By using this site, you agree to our Privacy Policy and our Terms of Use. Close

Forums - Gaming Discussion - Do you think a game console is a toy?

theprof00 said:
Game_God said:
theprof00 said:

So a cell phone is a toy?

You answered yourself the question... I invite you to check my previous posts on this thread if you are really interested on what I think about this matter ;)

I quoted you a bunch of times and you decided not to respond.

... I think you are being a little harsh on me ;P you quoted me 3 times & answered you 2 times. The first quote you made was a subject I had already adressed in another post so I didn't want to repeat myself :)

To end this topic, I don't care what gamers label their consoles, they can say it's a flux capacitor for all I care, I just think it's important to be precise with language & call things by their name. This thread just showed how some gamers are insecure about their hobby & insecure in general regarding the perception other persons have of them playing games.

My gaming (the games I play, the devices I use) is not a status thing, I do it for me & enjoy it with my friends!

Take care ;)

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=n29CicBxZuw

01001011 01101001 01110011 01110011 00100000 01101101 01111001 00100000 01110011 01101000 01101001 01101110 01111001 00100000 01101101 01100101 01110100 01100001 01101100 00100000 01100001 01110011 01110011 00100001

Around the Network
160rmf said:
-Ack!- said:

For example: you play games, but you don't play with games. Same way you don't play toys, you play with toys. Toys are tools to play with same way that tennis racket is a tool to play tennis.

Tl;dr - The point is that a toy is not the only definition of a tool of entertainment it is just one of many different tools that match with the English verb "to play (with)".

I play games with my console, i play games with my basketball, i play games with cardgames, i play games with toys

I play songs with instruments

I watch movies with dvds, blu rays.

I make calls with my phone

I drive my car

You can play games with your computer, smartphone even a piece of paper but these products are not designed to play games as their main function

I wish it was in Finnish because as I explained we have entirely different words for playing with toys and playing games. "Leikkiä" refers to toys, a game of tag etc. "Pelata" refers to video games, board games and sports, but I forgot to mention that we have a third verb "Soittaa" which refers to either playing an instrument or playing a song for example from Youtube.

Leikkiä = Toys, game of tag and hide & seek etc.

Pelata = Board games, Video games, and sports

Soittaa = Instruments and other devices that play music.

And yet you can't say that hide & seek is a toy. Same way you can "play with your food" / "Leikkiä ruuallasi." Yet your food doesn't transform into a toy, unless they made a new transformers line-up "Foodbots". ;P

IFireflyl said:
Is this really an opinion? I feel like it is fact. Yes. It is a toy. It is for entertainment purposes only.

But so are movies.

-Ack!- said:

I wish it was in Finnish because as I explained we have entirely different words for playing with toys and playing games. "Leikkiä" refers to toys, a game of tag etc. "Pelata" refers to video games, board games and sports, but I forgot to mention that we have a third verb "Soittaa" which refers to either playing an instrument or playing a song for example from Youtube.

And yet you can't say that hide & seek is a toy. Same way you can "play with your food" / "Leikkiä ruuallasi." Yet your food doesn't transform into a toy, unless they made a new transformers line-up "Foodbots". ;P

I think i wasn't clear on my post, when i mentioned basketball and cardgames as toys i was referencing to the physical object not the game itself. Basketball(sport) and hide-and-seek are both games, but basketball involves an object which it's main purpose is to play games (yeah gameS, in my country we play several games with a basketball(object) not only basketball(sport)).

I know that "a product designed to play games as its main function" isn't the definition that is on wikipedia about "toy", but i think it suits better.

Well, about finnish... I think this vocabulary is very detailed, because a word in portuguese can have various meanings in my country

We reap what we sow

For all intents are purposes yes, it's a toy, or a more apt name would be a luxury item. I consider PC's to be more tools, since they can play games, but have a litany of other fairly vital uses for day to day activities (work, personal research etc...). But yeah, toy would be a proper classification.

Around the Network
AlfredoTurkey said:
IFireflyl said:
Is this really an opinion? I feel like it is fact. Yes. It is a toy. It is for entertainment purposes only.

But so are movies.

The difference between consoles and movies is that consoles you're interacting with (toy), and movies are for viewing. Movies are no more toys than watching a football game (although a football is a toy).

-Ack!- said:
160rmf said:

I play games with my console, i play games with my basketball, i play games with cardgames, i play games with toys

I drive my car

You can play games with your computer, smartphone even a piece of paper but these products are not designed to play games as their main function

Well in English there are "game" and "toy", and in Italian "giocattolo"=toy always, while "gioco"=game almost always, but sometimes also toy and in some cases also sports, mainly team ones and ball ones ("gioco del calcio"="calcio"=football, "gioco del tennis"="tennis"=tennis, but we DON'T say "gioco dello sci", but just "sci"=skiing).
We could add that you can use a toy in its simplest function, like making a toy car run, but you can also use a toy to play a more complex game, for example that same toy car can become an element of a more complex fictional world. A game can be palyed with toys, tools, instruments, other objects (like, for example, chess and many board games, but also the original, real world, Capture the Flag, not the videogame one) or just nothing, like hide & seek.
We could consider a console a general-purpose toy, mainly used to play games, but secondarily used for other things too (since 5th gen, IIRC).
I guess a few people (mostly young male adults) are uncomfortable with calling a console a toy because they don't want to admit they play with toys, but others are because a console is a toy so general-purpose that they feel it's reductive to call it just a toy.

Stwike him, Centuwion. Stwike him vewy wuffly! (Pontius Pilate, "Life of Brian")
A fart without stink is like a sky without stars.
TGS, Third Grade Shooter: brand new genre invented by Kevin Butler exclusively for Natal WiiToo Kinect. PEW! PEW-PEW-PEW! 

It plays games. Games are toys.  Teenagers might not like it being called a toy but most other people probably don't care.

Alby_da_Wolf said:
-Ack!- said:
160rmf said:

I drive my car

Well in English there are "game" and "toy", and in Italian "giocattolo"=toy always, while "gioco"=game almost always, but sometimes also toy and in some cases also sports, mainly team ones and ball ones ("gioco del calcio"="calcio"=football, "gioco del tennis"="tennis"=tennis, but we DON'T say "gioco dello sci", but just "sci"=skiing).
We could add that you can use a toy in its simplest function, like making a toy car run, but you can also use a toy to play a more complex game, for example that same toy car can become an element of a more complex fictional world. A game can be palyed with toys, tools, instruments, other objects (like, for example, chess and many board games, but also the original, real world, Capture the Flag, not the videogame one) or just nothing, like hide & seek.
We could consider a console a general-purpose toy, mainly used to play games, but secondarily used for other things too (since 5th gen, IIRC).
I guess a few people (mostly young male adults) are uncomfortable with calling a console a toy because they don't want to admit they play with toys, but others are because a console is a toy so general-purpose that they feel it's reductive to call it just a toy.

This. A toy can be used in a game (a football is a toy; the sport called football is a game). A game can be used in a toy (a Playstation 4 is a toy; Bloodborne is a game).