By using this site, you agree to our Privacy Policy and our Terms of Use. Close

Forums - Sales Discussion - Digital console games made $263M in January (63% from PlayStation platforms)

RolStoppable said:
Teeqoz said:
Interesting to know that PS consoles have a higher digital attach rate.

Where do you get that from?

PS consoles have higher digital revenue because the PS4 sells much better than Xbox One. Also, the 63% share of the headline  the top 10, not the total estimated revenue of $263m.

I'm just gonna copy my reply to our dear Prinz alt.

Hi Prinz! Ah, no. These numbers are for 7th+8th gen. If you add PS3 total userbase and PS4 total userbase you get ~105 million. If you do the same for X360 and XBO you get ~96 million. And of course Nintendo has 9 million Wii Us (Does the Wii even have a digital store? It won't have any big dales numbers regardless.)

That means PS has 105 million out of 210 million, which means 50% marketshare for consoles with online storefronts.

It also means Xbox has ~46% marketshare for consoles with online storefronts, and the Wii U has ~4%.

Now even if we assume the Wii U has zero digital sales, which means that the remaining 37% here are all xbox, PS still has a higher attach rate, because it's 63% online sales matketshare versus 50% console marketshare, while for cbox it's 37% online sales marketshare versus 45% console marketshare.

I'll admit it's possible that the Wii U has a higher digital attach ratio, although I don't see it as likely.

But @ the bolded, what?

"Sony’s PlayStation 4 and PlayStation 3 consoles also dominated by making up 63 percent of digital sales on console"

Around the Network

Sony has been advertising and promoting great deals of PSN games since 2012.

kowenicki said:
Kerotan said:
Anyway this just proves what I've been saying. Digital sales on ps4 are colossal. Amazon psn cards and the massive ratings games like gta on the store has proves this. This will equal more profits for Sony as they'll be taking most of the retailers cut for digital plus the production costs are very low.

Have you looked at the top 10?

How does the bolded help Sony in any way shape or form from the titles in this list? 

I'd guess both MS and Sony are making the same or less from digital sales, unless it is their own title.

Where did you get that? In the case of digital games Sony and MS are the retailers. Most of the games cost the same retail or digital. MS and Sony would get the royalties they normally would receive plus the retail cut. Its much better for All parties involved if digitalis sales increase, well except brick and mortar retailers.

End of 2009 Predictions (Set, January 1st 2009)

Wii- 72 million   3rd Year Peak, better slate of releases

360- 37 million   Should trend down slightly after 3rd year peak

PS3- 29 million  Sales should pick up next year, 3rd year peak and price cut

Is this only January sales? If it is that is impressive for GTA V and COD: BO2.

GTAexpert said:
Is this only January sales? If it is that is impressive for GTA V and COD: BO2.

Is it January? That seems like Waaaaaay tooooooo much for that.

Around the Network

I bought digital Hitman Absolution on sale for 5 usd. It was worth no more and I knew it. Shimmy shimmy ya

My Etsy store

My Ebay store

Deus Ex (2000) - a game that pushes the boundaries of what the video game medium is capable of to a degree unmatched to this very day.

kivi95 said:
I have hard time to belive these numbers. Black ops 2? Have they got the numbers from ALL the publishers? Because it seems they missed Ubisoft and how is Fifa15 not in the list but Madden is?

Exactely. I think this list is only about U.S. sales and only about PS3/PS4 and Xbox360/XboxOne. No portable console games. No PC games. Those values do seems waaaay to high for just one month

Ruler said:

http://blog.us.playstation.com/2014/10/07/call-of-duty-advanced-warfare-available-for-ps3-ps4-cross-buy/

http://www.ign.com/articles/2013/08/21/upgrade-call-of-duty-ghosts-from-ps3-to-ps4-for-a-tenner

http://www.destinythegame.com/digital-upgrade

http://www.ign.com/articles/2014/12/23/resident-evil-is-cross-buy-compatible-on-ps3-ps4

I meant digital upgrade and crossbuy

Not all of those apply as this data is only for January of 2015.

RolStoppable said:

I doubt that the 360 and PS3 play a big role in this, so the difference in sales between the One and PS4 is much more important than the figures for the Xbox and PS families.

The 63% share applies to the games from the top 10 list, according to the source. They also completely exclude the Wii U (they have a graph that breaks the percentages down into only PS and Xbox) which could theoretically have had digital sales of CoD: Black Ops 2 and Ghosts. PS platforms do not account for 63% of the digital revenue of the overall console market like the thread title implies. And given how vague the source (superdata) is, it's possible that they define "console market" as only 360, One, PS3 and PS4, so Vita and Nintendo platforms are excluded. That wouldn't be surprising because the website considers itself a service for American and European third party publishers.

The Vita deffinitely isn't included because the source says that PS3 and PS4 (no Vita) combined makes up 63% of total digital console sales, so I'll assume the 3DS, and the Wii U as well isn't included.

But nowhere in the source does it say that the 63% is only for the top 10, and how can you say that last gen doesn't count for much here, when a 2 year old last gen only title is in the top 10?

Also where the hell is Fifa?

do you think steam selling better than psn?