By using this site, you agree to our Privacy Policy and our Terms of Use. Close

Forums - Sales Discussion - Weekly HW & SW 14th of feb. 3DS 423k. Zelda 860K, Evolve 600K. MH4U 300K

Very good numbers for 3ds, and good numbers for the ps4 too

Around the Network
TheGoldenBoy said:
Locknuts said:
Sorry if already addressed, but why the Wii U bump?

People are guessing it's because February is a better selling month than January and/or there were some deals.

I know thats what people have been saying but personally that doesn't make sense to me. If it was simply a matter of February being better than Jan, then all consoles would be up by similar levels, but so far in Feb the Wii U is up over 60%, whereas the PS4 and XB1 are up only 22% and 35% respectively (scaling sales for the first half of Feb across the entire month). 

Even with some deals, 60% increase is pretty exceptional, particularly as none of those deals were nationwide or anything. My gut feeling is that NPD is going to show a Wii U overtrack again.

czecherychestnut said:
TheGoldenBoy said:

People are guessing it's because February is a better selling month than January and/or there were some deals.

I know thats what people have been saying but personally that doesn't make sense to me. If it was simply a matter of February being better than Jan, then all consoles would be up by similar levels, but so far in Feb the Wii U is up over 60%, whereas the PS4 and XB1 are up only 22% and 35% respectively (scaling sales for the first half of Feb across the entire month). 

Even with some deals, 60% increase is pretty exceptional, particularly as none of those deals were nationwide or anything. My gut feeling is that NPD is going to show a Wii U overtrack again.

It's definitely possible. I'm not too sure myself, I just repeated what others have said.

zorg1000 said:
binary solo said:

How about the point that 3DS will probably not sell as much as GBA? essentially 3DS is looking to be the lowest selling nintendo handheld. 

Here are shipments for Gameboy Advance as of March 31, 2005 (4 years after launch)

Japan-15.55

Americas-33.37

Others-17.87

For comparison here are 3DS shipments as of December 31, 2014 (one quarter short of 4 years)

Japan-18.70

Americas-16.77

Others-14.93

3DS in Japan is slightly above GBA, 3DS in Others is slightly below GBA, they pretty much cancel each other out. The problem Nintendo is facing with 3DS is in the Americas, where it's barely over half of GBA in the same time frame. It's the same thing with Wii U where the majority of its decline compared to Gamecube is from the Americas. Nintendo needs to find a way to make their devices attractive to the American consumer again. I'm not sure how exactly they will do it, but it must be done.

So basically 3DS is down to one degree or another compared to GBA everywhere except Japan. They can't do anything about it because of mobile phone and tablet gaming. Simple as that. But if people want to keep dreaming that there is no decline because of mobile competition then they are welcome to their dreams.

“The fundamental cause of the trouble is that in the modern world the stupid are cocksure while the intelligent are full of doubt.” - Bertrand Russell

"When the power of love overcomes the love of power, the world will know peace."

Jimi Hendrix

Materia-Blade said:
platformmaster918 said:

I never said it wasn't sustainable, but there's a reason it's sold less.  Smartphones are now effecting the market.  PS3 still sold well despite being the worst selling home PS console yet people still cry "decline decline!" so I understand why you'd be against me calling it but looking at market direction the handhelds are going to be way down.  Hopefully it doesn't continue next gen but man Nintendo really leans on handhelds now so they need to make it work

But if the 3ds is doing regular numbers for pre ds nintendo handhelds, mobile isn't being that much of a problem.

no stop trying to say that it's done 50m.  GBA had over 80m in a VERY short lifespan.  3DS has gone through a much more normal life and still not been able to get anywhere near those numbers that GBA experienced in a super short life.

Get Your Portable ID!Lord of Ratchet and Clank

Duke of Playstation Plus

Warden of Platformers

Around the Network
czecherychestnut said:
TheGoldenBoy said:

Very interesting...Thanks to both of you.

Finally a good week in 2015. 3DS is up YOY (200%), PS4 is up YOY (3.5%), XBO is up YOY (36.5%) and so is WiiU (30%).
Only current gen system down is Vita (32%) and so are all last gen systems.

Total hardware is up 38% YOY.

Off course, this week was special but it is nice to see nevertheless...

YTD, only 3DS, WiiU and XBO are up if compared to 2014 though...

http://gamrconnect.vgchartz.com/thread.php?id=197466&page=1#

I have a question. What do you do when the sales change?
For instance PS Vita sales, they has been changed in every week of January 2015.

Dr.Vita said:
I have a question. What do you do when the sales change?
For instance PS Vita sales, they has been changed in every week of January 2015.

I check all 2015 weeks everyweek to see if something has been adjusted. Then I just change the numbers in my excel file... Which means the numbers in the last update are always  accurate (even YTD). The older updates will have non-adjusted numbers though.

Good number by the N3DS but how long will this last? I still think it'll be down yoy globally. PS4 got a decent bump and One has stayed in a surplus compared to 2014 so far, Wii U holding on fairly well but it needs some more releases to prevent it from dropping towards Q2 and into the summer.