By using this site, you agree to our Privacy Policy and our Terms of Use. Close

Forums - Gaming Discussion - Tim Schafer Makes Racist Joke At GDC

wait, was it racist cause the sockpuppet was white? Basically he was generalizing all GGers as being white?

is this correct? someone?

how is this racist lolwtf

Around the Network
badgenome said:
Anfebious said:

So that's the full quote. I have to say the joke is even worse than I had imagined and the article does a poor job at paraphrasing it.

I say we should burn the writer of the article and Tim Schafer. Both deserve no mercy.

That's because the author is a pissed off Gamergater who was too busy being indignant to actually convey any information.

Too bad. I expected more professionalism and less butthurt from a website called "Attack on Gamears"

.- -... -.-. -..

If you search for controversy, you will find it. The joke may have been in poor taste, may have been stupid, but it's not "racism".

People are so quick to become hysterical over every little thing nowadays. The unintended consequence of everything everybody says everywhere being put on the internet.

The Screamapillar is easily identified by its constant screaming—it even screams in its sleep. The Screamapillar is the favorite food of everything, is sexually attracted to fire, and needs constant reassurance or it will die.

Chevinator123 said:
wait, was it racist cause the sockpuppet was white? Basically he was generalizing all GGers as being white?

is this correct? someone?

how is this racist lolwtf

I guess because they think he was implying that all the women and/or non-white Gamergaters who use the #notyourshield hashtag are sockpuppet accounts run by white guys.

In reality, it may have just been a pun about armor and shields and these people are way overthinking it.

The sock-puppet represents #NotYourShield (which represents minorities). 

At least that is what I think they are trying to say.

Around the Network
Wildcard36qs said:

The sock-puppet represents #NotYourShield (which represents minorities). 

At least that is what I think they are trying to say.

I still don't get it.

Then again i have enough real issues to worry about.

What's the joke?

I wouldnt say racist, I would however call him a pandering asshole.

What's a gamer gator?

the joke from youtube video people linked:

Visual art becomes more and more complex.
whole teams are required assest for games, that historically could have been made by a single artist.
These days it could  take up to 8 people, to make a single peice of armor (in a game).

*pulls out sock puppet*

Puppet says... "uuuuh"
"teaseing high pitch voice" : How many gamergates does it take to make a single peice of armor?

tim: Oh gawd... I dont know.

puppet says: 50! 1 to do the modeling (of the item), 1 to do the materials, and 40!! to tweet, that is not your shield. (#thatisnotyourshield)

That is the joke.
The item peice, could be any... even a shield.

I dont think he ment it as offensive.
Hell he could be trying to help the "issue" by bringing attention to it, in the form of a joke.

To me there is no part of that, that is racist.