By using this site, you agree to our Privacy Policy and our Terms of Use. Close

Forums - Gaming Discussion - Dragon Age: Inquisition has restored my faith in gaming

Angelus said:
It was certainly a damn fine game. This Gen's best so far imo, of course I'm a big DA fan, so I'm a bit biased lol

Now I just gotta wait patiently for Witcher 3

Ikr? It certainly deserved all the GOTY awards it got.

The Witcher 3 is going to be beast as well...

Around the Network
bigjon said:
VXIII said:

I honestly found the battle system lacking depth. It doesn't evolve, no need to adapt to different kind of enemies, no need for planning. The best thing to do is always using the strongest ability available. + Magic barrier. The levelling up progress was over simplified as well.
Even when it comes to the story. it is fragmented, accessible only through war table, which kills the sense of progress and having a true deep adventure.

It does have a big world, nice variety in environments, and good quantity of activities.

I found on Nightmare that I had to change my strategy based on 5he type.of enemy? Are you playing on easy or normal?

I have mastered Demon's Souls and Dark Souls, my boy, I always seek challenge

I started on Nightmare, but I changed to normal difficulty later for most of the playthrough ( you can change the difficulty in the options menu ), I even took down two dragons. It was always the same for me... Mage casting Barriers as soon as they are available + the strongest spill available. Cassandra and Iron Bull just did their stuff, given the strongest armor and swords. I cast invisibility and backstap.

The only reason that made me switch to normal is that nightmare only requires higher level and more grinding. I'm ok with that as long as there was more strategy and skill required, but I didn't find any strategic depth in the battle system.

All the combos and other effect the other guy is talking about just came naturally.

Boring battle system and boring side missions. Bioware just made the world a little too big for their own good.

I love me some Dragon Age.

“The fundamental cause of the trouble is that in the modern world the stupid are cocksure while the intelligent are full of doubt.” - Bertrand Russell

"When the power of love overcomes the love of power, the world will know peace."

Jimi Hendrix

PieToast said:
Augen said:
(PC) I loved the original (Origins) and poured over 100 hours in beating 6 times.

(PC) I found DA2 to be a major disappointment, but it was okay. 

(PS4) Inquisition I had really high hopes for. Ten hours in and I am struggling to play this game.  I want so bad to like it because I already care about the world from origins. Thus far my main emotion is utter boredom.  Who thought replacing quick travel to locations with walking, fetch quests, walking, kill few enemies, walking and more walking was a good idea. It is monotonous and feels more like why I don't play MMOs.

I am trying, because I want so badly to enjoy it. I'll keep try, but if I get 20-30 hours in and this is all it is I think I'm done with the series I once adored.

This is one of the biggest flaws in DA:I. It's just jammed with side missions that add little to nothing to the story. DA was a different experience from MMOs and Skyrim but they took a lot of inspiration them so their interpretation of the open world gameplay is quite weird when the main Story quests progress in a semi-linear space. Exploring and doing side quests might give you some rewards, but the equipment is bad and there's no worthy story behind any of them.

My advice is to be selective with your missions, and do companion quests as the only secondary objective from the main quests, while ignoring other side quests for the most part. This way you'll get approval points quicker (I'm using this term very Loosely here) and you'll get more conversation cutscenes so they're just more rewarding. It might be tempting to explore more of the map and do those side quests that accumulate in your quest tab, but they're boring and go on for hours and only give you money and experience when you can get great equipment from crafting. It's also important to make your own weapons and armor because they're better than any of the loot, otherwise you need to grind experience we both established that it's not fun. You might miss a lot of perks this way but this game is a completionists nightmare.

DA:I is a great game and trust me that you'll enjoy it, but I would honestly describe it as a fun game that wastes my time. It could have easily been 40 hours or less if they made better design choices.

Besides being jammed with side-missions, is it comparable to Morrowind more generally? And in that case, is it better or worse? Or is it more comparable with Gothic or any other RPG?
Anyhow, if it's at least good, even if not perfect, I'm quite interested judging from what I read up until now. The fact that my huge backlog means I'd buy it when it will already be at bargain price makes possible flaws even more forgivable.

