By using this site, you agree to our Privacy Policy and our Terms of Use. Close

Forums - Sony Discussion - Will Bloodborne be smeared like the Order: 1886? (Opinion piece)

thedawghousev2 said:
Mr Puggsly said:

The Order had more hype than Ryse ever did. The problem is the more Sony showed the less interested vocal fans became.

People were ripping Ryse apart the first time gameplay was shown because of the QTEs. The Order however is in a more popular genre and people thought it was going to rival Gears of War. The Order was a highly anticipated game at one point, Ryse was just something to play.

Saying The Order wasn't hyped is rewriting history. It didn't reach Destiny of CoD levels of hype, but it was still hyped.

you'd be 100% wrong there. the more gameplay was shown the more the game excited people.

Nope, as more gameplay footage came out people just boasted about The Order's graphics. At best people cautiously optimistic about gameplay because Sony was involved (I'm sure people will now downplay Sony's involvement).

People didn't really boast about The Order's gameplay because it looked like an average galley shooter. Which is Sony's fault, they chose uninteresting footage. Bungie did the same thing with Destiny.

Recently Completed
River City: Rival Showdown
for 3DS (3/5) - River City: Tokyo Rumble for 3DS (4/5) - Zelda: BotW for Wii U (5/5) - Zelda: BotW for Switch (5/5) - Zelda: Link's Awakening for Switch (4/5) - Rage 2 for X1X (4/5) - Rage for 360 (3/5) - Streets of Rage 4 for X1/PC (4/5) - Gears 5 for X1X (5/5) - Mortal Kombat 11 for X1X (5/5) - Doom 64 for N64 (emulator) (3/5) - Crackdown 3 for X1S/X1X (4/5) - Infinity Blade III - for iPad 4 (3/5) - Infinity Blade II - for iPad 4 (4/5) - Infinity Blade - for iPad 4 (4/5) - Wolfenstein: The Old Blood for X1 (3/5) - Assassin's Creed: Origins for X1 (3/5) - Uncharted: Lost Legacy for PS4 (4/5) - EA UFC 3 for X1 (4/5) - Doom for X1 (4/5) - Titanfall 2 for X1 (4/5) - Super Mario 3D World for Wii U (4/5) - South Park: The Stick of Truth for X1 BC (4/5) - Call of Duty: WWII for X1 (4/5) -Wolfenstein II for X1 - (4/5) - Dead or Alive: Dimensions for 3DS (4/5) - Marvel vs Capcom: Infinite for X1 (3/5) - Halo Wars 2 for X1/PC (4/5) - Halo Wars: DE for X1 (4/5) - Tekken 7 for X1 (4/5) - Injustice 2 for X1 (4/5) - Yakuza 5 for PS3 (3/5) - Battlefield 1 (Campaign) for X1 (3/5) - Assassin's Creed: Syndicate for X1 (4/5) - Call of Duty: Infinite Warfare for X1 (4/5) - Call of Duty: MW Remastered for X1 (4/5) - Donkey Kong Country Returns for 3DS (4/5) - Forza Horizon 3 for X1 (5/5)

Around the Network
platformmaster918 said:
Mr Puggsly said:
platformmaster918 said:

Neither had much hype.  The Order and Ryse were blasted pre-release which negates the positive stuff (the stuff that builds hype).  If there's more negative than postitive like there was for both of those then they're not hyped relatively speaking.

The Order had more hype than Ryse ever did. The problem is the more Sony showed the less interested vocal fans became.

People were ripping Ryse apart the first time gameplay was shown because of the QTEs. The Order however is in a more popular genre and people thought it was going to rival Gears of War. The Order was a highly anticipated game at one point, Ryse was just something to play.

Saying The Order wasn't hyped is NOT rewriting history. It didn't reach Destiny of CoD levels of hype, but it was still hyped.

Just as much as Ryse.  The initial trailer had lots of hype but closer to launch not so much.  Probably by launch people anticipated Ryse more simply because the amount of negative articles was less for it.  People appreciated it for what it was unlike the Order.  The Order and Ryse lived up to their respective hype levels it was clear each was going to appeal to only a certain type of person.

