By using this site, you agree to our Privacy Policy and our Terms of Use. Close

Forums - Nintendo Discussion - Will the next Nintendo handheld have a HD screen?

Do you think it will?

Yes 201 63.21%

No 117 36.79%

Total:318
sc94597 said:
curl-6 said:

So you're saying that by the end of next year, a portable system that could run Mario Kart 8/Bayonetta 2 graphics at 720p would not be high end?

The hardware that is capable of doing that (and more) is high end now. With how quickly this technology is advancing, it won't be low-end by the end of 2016, but neither would it be high-end. Just a medium level technology. You have to realize that phones are running at resolutions 4-8x 720p, and while gaming might not be too heavy, there are other GPU heavy tasks these phones will be accomplishing. 

http://kyokojap.myweb.hinet.net/gpu_gflops/

And here is an article on PowerVR advancements (for information on powerful hardware that isn't Tegra.) 

http://www.macrumors.com/2014/11/10/imagination-powervr-series7/

These are suppose to reach this year, so they should be high-end this year and mid-ranged next year. 

But can we rely on Nintendo to opt for these modern parts instead of the mature (read: withered) graphics technology they tend to favour? And if it's coming late 2016, when would they be choosing parts, this year?

Around the Network

720p with multitouch & foldable screen would be nice!

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=n29CicBxZuw

01001011 01101001 01110011 01110011 00100000 01101101 01111001 00100000 01110011 01101000 01101001 01101110 01111001 00100000 01101101 01100101 01110100 01100001 01101100 00100000 01100001 01110011 01110011 00100001

curl-6 said:
sc94597 said:

The hardware that is capable of doing that (and more) is high end now. With how quickly this technology is advancing, it won't be low-end by the end of 2016, but neither would it be high-end. Just a medium level technology. You have to realize that phones are running at resolutions 4-8x 720p, and while gaming might not be too heavy, there are other GPU heavy tasks these phones will be accomplishing. 

http://kyokojap.myweb.hinet.net/gpu_gflops/

And here is an article on PowerVR advancements (for information on powerful hardware that isn't Tegra.) 

http://www.macrumors.com/2014/11/10/imagination-powervr-series7/

These are suppose to reach this year, so they should be high-end this year and mid-ranged next year. 

But can we rely on Nintendo to opt for these modern parts instead of the mature (read: withered) graphics technology they tend to favour? And if it's coming late 2016, when would they be choosing parts, this year?

In the past, technology in the mobile arena wasn't advancing very quickly, so Nintendo could have comprable performance for older, cheaper parts. For example, in the original NDS its ARM 9 processor was released in 2000, but the ARM 9 which released in 2004 wasn't much better, although I'm guessing more expensive. The same thing for the 3DS. What we see with Nintendo is that while they don't choose the newest parts they will choose parts that are comparable to certain newer releases (being newer =/= better.) So maybe the next handheld might not have a GT7600, but it might instead have a GX6850 (three years old by the time of release)  which is superior to the GT7600 (assuming they went the POWERVR route.) Also remember older parts might not always be cheaper. There must be a manufacturer around willing to produce them in bulk. Back when the DS released and even when the 3DS released Mobile hardware wasn't changing that rapidly. So older, outdated technology would linger and be accesible more easily and costs for these parts would remain low. Now, it would be very hard for Nintendo to find a manufactuer who will put a four year old GPU into their handheld. When the DS was around, it was no problem to get a 4 year old CPU, as the hardware was still frequently used. 

Also Nintendo will make decisions based on manufacturering costs at the time of release, not the time they put the GPU in. 

sc94597 said:

In the past, technology in the mobile arena wasn't advancing very quickly, so Nintendo could have comprable performance for older, cheaper parts. For example, in the original NDS its ARM 9 processor was released in 2000, but the ARM 9 which released in 2004 wasn't much better, although I'm guessing more expensive. The same thing for the 3DS. What we see with Nintendo is that while they don't choose the newest parts they will choose parts that are comparable to certain newer releases (being newer =/= better.) So maybe the next handheld might not have a GT7600, but it might instead have a GX6850 (three years old by the time of release)  which is superior to the GT7600 (assuming they went the POWERVR route.) Also remember older parts might not always be cheaper. There must be a manufacturer around willing to produce them in bulk. Back when the DS released and even when the 3DS released Mobile hardware wasn't changing that rapidly. So older, outdated technology would linger and be accesible more easily and costs for these parts would remain low. Now, it would be very hard for Nintendo to find a manufactuer who will put a four year old GPU into their handheld. When the DS was around, it was no problem to get a 4 year old CPU, as the hardware was still frequently used. 

Also Nintendo will make decisions based on manufacturering costs at the time of release, not the time they put the GPU in. 

A very thorough explanantion, thanks.

I just hope Nintendo sees and seizes the opportunity to take advantage of the rapid progression of mobile tech.

curl-6 said:
sc94597 said:

A very thorough explanantion, thanks.

I just hope Nintendo sees and seizes the opportunity to take advantage of the rapid progression of mobile tech.

Yeah, I'm not saying they will do it. But it's definitely a possibility, especially if they need to keep up with the Wii U and next Nintendo home console for their planned unified OS and gaming platform. Honestly I expect something around 150-250 GFLOPS which plays games at qHD (540p.) Wii U games could be ported, but might need downgrades in texture quality and asset count, and the handheld should have some advantages over the PS360 even if it isn't stronger in raw power ( such as more ram.) 

Around the Network
bigtakilla said:
Materia-Blade said:

480p is quadruple the 3ds resolution, not double. trully, 480p on a 5-6 inch display has about the same pixel density as 720p on a 20 inch. If it has two screens, the 3ds successor will probably use a 480p screen. If only one big screen, sub-hd or hd is better.

I was getting the resolution from http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Nintendo_3DS, which has the resolution at 

800×240 pixels (400×240 pixels per eye, WQVGA)

so 480p would only be double. It is wiki though, so could be wrong...

It would be quadruple quality. 3d is still 400 x 240 on 3ds.

curl-6 said:
bunchanumbers said:

I think they will be going more off the shelf than ever before. It should lead to cheaper components overall. I think the most expensive part of their next handheld will be the screen itself, since it will most likely be freeform.

That would certinly be the smart thing to do, make its construction as standardized as possible to keep costs down. But sadly, Nintendo don't always do the smart thing. Look at Wii U; it's way overpriced for its power level. I don't feel I can trust modern Nintendo to be commonsensical and achieve a power-to-cost ratio as good as nvidia.

Wii U overpriced? than the others are too.

Materia-Blade said:
bigtakilla said:
Materia-Blade said:

480p is quadruple the 3ds resolution, not double. trully, 480p on a 5-6 inch display has about the same pixel density as 720p on a 20 inch. If it has two screens, the 3ds successor will probably use a 480p screen. If only one big screen, sub-hd or hd is better.

I was getting the resolution from http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Nintendo_3DS, which has the resolution at 

800×240 pixels (400×240 pixels per eye, WQVGA)

so 480p would only be double. It is wiki though, so could be wrong...

Si why would it be quadruple quality? isn't native 480p 800X480? 

bigtakilla said:
Materia-Blade said:

Because 3ds resolution is 400 x 240. 800 x 480 is quadruple.

Materia-Blade said:
bigtakilla said:

Because 3ds resolution is 400 x 240. 800 x 480 is quadruple.

Hey, I won't agrue.