By using this site, you agree to our Privacy Policy and our Terms of Use. Close

Forums - Sales Discussion - Digital console games made $263M in January (63% from PlayStation platforms)

i hope they release this every month, would be very interesting to see.

Around the Network

I have hard time to belive these numbers. Black ops 2? Have they got the numbers from ALL the publishers? Because it seems they missed Ubisoft and how is Fifa15 not in the list but Madden is?

http://gamrconnect.vgchartz.com/thread.php?id=130023&page=1# Official Playstation Vita Thread! Come in and join!!!

WiiStation360 said:
Kerotan said:

In Europe the game only got a digital release which is heavily skewing these numbers.  

That's interesting.  I wonder we will see more digital-first releases going forward.  I would let the developer make more money, and keep people from trading in the game when done.

Yeah it's interesting.  But they didn't do it on purpose.  There was a manufacturing default so they had to delay the retail release by 3 weeks at least.  In future we might see games come out a week earlier for digital.  

kowenicki said:
Kerotan said:
Anyway this just proves what I've been saying. Digital sales on ps4 are colossal. Amazon psn cards and the massive ratings games like gta on the store has proves this. This will equal more profits for Sony as they'll be taking most of the retailers cut for digital plus the production costs are very low.

Have you looked at the top 10?

How does the bolded help Sony in any way shape or form from the titles in this list? 

I'd guess both MS and Sony are making the same or less from digital sales, unless it is their own title.

I don't know the deal but there is a good chance sony takes their normal cut,  plus the retail cut and they might split the production cut with the publisher since they send the game out through their servers.  I'm not sure who takes that but digital sales are definitely a good bit more profitable than retail sales. 

Teeqoz said:
 Hi Prinz! Ah, no. These numbers are for 7th+8th gen. If you add PS3 total userbase and PS4 total userbase you get ~105 million. If you do the same for X360 and XBO you get ~96 million. And of course Nintendo has 9 million Wii Us (Does the Wii even have a digital store? It won't have any big dales numbers regardless.)

That means PS has 105 million out of 210 million, which means 50% marketshare for consoles with online storefronts.

It also means Xbox has ~46% marketshare for consoles with online storefronts, and the Wii U has ~4%.

Now even if we assume the Wii U has zero digital sales, which means that the remaining 37% here are all xbox, PS still has a higher attach rate, because it's 63% online sales matketshare versus 50% console marketshare, while for cbox it's 37% online sales marketshare versus 45% console marketshare.

Total consoles might be the same but id wager that current active users are skewed more towards playstation hence the bigger market share.

Around the Network
Blob said:
Teeqoz said:
 Hi Prinz! Ah, no. These numbers are for 7th+8th gen. If you add PS3 total userbase and PS4 total userbase you get ~105 million. If you do the same for X360 and XBO you get ~96 million. And of course Nintendo has 9 million Wii Us (Does the Wii even have a digital store? It won't have any big dales numbers regardless.)

That means PS has 105 million out of 210 million, which means 50% marketshare for consoles with online storefronts.

It also means Xbox has ~46% marketshare for consoles with online storefronts, and the Wii U has ~4%.

Now even if we assume the Wii U has zero digital sales, which means that the remaining 37% here are all xbox, PS still has a higher attach rate, because it's 63% online sales matketshare versus 50% console marketshare, while for cbox it's 37% online sales marketshare versus 45% console marketshare.

Total consoles might be the same but id wager that current active users are skewed more towards playstation hence the bigger market share.

Still results in a higher digital attach ratio for the console

Neodegenerate said:
Ruler said:

Most if these games in the list were crossbuy

You sure you aren't thinking cross-gen?  Cross-buy means you buy it once and can play it on either platform.  Only one on that list that had that option was the RE remake.

Cod, destiny and battlefild had that too limited time frame

Ruler said:
Neodegenerate said:

You sure you aren't thinking cross-gen?  Cross-buy means you buy it once and can play it on either platform.  Only one on that list that had that option was the RE remake.

In January?  I recall when the system first released there was a cheaper "upgrade" model for it, but no cross-buy where you paid one price and got both games, especially in January of 2015.

PSN do have great deals. So I am pretty sure they get lots of sales but for new games it is little surprising

Neodegenerate said:
Ruler said:

In January?  I recall when the system first released there was a cheaper "upgrade" model for it, but no cross-buy where you paid one price and got both games, especially in January of 2015.

http://blog.us.playstation.com/2014/10/07/call-of-duty-advanced-warfare-available-for-ps3-ps4-cross-buy/

http://www.ign.com/articles/2013/08/21/upgrade-call-of-duty-ghosts-from-ps3-to-ps4-for-a-tenner

http://www.destinythegame.com/digital-upgrade

http://www.ign.com/articles/2014/12/23/resident-evil-is-cross-buy-compatible-on-ps3-ps4

I meant digital upgrade and crossbuy