By using this site, you agree to our Privacy Policy and our Terms of Use. Close

Forums - Gaming Discussion - Battlefield 4 is 65GIGS!

Wait, how does it fit on the Bluray?

Around the Network
Ruler said:
dane007 said:
If you have an xbox one you can external hdd up to 16tb which plentiful to last the entire generation without having to delete or reinstall the games. My main concern is the ps4 as it still does nto have that support and having to delete and reinstall every game you want to get back to , is very frustrating lol.

but with ps4 you can switch the haddrive without losing any warranty, up to 2gb for example. 

I just don't get it.  The set up is actually good.  As you say we can upgrade like I have and if you delete an installed game it takes about 2 mins before you're playing the next game as you can start playing within a minute before install is even complete. 

Scisca said:
dane007 said:
If you have an xbox one you can external hdd up to 16tb which plentiful to last the entire generation without having to delete or reinstall the games. My main concern is the ps4 as it still does nto have that support and having to delete and reinstall every game you want to get back to , is very frustrating lol.

I'm thinking the totally opposite thing - PS4 is much better than Xbone. You want more space on PS4? Change the internal HDD! I hate the fact that MS made it impossible for me to swap the internal HDD. Xbone owners are stuck with that ridiculous HDD, while PS4 gamers can upgrade without thrashing the living room, they could even speed up the console with SSD/hybrid SSHD. The options are there for PS4, but not for Xbone and I just don't want any more boxes next to my TV!

BTW. And what happens when the HDD in Xbone dies?

In theory, yes. In practice, no speed boost had been measured even with a high-end SSD in all the test I've read about. Might come with driver/system updates, but until then you could as well just use any normal HDD.

Hiku said:
AlfredoTurkey said:
Kerotan said:

Another big update downloaded today bringing the total size up to 65 gigs.  I've a 1.5TB HDD but I hope developers become a little more efficient or the average HDD won't last long.  

It would be in the interest of MS AND SONY to make 1TB the standard HDD.  It would encourage more digital sales which ultimately means more profit for them. 

I honestly don't understand why people need a bigger HDD with the PS4. If you run out of room, by that point, there is going to be so many installed games that you're not playing anymore, that you should be able to just delete a few and never miss them. 

This is why I buy physical. It's much faster.

Not sure if you're aware of this, but you have to fully install your PS4/XBO games as well as have the disc inside.
Though I personally would manage my games by deleting games I no longer play, some people want to keep a lot more than that for some reason.

What I mean is, by the time someone runs out of space, there are probably going to be a few games that are just sitting on the HDD that they're not playing. If you just delete those, it's all good. If you want to revisit them down the road? Then do the same later. 

teigaga said:

I'm pretty sure the size includes patches which are on the HDD. 

Around the Network
IamAwsome said:
teigaga said:

I'm pretty sure the size includes patches which are on the HDD. 

Yeah the game has had a few ridiculously big patches and will surely get more.  

We've gone so off topic with dane in this thread that his post which was the only on topic post since the first page was ignored by me because this thread had turned into something else haha.  

I was just like,  what's he on about and moved on!  

Hiku said:
dane007 said:

I didn't say it takes 40 seconds to install the whole game. I was refering to how PS4 allows you to start playing the game around 40 secs after you start installing it:

Assassin's Creed IV:
Xbox One: 7 minutes 2 seconds
PS4: 42 seconds

Need For Speed Rivals:
XBO: 09:25
PS4: 00:32

Just Dance 2014:
XBO: 08:48
PS4: 00:45

NBA Live 14:
XBO: 16:26
PS4: 00:35

FIFA 14:
XBO: 16:06
PS4: 00:34

Madden 25:
XBO: 9:38
PS4: 00:38

These are the times it takes before the console allows you to start playing the games whilke they're installing.
As you can see there's a huge time difference between PS4 and XBO for some reason. I still haven't learned why.
I never sell or trade my games either, dating back to NES. I still have all my games.
I have a 120GB PS3, and around 30 physical discs, and around 22 digital games.
3 of those phyiscal games are currently installed on my console.
15 of the digital games are currently installed on my console. (Several of which are PS1 classics)

The amount of times I've re-installed a game however can be counted on one hand.
Metal Gear Solid 4, Resident Evil 5, Okami HD. I think that's all. Two of them was because I hadn't finished the game yet. RE5 was because I had an itch to play online co-op with a friend, and clear Nightmare mode.
I guess I don't get the itch to go back and play the old ones often at all. And that's mainly because there are soooo many games I still haven't played. Most of which I've already bought. As for trophies, why not take care of that during your first playthrough? I usually don't leave a game (that I've played thoroughly/to the end) unless I feel I'm done with it. On top of that, your skills are often better then, and can make it easier to get the trophy, rather than coming back months later and feel unfamiliar with the controls.

How many games do you feel you need to have installed at once? I keep the games I tend to play, and games I plan to go back to if I havent finished them. Along with a few digital titles just for the sake of having them there.  And I'm hovering around 35GB of free space usually. (Have lots of movies and other stuff on my PS3 as well.)

As for having more options, PS4 allows you to switch the internal drive, which unless I'm mistaken, XBO does not. And if I'm going to need a new drive, I'd much prefer changing the internal one for a few reasons. Besides internal drives generally being cheaper and faster than external ones, and external drives through USB having more latency compared to internal SATA, I don't have a lot of space left where my consoles are these days. Since PS4 and XBO are flat, you could put it on top of the console though. But personally I'd rather avoid the heat the console and external harddrive would generate for each other. So having that option is nice for me.
And the ability to play games while they're installing is also an option. One that I appreciate, because you also can't assume that everyone willingly spends their money on excessive harddrives to avoid spending a few seconds to delete things, when that money can be spent on more important things for them. And honestly, you can decide on what game to delete while you're doing other things, before you even turn on your PS4. Likewise, while the game is installing, I can spend those 40 seconds to change my clothes, check my mail, or grab an apple. I'm not completely unproductive. I know how to multitask.

