By using this site, you agree to our Privacy Policy and our Terms of Use. Close

Forums - Gaming Discussion - Do you think a game console is a toy?

The only argument anyone can present is Video Games Consoles can fall under Consumer Electronics, HOWEVER Video games themselves will still be Toys and Games Sector.

Around the Network
Zekkyou said:
It is a toy, but i don't like to actually describe it as one. The majority of people immediately link the word with the "an object for a child to play with" definition.

Or... if you know what I mean. 

My bet with The_Liquid_Laser: I think the Switch won't surpass the PS2 as the best selling system of all time. If it does, I'll play a game of a list that The_Liquid_Laser will provide, I will have to play it for 50 hours or complete it, whatever comes first. 

Yep...  They just aren't high end enough to be more than a toy and the focus is on entertainment not business or productivity.

V-r0cK said:

It's a yes and no scenario depending on how you want to look at. I feel its somewhat in its own category that goes with PC and movies,  which i like to refer to them as 'viewing entertainment'. 

Someone posted saying that its in toyrus, but there's also bikes, basketballs, etc...which are sports. Sport also use objects to 'play' does that make sports a toy? And then there's a video game league just like nhl and nba, so does that make video games a sport? (a topic discussed too often with mix results).

I think it's really simple:

basketball, videogame console and chessboard are toys

Bike, Car and jet ski are vehicles

Movie, book and music are entertainment medias

Pc, Tv and smartphones are electronic devices

We reap what we sow

I've always viewed video games and video game consoles as toys. Anything you "play" with is pretty much a toy in my opinion, not that there's any shame in it. Toys are fun after all :P

Around the Network
Ka-pi96 said:
It's as much a toy as a TV or a computer...

^ agreed

It´s a glorified toy elevated to the state of art. But is a toy, it started being a toy and today is still a toy, because the main purpose of a console is to play games.

A game is structured playing, usually undertaken for enjoyment and sometimes used as an educational tool. Games are distinct from work, which is usually carried out for remuneration, and from art, which is more often an expression of aesthetic or ideological elements. However, the distinction is not clear-cut, and many games are also considered to be work (such as professional players of spectator sports/games) or art (such as jigsaw puzzles or games involving an artistic layout such as Mahjong, solitaire, or some video games).
Key components of games are goals, rules, challenge, and interaction. Games generally involve mental or physical stimulation, and often both. Many games help develop practical skills, serve as a form of exercise, or otherwise perform an educational, simulational, or psychological role.

Attested as early as 2600 BC, games are a universal part of human experience and present in all cultures. The Royal Game of Ur, Senet, and Mancala are some of the oldest known games.

http://en.m.wikipedia.org/wiki/Game

Yeah it's a toy. I think of playstations as toys for big boys.

Metallox said:
Zekkyou said:
It is a toy, but i don't like to actually describe it as one. The majority of people immediately link the word with the "an object for a child to play with" definition.

Or... if you know what I mean. 

When people talk about those they tend to attach a qualifier. "Look at my nice new [xyz] toy" :p