Regardless of what your edit in my post says, you're rewriting history.

Few were boasting about Ryse when they saw it was a QTE fest. However, when people finally played the game it was a more enjoyable experience than anticipated.

Feel free to disagree with me but I believe Sony was more deceptive about what type of game The Order was. I think they wanted people to think it had a bigger focus on gameplay than it actually did. Which is why a lot of shooting fans played it and have been disappointed.

I felt Sony's marketing for Beyond: Two Souls was also a little deceptive. There is a scene in the end of this TV ad that I naturally assumed was part of the game. But it was was just a scene from the ending, you don't actually learn what that's about. I genuinely felt mislead by Sony. https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=9omMUrm05Dw

Recently Completed
River City: Rival Showdown
for 3DS (3/5) - River City: Tokyo Rumble for 3DS (4/5) - Zelda: BotW for Wii U (5/5) - Zelda: BotW for Switch (5/5) - Zelda: Link's Awakening for Switch (4/5) - Rage 2 for X1X (4/5) - Rage for 360 (3/5) - Streets of Rage 4 for X1/PC (4/5) - Gears 5 for X1X (5/5) - Mortal Kombat 11 for X1X (5/5) - Doom 64 for N64 (emulator) (3/5) - Crackdown 3 for X1S/X1X (4/5) - Infinity Blade III - for iPad 4 (3/5) - Infinity Blade II - for iPad 4 (4/5) - Infinity Blade - for iPad 4 (4/5) - Wolfenstein: The Old Blood for X1 (3/5) - Assassin's Creed: Origins for X1 (3/5) - Uncharted: Lost Legacy for PS4 (4/5) - EA UFC 3 for X1 (4/5) - Doom for X1 (4/5) - Titanfall 2 for X1 (4/5) - Super Mario 3D World for Wii U (4/5) - South Park: The Stick of Truth for X1 BC (4/5) - Call of Duty: WWII for X1 (4/5) -Wolfenstein II for X1 - (4/5) - Dead or Alive: Dimensions for 3DS (4/5) - Marvel vs Capcom: Infinite for X1 (3/5) - Halo Wars 2 for X1/PC (4/5) - Halo Wars: DE for X1 (4/5) - Tekken 7 for X1 (4/5) - Injustice 2 for X1 (4/5) - Yakuza 5 for PS3 (3/5) - Battlefield 1 (Campaign) for X1 (3/5) - Assassin's Creed: Syndicate for X1 (4/5) - Call of Duty: Infinite Warfare for X1 (4/5) - Call of Duty: MW Remastered for X1 (4/5) - Donkey Kong Country Returns for 3DS (4/5) - Forza Horizon 3 for X1 (5/5)

Rafux said:
Bloodborne is a video game made by From Software and from all the gameplay videos, it seems it might be just as good as the first three Soul's games.

The Order is a cinematic TPS that caugt alot of crap since the first gameplay reveal. No smear campaign. It is just a short game with not much replay value. It should of had multiplayer to offset the short story. It was rated poorly because of the hype surrounding the game instead of the game itself.

Fixed that for ya. ;)

platformmaster918 said:

Neither had much hype.  The Order and Ryse were blasted pre-release which negates the positive stuff (the stuff that builds hype).  If there's more negative than postitive like there was for both of those then they're not hyped relatively speaking.

Well, whatever you need to tell yourself about The Order. I think most of us here understand it was hyped. I think common sense would tell most judging by the amount of discussion generated by the game and its content and its reviews that the hype was there. Otherwise no one would give a shit.

