By using this site, you agree to our Privacy Policy and our Terms of Use. Close

Forums - Nintendo Discussion - Will the next Nintendo handheld have a HD screen?

Do you think it will?

Yes 201 63.21%

No 117 36.79%

Total:318

I don´t care honestly.
I buy their handhelds for their games not their screens.

Around the Network
sc94597 said:
curl-6 said:

The thing is though, to produce a portable that spits out Wii U grade graphics or better, at 720p, would require Nintendo to invest in high end hardware for the first time in, what, 15 years? It's just hard to see them going all out when they haven't for two generations. And there's also battery life to consider, and Nintendo's penchant for making things needlessly expensive with non-standard parts.

The DS and 3DS weren't that far behind on the tech curve. It was just Sony went all out with the hardware in their handhelds, for some reason. 

GB ~ NES * , GBA ~ SNES *, NDS ~ N64 *, 3DS ~ Gamecube *, New 3DS ~ Wii *, Next Handheld ~ Wii U * sounds about right. This is especially true if we consider that the smartphone boom has made the hardware necessary quite cheap. 

* Some ways better and some ways worse. For ecample GBA was capable of better 3D rendering while SNES had better sound. NDS has higher resolution textures which were more detailed, while N64 had texture filtering and higher polygon counts (as well as a higher resolution.) 3DS is capable of better shading and overall features, while GC has higher geometry and better textures on average. Possibly most games will run at 540p anyway, to save resources for other things, even if the display was capable of 720p. 

If we are looking at a late 2016 release, then the necessary hardware would be more mid-end than high-end, which coincides with Nintendo's history of handheld development. 

So you're saying that by the end of next year, a portable system that could run Mario Kart 8/Bayonetta 2 graphics at 720p would not be high end?

It`s hard to say what they will do, since Ninten can be kinda unpredictable at this point, but if it`s affordable enough, it may be possible, but it may go on the latter where the cheaper/easier option is better.

Dance my pretties!

The Official Art Thread      -      The Official Manga Thread      -      The Official Starbound Thread

If they are going to go with the freeform screen, it will be 720p. I think that it will be. I also think that it won't be hard to cram something along the lines of the nvidia shield into a handheld and keep the price around $250. Since the parts won't be customized to hell prices should drop pretty quick so it shouldn't be a issue.

bunchanumbers said:
I also think that it won't be hard to cram something along the lines of the nvidia shield into a handheld and keep the price around $250. Since the parts won't be customized to hell prices should drop pretty quick so it shouldn't be a issue.

I dunno, this is modern Nintendo, I doubt they'll be as price-effective as nvidia. Wii U and 3DS weren't exactly powerful for their price tag.

Around the Network

It won't. Nintendo tends to be roughly 2 generations behind in hardware.

curl-6 said:
bunchanumbers said:
I also think that it won't be hard to cram something along the lines of the nvidia shield into a handheld and keep the price around $250. Since the parts won't be customized to hell prices should drop pretty quick so it shouldn't be a issue.

I dunno, this is modern Nintendo, I doubt they'll be as price-effective as nvidia. Wii U and 3DS weren't exactly powerful for their price tag.

I think they will be going more off the shelf than ever before. It should lead to cheaper components overall. I think the most expensive part of their next handheld will be the screen itself, since it will most likely be freeform.

Materia-Blade said:
bigtakilla said:

I don't know. I just don't really see the need to do so. It may be around the same price so they may, but think about it. If the screen just had a resolution of 480p it would still be roughly double the regular 3DS resolution. That would be more than fine as far as I'm concerned. 

To me, I'm more worried about every other hardware aspect of it. If we can get a jump from where the New 3DS is now to around what the Wii U is doing, 480p here I come!

The new 3DS being able to play Xenoblade Chronicles is a HUGE leap in the right direction. Give me a bigger world with more things rendered in the world at the same time, and I don't care if it only displays in 480p.

480p is quadruple the 3ds resolution, not double. trully, 480p on a 5-6 inch display has about the same pixel density as 720p on a 20 inch. If it has two screens, the 3ds successor will probably use a 480p screen. If only one big screen, sub-hd or hd is better.

I was getting the resolution from http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Nintendo_3DS, which has the resolution at 

800×240 pixels (400×240 pixels per eye, WQVGA)

so 480p would only be double. It is wiki though, so could be wrong...

curl-6 said:
sc94597 said:

The DS and 3DS weren't that far behind on the tech curve. It was just Sony went all out with the hardware in their handhelds, for some reason. 

GB ~ NES * , GBA ~ SNES *, NDS ~ N64 *, 3DS ~ Gamecube *, New 3DS ~ Wii *, Next Handheld ~ Wii U * sounds about right. This is especially true if we consider that the smartphone boom has made the hardware necessary quite cheap. 

* Some ways better and some ways worse. For ecample GBA was capable of better 3D rendering while SNES had better sound. NDS has higher resolution textures which were more detailed, while N64 had texture filtering and higher polygon counts (as well as a higher resolution.) 3DS is capable of better shading and overall features, while GC has higher geometry and better textures on average. Possibly most games will run at 540p anyway, to save resources for other things, even if the display was capable of 720p. 

If we are looking at a late 2016 release, then the necessary hardware would be more mid-end than high-end, which coincides with Nintendo's history of handheld development. 

So you're saying that by the end of next year, a portable system that could run Mario Kart 8/Bayonetta 2 graphics at 720p would not be high end?

The hardware that is capable of doing that (and more) is high end now. With how quickly this technology is advancing, it won't be low-end by the end of 2016, but neither would it be high-end. Just a medium level technology. You have to realize that phones are running at resolutions 4-8x 720p, and while gaming might not be too heavy, there are other GPU heavy tasks these phones will be accomplishing. 

http://kyokojap.myweb.hinet.net/gpu_gflops/

And here is an article on PowerVR advancements (for information on powerful hardware that isn't Tegra.) 

http://www.macrumors.com/2014/11/10/imagination-powervr-series7/

These are suppose to release this year, so they should be high-end this year and mid-ranged next year. 

bunchanumbers said:
curl-6 said:

I think they will be going more off the shelf than ever before. It should lead to cheaper components overall. I think the most expensive part of their next handheld will be the screen itself, since it will most likely be freeform.

That would certinly be the smart thing to do, make its construction as standardized as possible to keep costs down. But sadly, Nintendo don't always do the smart thing. Look at Wii U; it's way overpriced for its power level. I don't feel I can trust modern Nintendo to be commonsensical and achieve a power-to-cost ratio as good as nvidia.