By using this site, you agree to our Privacy Policy and our Terms of Use. Close

Forums - Sony Discussion - Will Bloodborne be smeared like the Order: 1886? (Opinion piece)

sundin13 said:
platformmaster918 said:

Kratos is a loveable

...what? Kratos is one of the least likable characters in gaming, who turned into a caricature of himself after the first game. I'd say he's pretty much as far from lovable as you can get.

This.

I can't recall ever being more disgusted by the character I'm being asked to play as, personally. The first three games were still fun and well made, but I would have enjoyed them a lot more if they had a protag with a shred of likeability.

Around the Network
Kerotan said:

Let's put it this way if some of nintendos games were sony games you'd suddenly get some 9/10 or 10/10 reviews dropping to 7's and 8's and excuses like not enough improvement over the last game or too basic online or story not great.  The reality is sony games are held to a higher standard.  Microsoft get this the most after sony and i think they do a lot to ensure it doesn't happen.  

Uh, no.

Nintendo's games are praised because they prioritise the criterion that most reviewers judge a game by; the gameplay.

With The Order, RAD and Sony actively pursued a design that ran contrary to the criteria of most reviewers, and as a result, it was panned.

It's as simple as that.

Aeolus451 said:
Rafux said:
Bloodborne is a video game made by From Software and from all the gameplay videos, it seems it might be just as good as the first three Soul's games.

The Order is a cinematic TPS that caugt alot of crap since the first gameplay reveal. No smear campaign. It is just a short game with not much replay value. It should of had multiplayer to offset the short story. It was rated poorly because of the hype surrounding the game instead of the game itself.

Fixed that for ya. ;)

I liked Dark Souls 2 but is not as good as Demon's Souls and Dark Souls. The Order is a piece of shit I finished yesterday in 6 hours (friend lend his psn account) 3 of them were "gameplay", too little shooting and the last chapter is just 2 corridors full of guards and then a QTE recycled boss, even the story is boring.

It's a reputable franchise although it will come under different name, and already have a die hard fans and has it's own market. So the answer is NO.

Mr Puggsly said:
platformmaster918 said:

Just as much as Ryse.  The initial trailer had lots of hype but closer to launch not so much.  Probably by launch people anticipated Ryse more simply because the amount of negative articles was less for it.  People appreciated it for what it was unlike the Order.  The Order and Ryse lived up to their respective hype levels it was clear each was going to appeal to only a certain type of person.

Regardless of what your edit in my post says, you're rewriting history.

Few were boasting about Ryse when they saw it was a QTE fest. However, when people finally played the game it was a more enjoyable experience than anticipated.

Feel free to disagree with me but I believe Sony was more deceptive about what type of game The Order was. I think they wanted people to think it had a bigger focus on gameplay than it actually did. Which is why a lot of shooting fans played it and have been disappointed.

I felt Sony's marketing for Beyond: Two Souls was also a little deceptive. There is a scene in the end of this TV ad that I naturally assumed was part of the game. But it was was just a scene from the ending, you don't actually learn what that's about. I genuinely felt mislead by Sony. https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=9omMUrm05Dw

seriously?  They said black bars, they showed QTE, they said it would be filmic and story focused and all that stuff.  People complain about the same things in previews as they did in reviews.  That shows entirely undeceptive marketing.  Beyond 2 Souls is from the makers of Heavy Rain with the same director.  People knew exactly what it was going to be I mean one scene in an ad is hardly deceptive.  I'm not rewriting anything you are.  Accuse me of whatever you like.  I saw people insult and insult the type of game the Order was going to be.  Then I saw them insult and insult those same things when it finally released.  I see no discrepancy or deception there.

Get Your Portable ID!Lord of Ratchet and Clank

Duke of Playstation Plus

Warden of Platformers

Around the Network
curl-6 said:

"Smear campaign"? Come on, enough with the persecution complex already, it's starting to border on paranoia.

You took the words right out of my mouth.

People complain about softball previews and grade inflation, and then other people complain about critical previews and low scores. The histrionics surrounding these big AAA releases is really starting to get on my nerves.

Have some time to kill? Read my shitty games blog. http://www.pixlbit.com/blogs/586/gigantor21

:D

I don't think so

curl-6 said:
Kerotan said:

Let's put it this way if some of nintendos games were sony games you'd suddenly get some 9/10 or 10/10 reviews dropping to 7's and 8's and excuses like not enough improvement over the last game or too basic online or story not great.  The reality is sony games are held to a higher standard.  Microsoft get this the most after sony and i think they do a lot to ensure it doesn't happen.  

Uh, no.

Nintendo's games are praised because they prioritise the criterion that most reviewers judge a game by; the gameplay.

With The Order, RAD and Sony actively pursued a design that ran contrary to the criteria of most reviewers, and as a result, it was panned.

It's as simple as that.

Ok so games like Heavy rain should be thrown in the bin because they don't follow the same old same old routine.  

Smear campaign for The Order?

If anything blame those hyping the game when all evidence pointed towards it being a mess.

When it was first trailored it looked great and there was much excitement for it. As new info came out and demo's and ect. it continued to "look" great, but majority of people were disliking the gameplay, the qte's, ect.

Then when game released there was the shortness of the game and it's 0 replayability. Combine that with the QTE's and lackluster gameplay and it seemingly deserves the "hate"

Hardly a smear campaign. Seems like a legit review.

Bloodborne from what I have seen has had zero negatives so far. It "looks" good and the gameplay seems to be what those that like these games want. It's also from a developer who has a history of making these types of games and fans like them. I mean hell even Dark Souls 2 is greatly loved and it had a MASSIVE downgrade in 'graphics' compared to its intitial trailors, demo's, ect. So even if Bloodbourne takes a huge hit in its "looks" it will still be a great game. As many who are shunned in our industry these days say "GAMEPLAY beat Graphics anyday"

Kerotan said:
curl-6 said:

Uh, no.

It's as simple as that.

Ok so games like Heavy rain should be thrown in the bin because they don't follow the same old same old routine.  

The Order was panned by critics because it DID follow "the same old routine" to them. Review after review went on and on about how it didn't do anything special gameplay-wise that hasn't been seen before and done better by other games.

Have some time to kill? Read my shitty games blog. http://www.pixlbit.com/blogs/586/gigantor21

:D