By using this site, you agree to our Privacy Policy and our Terms of Use. Close

Forums - Gaming Discussion - Gameplay isnt the most important thing in games.

Distant Star said:
Wonktonodi said:
I would love to see people define gameplay, because I imagine those that define it very narrowly won't see it as important as those that define it more broadly.
Is Tetris great because of the gameplay? Or because the challenge of it getting harder and harder? Without the challenge of the difficulty increasing it would get pretty boring. But is increasing difficulty part of gameplay? I'd argue no. But I define gameplay very narrowly and thus make it only one part of many that makes a game good to me or not. Games that have no story need to have some challenge to them or some other way to feel rewarding for interaction with the controls, otherwise they're just boring.

Tertis is great because of gameplay. 

Increasing speed of falling blocks is a game mechanic or system that influences gameplay.
Yes, difficulty is also a system or game mechanic that influences gameplay.

If you define the speed you have to interact as gameplay, then it fits. If like myself you don't, then it's something seperate, I think increase/ variety of difficulty or speeds you have to interact shouldn't just get lumped into gameplay.

Around the Network

Screw that, gameplay remains the most important aspect of a game!

---Member of the official Squeezol Fanclub---

I think a lot of people in this thread are confusing the necessity of gameplay with the importance of its quality/depth. There's no denying that having a solid interactive base for your title is vital (regardless to how bareboned), but it doesn't have to be the focus. That there are dozens of games that people can say "i played this game for the [not gameplay]" should be all the proof needed. Gaming is not as narrow a medium as some seem to wish it was.

Smeags said:
At the end of the day, games are games because the individual(s) ability to interact with the medium.

You mention the end result, which is the feedback that the player receives from the game in question (Whether it be happy, surprised, afraid, disgusted, angry, sad, etc.), but you also mention that what sets games apart from the rest is its interactivity. But interactivity and gameplay are one in the same. Gameplay is described as "the specific way in which players interact with the game".

Without gameplay, there is no game. It is a core foundation on which games are created, and therefore many people see it as one of (if not the most) integral functions that a game should be judged by. A game can exist without a story, or music, and any number of things that we see now-a-days. But a game cannot exist without gameplay. That is why so many people (including myself) prize games on how the player interacts within the game world.

So I'm not necessarily disagreeing with you, but just highlighting why many people prize gameplay over all else.

There is a wide variety of gameplay. some games the emotional feedback is from the struggle and eventual succes of doing something that was hard. Where the gameplay is the challenge, what about games where most the gameplay is making choices? The most important part of those games would be the story that leads to the choices you have to make, the looks sounds and voiceacting my be very important too, to help draw you into the narative. Gameplay might be simple interactions, that without the rest woudn't be fun.

After all video game are just pushing buttons and directional imputs, the why is ususally much more important than the what.

Ka-pi96 said:
But... how it makes you feel is largely because of the gameplay, no? So then gameplay is still the most important...

No. Well sometimes, depends on the game. But a lot of the times it's the interactive and cinematic aspects, not the gameplay. Dating simulators, visual novels and point and click adventures are examples of this. They're still referred to as "games" but those games don't focus much on "playing" so much as engaging the player into their games. The Walking Dead is one of the most touching and brillaintly scripted game of this decade and a lot of people admit to having created deep connections with many of the characters in that game. Topic creator is right, video games are an evovling media and trying to limit creators by saying "You don't play a lot, this is just a movie" puts stupid boundaries. Let developers try different things, like authors and film makers do with their own medium. Instead of having everything solely focused on balanced/fun mechanics and everything is just a point A to point B platformer/shooter, etc.

The greatest video game I've ever played was Journey on PS3. The experience wasn't particularly fun as compared to say, Smash Bros or Mario Karts with friends on a lazy Saturday night, but it was one of the most stunning experiences in my life (yeah, went that far). It was the first time I dropped the controller and thought "Wow...video games are more than just for fun".

I WILL admit that if a game is just god awful and frustrating, no matter how amazing the story is, THAT is a problem. I'd much rather just watch a Let's Play or cinematic compilation of the game in that case.

Around the Network
Ka-pi96 said:
But... how it makes you feel is largely because of the gameplay, no? So then gameplay is still the most important...

So the walking dead and the wolf among us are shit games?

Nope, gameplay is and will always be the most important aspect for a game.

Every now and then however a minimalist gameplay experience may come along (Flower or Limbo), but these are niche one off kind of experiences. Rarely are there more than 2 games a year which offers this. The other 15 - 20 games I play in a year MUST have good gameplay.

Back to Flower/Limbo kinds of games, these only really work when every single other aspect of the game, be it controls, music, characters, hell even the menu screen must emote perfection and a level of craftsmanship that only that developer can achieve. 

Gameplay is still the most important. Gameplay doesn't necessarily have to mean deep, intuitive, designs but the concept of having an addicting form of gameplay is still the most important, hands down. Hell, people still play Pong, Breakout, Tetris, etc. today. It isn't because of graphics, music, etc. (in general) but it is what the game has you to do that keeps the gamer interested. I guess gameplay matters more to me because I come from a family where they didn't finish games, they BEAT them and gameplay mattered most in beating a game.

Gameplay is the most important for me, and graphics are the least important.

NNID: FrequentFlyer54

Wonktonodi said:

There is a wide variety of gameplay. some games the emotional feedback is from the struggle and eventual succes of doing something that was hard. Where the gameplay is the challenge, what about games where most the gameplay is making choices? The most important part of those games would be the story that leads to the choices you have to make, the looks sounds and voiceacting my be very important too, to help draw you into the narative. Gameplay might be simple interactions, that without the rest woudn't be fun.

After all video game are just pushing buttons and directional imputs, the why is ususally much more important than the what.

In these examples that you bring up, following the story is part of the gameplay. Getting emotionally attached (or detached for that matter) to certain characters is part of the gameplay.

Gameplay is not limited to inputs any more than playing with cards is limited to hand movements.