By using this site, you agree to our Privacy Policy and our Terms of Use. Close

Forums - Gaming Discussion - Do you think a game console is a toy?

theprof00 said:
Game_God said:

Give it to them Tachikoma, people love to split hairs & twist the reality to fit their opinion but the fact is a console is a toy, a high-tech toy that does things beyond gaming but it's main funstion is to be used as a toy.

Same goes for a car, it's a mean of transportation, some people develop racing cars & race them, making the driving a sport but it doesn't not change the nature of what a car is & it's primary function, even when racing to go from A to B!

So a cell phone is a toy?

Kinda, especially with all the youngsters nowadays taking selfies and playing games like Flappy Bird, right? :P

Around the Network
Squeezol said:
theprof00 said:
Game_God said:

Give it to them Tachikoma, people love to split hairs & twist the reality to fit their opinion but the fact is a console is a toy, a high-tech toy that does things beyond gaming but it's main funstion is to be used as a toy.

Same goes for a car, it's a mean of transportation, some people develop racing cars & race them, making the driving a sport but it doesn't not change the nature of what a car is & it's primary function, even when racing to go from A to B!

Kinda, especially with all the youngsters nowadays taking selfies and playing games like Flappy Bird, right? :P

Well, a few years ago, I'd disagree and say a console is not a toy, but it certainly is. However, modern consoles also do a lot of different things, so I'd be more inclined to call them entertainment platforms. Hell, pretty much the only reason I still use the ps3 nowadays is for streaming, now that I have a ps4. And I use the internet a lot on my vita.

The idea that a toy is something specifically designed to provide entertainment through "play", would be the best definition...but then what would we call the xbox one? :D jk

Game consoles are toys, period ...

But this toy has found me.

theprof00 said:
Game_God said:

It's a multi-purpose smartphone.

The inclusion of a sim card and focus on messaging and communication retains it's primary intention, though with the features being added as of late such as high end cameras, tv, radio etc, it pushes it into "Multi-function handset".

The Xperia Play very nearly passes as a toy, but fails completely, at being anything other than a poor device.

Around the Network
Tachikoma said:
theprof00 said:
Game_God said:

It's a multi-purpose smartphone.

The inclusion of a sim card and focus on messaging and communication retains it's primary intention, though with the features being added as of late such as high end cameras, tv, radio etc, it pushes it into "Multi-function handset".

The Xperia Play very nearly passes as a toy, but fails completely, at being anything other than a poor device.

SICK BURN

almost as good as my xbox one.

ANyway, I'm in agreement with you. I was just messing with Game_God

theprof00 said:
Game_God said:

You answered yourself the question... I invite you to check my previous posts on this thread if you are really interested on what I think about this matter ;)

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=n29CicBxZuw

01001011 01101001 01110011 01110011 00100000 01101101 01111001 00100000 01110011 01101000 01101001 01101110 01111001 00100000 01101101 01100101 01110100 01100001 01101100 00100000 01100001 01110011 01110011 00100001

I only consider them toys when I'm playing Scategories and I can't think of anything else :)

Game_God said:
theprof00 said:
Game_God said:

You answered yourself the question... I invite you to check my previous posts on this thread if you are really interested on what I think about this matter ;)

I quoted you a bunch of times and you decided not to respond.

Yes, all game consoles are really just toys at their base.

Switch Code: SW-7377-9189-3397 -- Nintendo Network ID: theRepublic -- Steam ID: theRepublic

Now Playing
Switch - Super Mario Maker 2 (2019)
Switch - The Legend of Zelda: Link's Awakening (2019)
Switch - Bastion (2011/2018)
3DS - Star Fox 64 3D (2011)
3DS - Phoenix Wright: Ace Attorney (Trilogy) (2005/2014)
Wii U - Darksiders: Warmastered Edition (2010/2017)
Mobile - The Simpson's Tapped Out and Yugioh Duel Links
PC - Deep Rock Galactic (2020)