Because if you're talking about not wanting any delays, the 10 minutes it takes before you're allowed to play an installing game on XBO is certainly a delay that comes to mind. I'd find other things to do during that time of course, but from your perspective, that sounds like a bigger issue to me.

are those at 100% or are those the very first chance you get to play the game while the rest of the game is installing? Cause i did that once for alien iolation when it reached 20% and teh game jammed after that. Why would want to play for 2 mins before you  have to wait for the next section to load. you will end finishing teh section it loads faster then it can download.

I hope you know that the hard drie that you have to swap with ps4 are not he standard ,5inch size which pc builders use . They use th 2.5 inch ones which are more costly and in some countries like nz, the biggest size is 1tb and for the price you pay for that i can get 3tb external hdd which XO uses. If ps4 uses the 3.5 inch size which pc builders use then i would be very happy as those are super cheap and they are as cheap as external hdd especially in nz.  Plus when you do switch your hard drive, you won't be getting all of the 1tb. Thats because as soon as you want to play your old game , you would be reinstallign it eating up that hard drive space ,  unless you enjoy swapping it back and forward.  I dont notice any latency at all. Nope it doesn't cause any extra heat. My external HDD for the XO is far away from the console. The heat from it is not even close to warm. i m using seagate and its quite cool and quiet. Ps4 gets hotter then the external HDD.  Its not the wait time. its the inconveniance after coming from hard days work to sit down and havign to decide which i should delte or not and  whether i have space or not. Its unnecessary if sony provider options for the gamers.  What happens when you have hundreds of games and one day you want to play an old one . People do get an itch. Having to do that just for that game would frustate anyone

I actually install all my games that  i have. But  with ps4 i haven't been able to do it due to lack of spce. But with XO i have all of them installed. I already used up 20% of my 3tb plus the 512gb that came with the console. So you can imagine how many games i have. I don't like spending until i platinum cause some achievements are jsut itme waster where i rather spend time playing better new games. For example AC unity, after i finish the damn game, there are co op misison taht would be fun to play on and off. If you are stuck in the ps4 situation, having to delete it just to play those mission from tiem to time , would be of greatest inconveniance.   Again if you have 100 of gmaes, you wouldnt know  how big teh game fiels are , for all the games. 

http://www.eurogamer.net/articles/digitalfoundry-2014-xbox-one-external-hard-drive-upgrade-guide. the only difference is loading times and i rather have 3tb then an ssd to shave off few seconds and pay more money for it.

Ruler said:
dane007 said:

but with ps4 you can switch the haddrive without losing any warranty, up to 2gb for example. 

Huh i don't get wher eyou are going with this? plugging a an external hdd which jsut a usb conmnection , won't lose your warranty as well and you can have up to 16tb not 2tb.  I ma guessing 2gb is a typo lol.  The harddrive you have to install for ps4 is not the standard ones you use to build your pc . its more expensive vrsion and in nz biggest i have seen is 1tb and so far i only seen people with 2tb.

Kerotan said:
dane007 said:

with the ps3 320gb was  enough for games as i got towards the end of that generation and that time i used xbox 360 as that was my primary console when i was a student. It does not tkae 40 secods to reinstall the entire game especially when its 50gb. Plus i never sell or trade my games. i keep every game i buy from every generation. For me if i  go back to it , its jsut to get few more trophies or to play the multiplayer aspect of that games. sometimes you do get teh itch to go back ot the old ones and play. For me its providng options for gamers. you can't assume all gamers love to sit down after had days work or  with their freetim  when the y have a family to figure out which to delete and which to reinstall. the free time in those situation are very precious and for msot, sitting down and putting the disc to play is what we want. no delays jsut sit and play once disc is in.

Hiku 's post above just proves my point.  It takes minutes and you can start playing almost straight away.  Your complaint is really not that big. Enough of the whole sony never learn from their mistakes because they clearly built a system with a super slick instalation method. Xboxs take way longer so I know which I'd rather have. 

the times he psoted doesn't say whether its point when you can first play it , which is 20% or is ti when it reaches 100% or even 50%.   Its very vague and doesn't sya the parameters for these test. You can't use results and claim it based on the arguement used at the moment. I know TLOU took awhile , muchb more then 40 seconds to reach 100% , same with GTA V onps4.

dane007 said:
Kerotan said:

You are the most pessimistic person in this regard I've ever met. Seriously if you were going all digital you should have bought a 2TB HDD and if not buy the games on a bloody disc!  The solution is quite simple. 

i went with all physical and evrytime you buy a physical copy , you have to install the game. the only digital stuff i have are the free indies that you get with psn plus , which i delted most due to lack of space.  Also i live in nz , and the biggest 2.5 inch internal drive is 1tb  and its quite expensive to get as well.

I  have had all sony console and they always tend to go the most expensive and inconveniant way as htey are afraid of being hack.  This is based entirely on experiening after owning all their console. Psvita is damn godo handheld but the expensive sony memory cards hodl hem back as the price of one  i can buy 3  64gb micro sd cards. It was a problem with psp , yet they did the exactly the same with psvita. 

This would be a bigger issue if installing games took longer than 2 minutes.

There's only 2 races: White and 'Political Agenda'
2 Genders: Male and 'Political Agenda'
2 Hairstyles for female characters: Long and 'Political Agenda'
2 Sexualities: Straight and 'Political Agenda'