By using this site, you agree to our Privacy Policy and our Terms of Use. Close

Forums - Gaming Discussion - Tim Schafer Makes Racist Joke At GDC

What's a gamer gator?

Apparently some guy got really vocal about most game reviewers, being white males or females.
Then because of the sh*tstorm it kicked up, he got fired (he was black).

Now theres tons of people retweeting "notyourshield" (we wont defend your actions).

This is all about hireing more black people as game reviewers, as far as I can understand from just briefly looking at it.

Again I feel this thing is really blown out of purportions.

Around the Network
JRPGfan said:

What's a gamer gator?

Apparently some guy got really vocal about most game reviewers, being white males or females.
Then because of the sh*tstorm it kicked up, he got fired (he was black).

Now theres tons of people retweeting "notyourshield" (we wont defend your actions).

This is all about hireing more black people as game reviewers, as far as I can understand from just briefly looking at it.

Again I feel this thing is really blown out of purportions.

Oh so this is a seperate thing to gamergate? First i heard about it.

People should be hired on their merits, readers don't care about the race of whos reviewing the game.Besides, personally i give much more credit to aggregate user reviews/rating rather than the opinion of one reviewer on a site like gamespot.

Tim's behavior throughout this whole thing has been a bit of a mess, but honestly, this is in no way a racist joke and even if it was, isn't a part of Gamer Gate fighting against extreme political correctness? Tim, I disagree with your opinions, and I think that they are extremely ignorantly held, but you don't deserve this ire in this case...

People should be hired on their merits, readers don't care about the race of whos reviewing the game.

wrong!

people that tweet notyourshield do.

"People should be hired on their merits,..."

I agree wiht this line.

I still dont understand all this mess.... I mean if you read a game review, wtf does race of the person that wrote it matter?

JRPGfan said:
People should be hired on their merits, readers don't care about the race of whos reviewing the game.

wrong!

I agree wiht this line.

I still dont understand all this mess.... I mean if you read a game review, wtf does race of the person that wrote it matter?

I'll link you to a whole new level of crazy.

The irony being that she is wearing a Dr Who shirt for the photo

http://www.xojane.com/entertainment/reading-challenge-stop-reading-white-straight-cis-male-authors-for-one-year

Then I thought: What if I only read stories by a certain type of author? Instead of reading everything, I would only look at stories by women or people of color or LGBT writers. Essentially: no straight, cis, white males.

The "Reading Only X Writers For A Year" a challenge is one every person who loves to read (and who loves to write) should take. You could, like Lilit Marcus, read only books by women or, like Sunili Govinnage, read only books by people of color. Or you could choose a different axis to focus on: books by trans men and women, books by people from outside the U.S. or in translation, books by people with disabilities.

After a year of that, the next challenge would be to seek out books about or with characters that represent a marginalized identity or experience by any author. In addition to the identities listed above, I suggest: non-Christian religions or faiths, working class or poor, and asexual (as a start).

Around the Network
Nettles said:

http://www.xojane.com/entertainment/reading-challenge-stop-reading-white-straight-cis-male-authors-for-one-year

(The irony being that she is wearing a Dr Who shirt for the photo)

Then I thought: What if I only read stories by a certain type of author? Instead of reading everything, I would only look at stories by women or people of color or LGBT writers. Essentially: no straight, cis, white males.

The "Reading Only X Writers For A Year" a challenge is one every person who loves to read (and who loves to write) should take. You could, like Lilit Marcus, read only books by women or, like Sunili Govinnage, read only books by people of color. Or you could choose a different axis to focus on: books by trans men and women, books by people from outside the U.S. or in translation, books by people with disabilities.

After a year of that, the next challenge would be to seek out books about or with characters that represent a marginalized identity or experience by any author. In addition to the identities listed above, I suggest: non-Christian religions or faiths, working class or poor, and asexual (as a start).

Lmao really?

Sorry I need my Game of Thrones (song of Ice &  fire) fix.

I know how a few of my favorite authors look, but honestly? Ive never looked for authors before reading any of their works.

If I like their books, eventually I ll google new release dates for said book, and somehow stumble upon a picture of the author.

But thats usually how it works.

I dont care, as long as the writeing is well done.

"You could, like Lilit Marcus, read only books by women"

Most of the books I read are actually written by women. What is so hard about this challenge? theres plenty of good female writers.

Its just theres a few guys that are gifted writers too, that I dont feel any need to purposefully neglect.

badgenome said:
Porcupine_I said:
Just tell us the joke!

I haven't seen the video, but I assume it was this one:

Two babies died and went to heaven, and at the pearly gates they met St. Peter. The white baby approached first, and St. Peter asked, "Of what did you die, my child?"

"Crib death," said the white baby.

"Here are your wings. Now you're an angel."

The white baby flew away, and the black baby approached.

"And of what did you die, my child?" asked St. Peter.

"Crib death," said the black baby.

"Here are your wings. Now you're a bat."

Shame on you, Tim Schafer (probably)!

But that's just silly! That isn't Tim Schafer being racist, that's St. Peter being racist!

“It appeared that there had even been demonstrations to thank Big Brother for raising the chocolate ration to twenty grams a week. And only yesterday, he reflected, it had been announced that the ration was to be reduced to twenty grams a week. Was it possible that they could swallow that, after only twenty-four hours? Yes, they swallowed it.”

- George Orwell, ‘1984’

another day another hate article. these game journos should just keep their fucking opinions to themselves.

I don't even know what the fuck the problem is... its like saying a group of ppl wanna attack devs/publishers but publishers dare jot attack them. Who's the good guy here?

Intrinsic said:
Who's the good guy here?

Daniel Vávra.

Nettles said:
JRPGfan said:

wrong!

I agree wiht this line.

The irony being that she is wearing a Dr Who shirt for the photo

Ugh, it should be against the law to not kick a person in their genitals should they use the term cis.