bad this game sucked when this game was released in the west.  Maybe not 50%, but definitely not even close to the praise that journalists were giving it across the board.

Final Fantasy 13 and the rest of the 13 series weren't the only failures Square Enix has crapped out recently though.  What about Final Fantasy 14's original launch?  Final Fantasy All the Bravest?  The most recent Crystal Chronicles games?  Every chapter of FF4 The After Years except for the amazingly well done 10th chapter?  And I don't even have to play the game for this one, but Final Fantasy Explorers.  You only to gameplay videos and watch how stupid the AI is and just stands there while you hack away at them to see that this game is a piece of crap that's going to sell well for nothing more than the Final Fantasy name.

FF15 has amazing graphics and it could be a potentially great game, but I'm skeptic after the quality of their last gen games.

kupomogli said:
vivster said:
I think I will have a lot more fun playing it when it gets really bad reviews.

Stay tuned for the kuporeview?

You are not mainstream enough. People only care for mainstream reviews.

I need to see the agony on their faces when the oh so anticipated "real" Final Fantasy gets universally panned. Only then I can laugh in their faces and say: "Told you so, suckers!" Then I can finally enjoy the game.

If you demand respect or gratitude for your volunteer work, you're doing volunteering wrong.

Azuren said:
QUAKECore89 said:
Well, i'm not quite interest this game, i prefer Final Fantasy 1 & Final Fantasy 9.

Final Fantasy 9 was my last favorite, and to say you prefer FF1 is like saying a bi-plane is better than a jet.

Is there something wrong with FF1? I see a lot of people ignore this game.....

Around the Network

Only casually played FF before... But.. Is it just me or does this world look incredibly epic?! I just wanna explore all of it and seems like some fun stuff to do along the way. Definitely on my radar.

QUAKECore89 said:
Azuren said:

Final Fantasy 9 was my last favorite, and to say you prefer FF1 is like saying a bi-plane is better than a jet.

It's not that it's bad, it's just it was the first one. Due to its age, the game is incredibly bland today and many other games have surpassed it. But if its one of your favorites, than more power to you.

QUAKECore89 said:
Azuren said:

Maybe they've only played the PSP or GBA game, worse, but not as good as Origins or the NES versions.  I prefer Origins over the NES version because the damage is no longer so random, and skills like Temper and Saber actually do something but the NES version is a great game.  Origins also allows for you to auto target the next enemy if they've been killed or play classic style. 

People seem to not like missing enemies that were just killed and the specific amount of charges for each spell level but it adds a bit more depth to the game.  You can just have your black mage throwing out the most overpowered spells left and right, and you have to try and you have to remember around how much damage you've done to a specific enemy before it died.

kupomogli said:
QUAKECore89 said:
Azuren said:

Maybe they've only played the PSP or GBA game, worse, but not as good as Origins or the NES versions.  I prefer Origins over the NES version because the damage is no longer so random, and skills like Temper and Saber actually do something but the NES version is a great game.  Origins also allows for you to auto target the next enemy if they've been killed or play classic style. 

People seem to not like missing enemies that were just killed and the specific amount of charges for each spell level but it adds a bit more depth to the game.  You can just have your black mage throwing out the most overpowered spells left and right, and you have to try and you have to remember around how much damage you've done to a specific enemy before it died.

Oh no...  Not those remade handheld version & Origins is actually good, but dissapointly it looks SNES with CD-addon just like Chrono Trigger PS1(the freakin loading CD), however still love FF1 NES ver.(specially Chrono Trigger SNES ver.) because i love the original mechanism or classic style. xD

I'm currently playing FF7, so far, it's good. One person annoys me.....

deskpro2k3 said:
6/10 No playable female characters - IGN

Anita Sarkeesian joined the review team?