Stwike him, Centuwion. Stwike him vewy wuffly! (Pontius Pilate, "Life of Brian")
A fart without stink is like a sky without stars.
TGS, Third Grade Shooter: brand new genre invented by Kevin Butler exclusively for Natal WiiToo Kinect. PEW! PEW-PEW-PEW! 

Around the Network
PullusPardus said:
Boring battle system and boring side missions. Bioware just made the world a little too big for their own good.

Wow, you must be really picky. lol

Alby_da_Wolf said:
PieToast said:

Besides being jammed with side-missions, is it comparable to Morrowind more generally? And in that case, is it better or worse? Or is it more comparable with Gothic or any other RPG?
Anyhow, if it's at least good, even if not perfect, I'm quite interested judging from what I read up until now. The fact that my huge backlog means I'd buy it when it will already be at bargain price makes possible flaws even more forgivable.

Sorry. I haven't played any of those games but I did play skyrim. It's certainly more grindy than Skyrim, and exploration is not really that meaningful in comparison. The story does makes up for it though. That's why you need to be selective in choosing what quests to do otherwise you're gonna feel like you're wasting time (unless you like that sort of thing) . Combat is subjective, I'm sure you already know how it is by now.

Read my first post and follow my advice. Just know that it was a nitpicky reply to someone who was already a fan of the series.

.- -... -.-. -..

Mystro-Sama said:

Ok, I don't really make threads like this but something needs to be said about this. I've been playing this game for a couple days now and It's just flat out amazing. It's almost perfect in every aspect, from visuals to lore to gameplay to content. It just grabs you and pulls you into a world with SOOO much  to do that it's almost overwhelming. There are small side quests and missions with their own specific areas with different things to discover. And the scenery... Oh the scenery is just gorgeous, especially forest areas with streams. I don't even remember how many screenshots I took. All this topped off by an engaging and satisfying combat system.

And not so long ago I was beginning to feel like I didn't have fun play games anymore. I would literally just play games because they were there and I paid for them and they were in my cupboard. Now I can't wait to turn on my PS4 and play DA:I. I know EA fucks up a lot but they really redeemed themselves with this one. Hats off to Bioware.

Did anyone else really like this game this much or am I just crazy?

ending was a major letdown. The buildup was better,then the end result,if that makes any sense. I also wish it was just one big map,instead of it being broken down the way it was. There also wasn't enough dungeons and underground parts and what was there felt really short. Other then that it was a really great game,but not as epic as it could have been. 

PieToast said:
Alby_da_Wolf said:

[...]

Sorry. I haven't played any of those games but I did play skyrim. It's certainly more grindy than Skyrim, and exploration is not really that meaningful in comparison. The story does makes up for it though. That's why you need to be selective in choosing what quests to do otherwise you're gonna feel like you're wasting time (unless you like that sort of thing) . Combat is subjective, I'm sure you already know how it is by now.

Read my first post and follow my advice. Just know that it was a nitpicky reply to someone who was already a fan of the series.

Thank you! Yep, from what you say, I guess it shares that little design flaw with Morrowind, but thanks to the stronger story and main quest and following your suggestions if I feel that flaw bugs me or diverts me too much like it did and it's still doing in Morrowing, it should be even easier to overcome and forgive it.

Stwike him, Centuwion. Stwike him vewy wuffly! (Pontius Pilate, "Life of Brian")
A fart without stink is like a sky without stars.
TGS, Third Grade Shooter: brand new genre invented by Kevin Butler exclusively for Natal WiiToo Kinect. PEW! PEW-PEW-PEW! 

Mystro-Sama said:
PullusPardus said:

Wow, you must be really picky. lol

I'm not. I actually like the game. the characters are good and the choices and all that are good. just the worlds feel way too big for their own good. and the side missions are very boring and are MMO-like quality. the previous games' side missions added to the story. this one didn't. Sometimes less is more.

As for the battle system it is way too easy and unintersting. and if you up the difficulty it just becomes tedious. Monsters take way too long to die instead of being difficult and challenging.