Kind of like.... Ryse. No one cared when it got 6/10. Before there could be a build up of huge hype like The Order, people saw gameplay of Ryse and knew exactly what to expect. You can thank Sony for building up all that Order hype and for the negativity when people realized just what little there actually was to the game. And yes, positive or negative, discussion and buzz is all hype. One day you will learn :)

Again, it's just perception and expectation. We all knew what Ryse was before we played it. There is no persecution complex amongst Ryse owners, believing there is some hidden agenda behind low scores. Meanwhile lots more was expected of The Order. Now you constantly see conspiracy theories about clickbait and people just not "getting it" and reviewers purposely scoring it low to protest the style of game, even though those same reviewers score good versions of that style like Walking Dead pretty well.

I also just realized the answer to the thread is yes. Will Bloodborne be smeared like The Order? Yes. Because The Order was not smeared at all. It's a very flawed game and deserves the scores it got. Bloodborne will also deserve the scores it gets, as people have had nothing but praise for it and we know more of what we are getting with that game.

Puggsly is exactly right regarding the marketing of the game, too. That was a big mistake by Sony, though thanks to a drought in games in a huge userbase, they'll still probably sell a good amount of units of the game.

arcaneguyver said:

Any smear campaign would have started by now. If anything, casuals will cry "too difficult."

Gamers in general will say it's too difficult or not play it but say it's too difficult anyway. 

Around the Network

well I just beat The Order and have to say a 7 is about right for this game. Game starts off slow and pretty boring, but from the middle of the game towards the end,it picks itself up imo

NND: 0047-7271-7918 | XBL: Nights illusion | PSN: GameNChick

Aeolus451 said:
arcaneguyver said:

Any smear campaign would have started by now. If anything, casuals will cry "too difficult."

Gamers in general will say it's too difficult or not play it but say it's too difficult anyway. 

Well, judging by the developer's reputation, I expect Bloodborne to be difficult. That's why I'm not going anywhere near it. 

BraLoD said:
Namiirei said:

But...bloodborne HAVE shields. They're just not overpowered like they was in dark souls 2.

Really? I thought it won't.

http://www.polygon.com/2015/2/6/7993147/bloodborne-shields

Samus Aran said:
Kerotan said:

Games like the order,  the last of us and heavy rain have excellent stories.  Same with others like Ratchet and Clank,  god of war and resistance.  They are very good at story driven games. 

As someone who has a Master degree in history I can't help but cringe at the story of GoW lol. It's pretty one dimensional, poorly informed, cliché and generic imo. The story is a laughing stock among my friends.

It's fun to watch GoW games though. Flashy visuals, decent gameplay.

Looks like some of us have a bad habit of downplaying every PS exclusive. But whatever you say God Of War >>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>> Bayonetta in terms of EVERYTHING about the games.

Acevil said:
GTAexpert said:
Acevil said:
NightDragon83 said:
LOL "smeared"... if by "smeared" you mean the backlash the game received for being overhyped and underdelivering with the final product, then yes, The Order was "smeared." Just as games like Watchdogs and Destiny were "smeared" before it.

Don't you know, only Sony exclusives can get negative backlash, because reviewers have it out for Sony. (This is actually the logic some people believe.)

So, did Destiny and Watch Dogs get such bad reviews, despite atleast one of them being a worse game? No.

Were you around for the launch of Destiny? It was getting bashed in, it was later reviewers that started giving it higher score. Since people learned later on, Oh wait this is actually really fun and addictive. (Think it has a 75) (People thought this would be 90+ game)

(I actually think Destiny is an 80+)

Watch Dogs which I assume is what you are saying is the worse game, I think the case of watch dogs is that it didn't live up to the hype, but it didn't break down and was downright bad. It should have got a bit more slack, but its main flaw was not living up to hype, and not actually being bad game. (Think it is has a 80) (People thought this would be 90+ game)

(I am slightly biased for Ubisoft, I cannot tell if the backlash for this game was warrranted or not)

And yes they both had backlash, they were on pretty much all the biggest disappointment of 2014 (namely watch dogs). 

Thing is Watch Dogs is nowhere near as good as The Order: 1886, atleast for me. I didn't have much ype for it, but it was just bad in many ways, and its biggest draw which was the hacking wasn't actually that fun to use.