By using this site, you agree to our Privacy Policy and our Terms of Use. Close

Forums - Gaming Discussion - Dreamcast 2 and Sega Net relaunch

Couple of interesting articles:

http://classygamer.blogspot.com/2008/03/do-you-still-own-dreamcast-oh-yes-i-do.html

Do you still own a Dreamcast? Oh yes, I do! But...

Dreamcast
Uploaded by Abriael
SEGA updated their "Dreamcast" trademark back in august 2007, and that stirred up a lot of rumors.

Now, the Dreamcast.com website has been updated with a fairly mysterious blank page and a question "Do you still own a Dreamcast?"
Clicking on it opened a registration service and a questionnaire (that asked, between the other things, the Dreamcast's serial number). Almost immediately after the begining of this "initiative" the service was discontinued and now brings up a "Due the high volume of account requests, the service will be temporally suspended" Notice.

That's not so surrprising considering that the popularity of the Dreamcast is still quite thriving between it's fans, and that it seems that each submission was manually checked and confirmed.

Actually the whole thing kind of smells like a fake, since the lack of contents and explanations in the page and a very visible google ad in the middle of it (something you wouldn't expect from an established corporation like SEGA), so I actually went as far as checking the domain's ownership, suspecting that SEGA simply let it die and that someone could have snatched it, but to my surprise the domain still shows as officially owned by SEGA corporation (until June 2008, registered by Mr. Shoji Takamitsu, SEGA's team manager of Information Systems Department).
Some dreamcast fans actually even traced the ips of the website, discovering that they don't match the usual ones used by SEGA.

My conclusion is that, even if the service is ever reactivated, It might be wiser to hold on before registering and sending any personal information until SEGA officially comments on the matter. I wrote an email to Mr Takamitsu and will post an update if he ever answers.

Even if the truth behind this matter is still unknown, I have to say that I would be absolutely delighted if Sega tried, in any way, to revitalize their Dreamcast business (maybe dreaming of a Dreamcast 2 would be too much? Who knows...). It's been my favourite console of all times, and will always have a special place in my classy gamer's heart.

http://www.gamewithabrain.com/2008/02/02/classic/fun-with-myth-dreamcast-2

Fun with Myth: Dreamcast 2

Ever since the death of the original Dreamcast, there have been rumblings of a Dreamcast 2. These would have seemed to been officially put to rest with Sega going exclusively third party as a developer, but gamers have kept the fire flamed. Why? Despite the implosion that was the Dreamcast, many still regard it fondly as one of the best systems made to date.

The Dreamcast 2 rumblings were started up again last August when Sega filed papers with the U.S. Patent and Trademark office to extend their trademark over the Dreamcast name. One argument is that Sega was simply doing this to extend their control over a brand name they had invested heavily in. Still, why should Sega care at all? It isn’t like they’re still marketing anything under the Dreamcast banner. Of course, there’s always a chance they might re-release some classic Dreamcast titles under some Dreamcast Greats Hits name, but why wait this long to do so?

This has sparked interest among fans who believe Sega could be readying a Dreamcast 2. Still, could a company abandon hardware for this long and make a return? Atari certainly tried. Their Lynx handheld and Jaguar home console were at best valiant attempts to recapture their lost glory, though neither ever rose above being a niche product. Pile on top of all this that Sega’s original partner for the Dreamcast, Microsoft, has now entered the market themselves with the Xbox. It doesn’t seem likely that the Dreamcast could resurface.

Still, what if they did? The first thing Sega would have to fix is their software development. What was once the rival of Nintendo’s first party offerings has now, for the most part, become a joke. The Sonic franchise went from the highs of the 16-bit era, to the promise of Sonic Adventure, to the downright gutter feeding of Sonic the Hedgehog. Sega also sold of their Sega Sports lineup, which had once been a refreshing breath of fresh air for a system that had no Electronic Arts involvement.

So before Sega could attempt at bringing back their hardware business they would have to solidify their software business. The easiest way to attempt this might be to partner with third parties. Imagine a Dreamcast 2 that featured exclusive support from Ubisoft and Take 2 Games. It may sound implausible, but then so did Square leaving Nintendo and Sega developing for Nintendo.

The other option would be to team up with another hardware manufacturer. At this point Sega’s brand name is so tarnished and their software development arm so emaciated one has to question who would seriously care to partner with them? It once seemed a perfect fit for Nintendo and Sega to partner, but after Sega’s merger with Sammy that no longer seems likely.

So what would a Sega developed Dreamcast 2 need to succeed? Besides the aforementioned software refocus and perhaps partnering, it would need a powerful, easy to develop for hardware. That was, after all, one of the strengths of the original Dreamcast. Who could best offer such a development environment with little effort? Why, of course, Apple. Apple’s rumored iGame might just be the Dreamcast 2 in waiting, and it would certainly give both companies a strong American and Japanese partner. Would it happen? Apple is unlikely to go it alone, and Sega is unable to go it alone. In the end, such a partnership for the Dreamcast 2 might be the thing that dreams are made of.

