By using this site, you agree to our Privacy Policy and our Terms of Use. Close

Forums - Gaming Discussion - Dreamcast 2 and Sega Net relaunch

ssj12 said:
tastyshovelware said:
^^

not enough to warrent the creation of a new system (even if cheap).

you are a complete idiot if you really believe that 

you fail to know the SEGA fanbase

i hate the word 'fail.' so i'll just say you refuse to see the reality that sega consoles don't sell. the dreamcast was $200 when it launched. $200. it came out a full year before the ps2. it was crushed and died within a year more of less.

a purely vc title system would be interesting but not terribly likely. wii owners already have many of the top genesis games. few people would go for the master system titles. saturn and dreamcast would be interesting to see but i still don't think there's enough demand to attempt another move towards the hardware market.

wishful thinking, but it will remain a rumor.

Around the Network

Maybe they'll release with a Wiimote knock-off. :P

Damstr8 said:
NYANKS said:
Damstr8 said:
the dreamcast was a failure...why do they think it will sell now?

The situation is a little different.......................

Right...the hardware market is a little too crowded as it is,It would be a horrible move if they chose to release a console now...they would make a dime,and it would fail once again

I don't think the hardware market is crowded.  There are 3 consoles, 2 handhelds, cell phone games, the new n-gage is coming as software to cell phones, iPods and iPhones play games, Zune will start playing games this year, there is Stream, and Gamefly is around.  All of these groups should be able to make money.

However, I have no faith in Sega making any money off of a new system, just because it is Sega.  If someone else did this for Sega, then it may work :)

Tired of big government?
Want liberty in your lifetime?
Join us @
http://www.freestateproject.org

tastyshovelware said:
ssj12 said:
tastyshovelware said:
^^

not enough to warrent the creation of a new system (even if cheap).
you are a complete idiot if you really believe that

you fail to know the SEGA fanbase
i hate the word 'fail.' so i'll just say you refuse to see the reality that sega consoles don't sell. the dreamcast was $200 when it launched. $200. it came out a full year before the ps2. it was crushed and died within a year more of less.

a purely vc title system would be interesting but not terribly likely. wii owners already have many of the top genesis games. few people would go for the master system titles. saturn and dreamcast would be interesting to see but i still don't think there's enough demand to attempt another move towards the hardware market.

wishful thinking, but it will remain a rumor.
What you do not understand (see how I avoid "that word"?) is that what DarkNight and Kasz216 describe doesn't need to sell on the scale of conventional consoles.

The Dreamcast sold 10 million.  It was a complete crash-and-burn failure in terms of the conventional console market.  If you don't have a certain minimum audience then you just won't survive due to lack of developer support.  (Nintendo would be the exception that proves the rule since their in-house stuff is good enough to carry them.)

If the "Dreamcast 2" sold even half of that it would be a great success due to the "paid subscription" aspect of it.  If this is true it is not going to be a conventional console at all and that is why it might succeed where the Dreamcast failed.  Even if it's the same hardware it's a different console.

Tag (courtesy of fkusumot): "Please feel free -- nay, I encourage you -- to offer rebuttal."
- - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - -
My advice to fanboys: Brag about stuff that's true, not about stuff that's false. Predict stuff that's likely, not stuff that's unlikely. You will be happier, and we will be happier.

"Everyone is entitled to his own opinion, but not his own facts." - Sen. Pat Moynihan
- - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - -
The old smileys: ; - ) : - ) : - ( : - P : - D : - # ( c ) ( k ) ( y ) If anyone knows the shortcut for , let me know!
I have the most epic death scene ever in VGChartz Mafia.  Thanks WordsofWisdom! 

DarkNight_DS said:
I don't know but Sega registered the name again back in the fall and are now asking Dreamcast owners to register their hardwares serial number for which Sega is handing out early Seganet user accounts:

http://kotaku.com/365502/sega-asks-do-you-still-own-a-dreamcast
I tried to follow the link to register my Dreamcast and get an account and I got this: 

"Due the high volume of account requests, the service will be temporally suspended."

So yeah, I think the Dream can live again. 

Tag (courtesy of fkusumot): "Please feel free -- nay, I encourage you -- to offer rebuttal."
My advice to fanboys: Brag about stuff that's true, not about stuff that's false. Predict stuff that's likely, not stuff that's unlikely. You will be happier, and we will be happier.

"Everyone is entitled to his own opinion, but not his own facts." - Sen. Pat Moynihan
The old smileys: ; - ) : - ) : - ( : - P : - D : - # ( c ) ( k ) ( y ) If anyone knows the shortcut for , let me know!

Around the Network

I got the same message. I guess I was too late. I'm going ape shit over this news, because i've been in love with my DC for years. It's the only console I can safely say i've played most of the lineup of. I really want to play Last Hope, which was released in 07. Anybody played that yet? I can't find a torrent for it.

Tag: Became a freaking mod and a complete douche, coincidentally, at the same time.

Man, it would be awesome if they re-released the DC. I never got to get one. I still wish that I had bought one when stores were selling them off for 50 bucks in order to clear stock.

Why do people insist on having shitty thread titles? I read it an instantly knew it was someone posting a rumor with a title that makes you think it is a fact. Just put Rumor: in the freaking thread title! It is really not that hard and makes sifting through topics a lot easier. I would love for the Dreamcast to get some kind of revival (and slaughter people in Project Justice!) but this is a flimsy rumor at best.

Starcraft 2 ID: Gnizmo 229

ikilledkenny said:
Man, it would be awesome if they re-released the DC. I never got to get one. I still wish that I had bought one when stores were selling them off for 50 bucks in order to clear stock.
Me too ... but I bought one used off a guy who wanted to sell it to make money to buy an Xbox (original).  I got the system, 2 controllers, 2 lightguns, a memory card, one of the other insert things, and about a dozen games ... all for $50 (I think? coulda been $100).  Score!

I would be nice to see Sega back in action, but its to fantastic*cough200HDcough* to be real