By using this site, you agree to our Privacy Policy and our Terms of Use. Close

Forums - Politics Discussion - Thinking about converting to Islam

Aeolus451 said:
The Fury said:

2 different things. "adhor feminism" is what he said. He didn't say "the type of feminism where women accuse men of mysogynistic for just being men." 

Well, feminism has become more or less subjective. So I just give anyone who says or uses it the benefit of doubt. It usually requires them to explain what they mean by it to understand them. I don't really know what he meant by it. 

Much to the reason why I asked, to get a subjective view. I want to understand if he just doesn't like some modern thinking of feminism or that women should be in the kitchen making him dinner?

This is besides the fact he seems conflicted, like I mentioned in my first post, he seems to be changing his faith based on the modern governmental policies and the standing of women in society (good or bad) which screams far more of personal issues that cannot be fixed by changing faiths. In the end, he'll still be wherever he is.

Hmm, pie.

Around the Network
badgenome said:
Talal said:

That would be very sad. Why do you say that?

Because, individually and collectively, people need to believe in something greater than themselves. Islam seems like a very logical replacement for a moribund and spineless Christianity and a ruinous political progressivism that fosters nothing but alienation and grievance.

Umm, no. People do not need to believe in something greater than themselves. At least not in terms of superstition like gods and what have you. It's good to have ideals and values, but they are things that stand on their own and have no affiliations. Religions and other 'isms' sometimes claim ownership of certain values, but they are universal concepts that anyone can subscribe to. It's sad that there are people who think that it's somehow obligatory to pick a religion in order to reflect one's values. Religions bring with them all kinds of unnecessary baggage that leads to more division and conflict among people.
As for feminism, I believe in universal equality, but feminism hasn't been about that for ages now in the western world. Women have all the same rights as men here. Why not be egalitarians without any gender connotations? All people should be equal no matter what, right?

well, why islam? why not catholism? they are much closer to christianity, they dont like gays, womens,etc
ohh, and liberals HATE EM.

curl-6 said:

At the risk of expressing ban-worthy prejudice, a predominantly Islamic world sounds like a dangerous outcome for pretty much anyone who's not a heterosexual Muslim male. Among other things, the marriage of underage girls to adult men and the execution of rape victims are still widespread within many Islamic nations.

Obviously, this does not apply to all muslims or muslim communities, but its still concerning.

Not necessarily. The bigger something gets, the more fractious it becomes. If everyone in the world were Muslim, being a Muslim wouldn't really mean anything. You would still have all the same ideological divisions and disputes that you have today.

The Fury said:
Aeolus451 said:

Disliking feminism doesn't necessarily mean that someone doesn't like the idea of women having a better standing in society. I, for one don't care for modern feminism. haha.

2 different things. "adhor feminism" is what he said. He didn't say "the type of feminism where women accuse men of mysogynistic for just being men." 

Feminism is hijacked by radicals who see men as disposable and who work to destroy norms (e.g. the core family). These people openly encourage women to get divorced, to free themselves from any dependence on men. They also encourage other deviant forms of family such as the polyamorous couple. in other words, they intend to destroy the nuclear family and its traditional values. 

Egalitarianism is a better word to describe the movement because it encompasses ALL. Not just women. 

Around the Network

I don't think it's necessary to convert to a certain religion to validate ones ideals. It's conservative system and a culture that dictates and upholds values and morals that people thought were absolute. Time might change a rule within the collective unconscious of the religion's culture.

With that being said, I came from a Muslim background and I will try to answer your questions by talking about the culture rather than what can be inferred from scripture.

1. Polygamy is highly frowned upon by the society. It very rarely happens and it causes a lot turmoil. I never knew or heard of a successful marriage like that other than in urban stories and jokes because even the attempt can lead to a divorce.

2. It's men who can't shake womens' hands but it only happens in family gatherings and segregated places where the interaction between both men and women is already superficial. They do shake hands if they both could establish that it's fine. it's very rude to refuse anyone's hand so even if a man thinks it's wrong to shake a women's hand for some odd reason he will do so if he was given the offer unless he was an extremely devoted person.

Edit: these rules are nonsensical to me. They enforce the values and idiosyncratic behaviours of a long past culture as a timeless moral system, and that hurts the generation that question them without wanting to drop all their current cultural identity.

.- -... -.-. -..

Do what makes you happy.

Feel free to check out my stream on twitch 

The easiest thing for you to do is move to a Amish town. How it sounds is that you hate the thinking of people around you, changing your faith will do nothing to solve that matter like others have stated. Without TV or Internet you can remain oblivious to the liberals and feminist movement. Women cook and take care of the kids. Men do manual labor. A lot of praying. The best thing is that you get to still belive in jesus wich will make it easier for you.

It takes genuine talent to see greatness in yourself despite your absence of genuine talent.

And if you think that islam is a fortress against "liberal decay", islam is actually more progressive in a lot LGBT topics than US, say third gender in Pakistan gained legal recognition before US as I understand. Anyway, you won't see this stuff in your typical american wedding:
http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=DGkB_L9ubBk

curl-6 said:
badgenome said:
Talal said:

That would be very sad. Why do you say that?

Because, individually and collectively, people need to believe in something greater than themselves. Islam seems like a very logical replacement for a moribund and spineless Christianity and a ruinous political progressivism that fosters nothing but alienation and grievance.

At the risk of expressing ban-worthy prejudice, a predominantly Islamic world sounds like a dangerous outcome for pretty much anyone who's not a heterosexual Muslim male. Among other things, the marriage of underage girls to adult men and the execution of rape victims are still widespread within many Islamic nations.

Obviously, this does not apply to all muslims or muslim communities, but its still concerning.

there cant be a civilised society if the state isnt stronger than the religion.  thats why turkey is the only modern muslimic state.