Around the Network

Pretty interesting articles ferret1603.

I sega was able to get appropriate funding and not worry about financial woes for a few years and just make games they want to make, I believe they would be able to return in top form as a software publisher. As things stand now, Sammy is leeching them for everything they have...

http://gamerush.zoomshare.com/files/news/002538_Gamers_duped_Dreamcast_com_not_hosted_by_Sega.htm

Gamers duped, Dreamcast.com not hosted by Sega

Collected Dreamcast serial numbers

By Dan Freeman, GameRush Entertainment

Contact us | Go to all news

Posted March 9, 2008

Sega apparently wasn’t the one behind asking gamers, “Do you still own a Dreamcast?”

Dreamcast.com was updated Saturday, sparking speculation from fans of a possible revival from Sega, which ended production of the console back in 2001.

As it turns out, the domain name “dreamcast.com” hasn’t been owned by Sega for years. The site update for registration of a user.dreamcast.com account successfully collected Dreamcast serial numbers, as well as email addresses, from gamers around the Web.

The account application page on the site now reads, “Dreamcast website is temporarily unavailable. Please try back later. We apologize for any inconvenience.”

The website has been brought to the attention of Sega, as well as the current host of Dreamcast.com, HostDime, Inc.

“We will look into this issue,” HostDime Abuse and Security analyst Charlie S. told us.

Sega may request that the site be taken down, he said.

Sega was not available for comment

The success of Sony killed off SEGA. SEGA was once the top brand in consoles to a lot of people back in the good old 8 and 16 bit days. The legacy of SEGA lives on with SEGA made games such as the legendary Virtua Fighter series arguably the best fighter series ever. The latest Sonic games have been crap but the original Sonic games were classics.

Rock_on_2008 said:
The success of Sony killed off SEGA. SEGA was once the top brand in consoles to a lot of people back in the good old 8 and 16 bit days. The legacy of SEGA lives on with SEGA made games such as the legendary Virtua Fighter series arguably the best fighter series ever. The latest Sonic games have been crap but the original Sonic games were classics.
Virtual fighter is so bad that it hurts when you play it.Play Dead or alive or tekken instead or heck even mortal kombat.Honestly sony is a much better company than Sega .I have owned every console you could imagine since 20 years ago and Sony is the one that comes on top.There is a reaon behind their success .That's just my opinion.

Around the Network

it would be interesting if they came out with dc2 for $99 and it had a monthly fee of 20 or so that meant full access to every sega system game ever as a competitor to gamefly

Bets:Missed by 420k I bet leo-j vg$500 that wii will sell 31 million by 7/31/08.  Sorry, I don't think he has enough vg$ to make it with all of u that wish you could. Hit, with room to spare I bet kingofwale a 1-week ban that wii Americas ltd sales>360 Americas ltd sales as of the numbers for week ending 7/05/08 (using vgchartz homepage #s)

Predictions:

Wii will sell 18-20mil by 12/31/07  CHECKWii will sell 45mil+ WW by 12/31/08Wii will surpass PS2 sales WW by 11/17/11 (5yr anniversary)Wii Fit will hit 12mil sales in 2009MKWii+SSBB+Wii Fit+SMG > 50 mil sales by 2010 > gta4+mgs+gt5+ff13+haze+lbp

SpartanFX said:
Rock_on_2008 said:
Virtual fighter is so bad that it hurts when you play it.Play Dead or alive or tekken instead or heck even mortal kombat.Honestly sony is a much better company than Sega .I have owned every console you could imagine since 20 years ago and Sony is the one that comes on top.There is a reaon behind their success .That's just my opinion.

For ever opinion as yours there are 3 opinions that think you are wrong.

Sony is a good hardware company but they don't know squat when it comes to software... Sega was not a hardware company but in their prime, if you gave them any console, they would still make you a fun game. Sony isn't even the best company this generation let alone the in the passed 20 years...the only thing that kept them on top in the last 2 generations is exclusive 3rd party support. Now with Microsoft matching Sony's dollar for 3rd party support, they don't look so hot do they.

Virtua Fighter may not be the greatest game nowadays...but it was the FIRST of its kind. Without it...Tekken, DOA whatever... wouldn't exist. Besides, VF sequels kept up with the best. VF5 destroys DOA in the most important aspect...gameplay.

Other Sega firsts: Online gaming for console(Saturn 1997), motion controls for a game (samaba de amigo), first multiplayer arcade rading game with multiple locking cabinets (Virtua racing), first cable TV service for streaming games (sega channel), first web browser on a console(Saturn 1997).

Pretty good for a company that is 1/50th the size of Sony don't you think...

Just look at the specs. Completely fake.