By using this site, you agree to our Privacy Policy and our Terms of Use. Close

Forums - Gaming Discussion - Sony's Woes Show Just How Bad Nintendo's Are

It's so funny how people say this. Sure the PS4 is winning on the console side. But I love how nobody likes to talk about on the Handheld side. PS4 is doubling Wii U's sales but the 3DS is quintupling the Vita's. Consoles are only one side of the battle...

Around the Network
RolStoppable said:
When the reception is bad, change what you are doing.
When the reception is good, stay the course.

The market didn't like the GameCube, so Nintendo made the Wii.
The market liked the Wii, so Nintendo followed it up with a console that is like the GameCube.

That's a pretty glaring error. It's idiotic too.

I like this

Sony pretty much advertised the thing until it was ingrained into peoples minds that you had to have a PS4. I remember I couldn't go to any video on a gaming site without hearing that one lady saying 'All my friends who are gamers are getting a PS4.' Show a bunch of dudes in a line and cheering and you get the feeling you have to have it. This stuff Nintendo never did or did not do enough. In this sense Sony crushed Nintendo.

Nintendo is right in that the games speak for themselves, and they do. Its all over the metacritic what Nintendo games can do. But they didn't advertise that way to the core gamer. They never showed the lines at Nintendo World for Bayonetta 2, or the release for Hyrule Warriors limited edition party. Or the videos for the little girl who destroyed all in Smash. There were tons of places they should have advertised like madmen that shows gamers just how enjoyable it is to play a Nintendo console.

At this point Sony can release critical flop after critical flop and it won't hurt them. Their games will sell regardless. Sony has nothing to fear and this generation is theirs. I honestly doubt that anything will swing it in any other direction. There's really no point in arguing about the other consoles vs PS4 at this point. Sony has won. The other 2 should just focus on profitability and ride out the storm.

binary solo said:

Nintendo's problem is that the so called must have games it releases are repeats of franchises that are several generations old.

In terms of exclusives there's virtually no new IP in Nintendo's top line up of games. 

Nintendo is still trying to milk success out of Mario, Zelda and Pokemon after how many years and how many games using those central IP?

*checks year*

*It's 2015*

*people still say this stuff in 2015*

I3LuEI3omI3eR said:
It's so funny how people say this. Sure the PS4 is winning on the console side. But I love how nobody likes to talk about on the Handheld side. PS4 is doubling Wii U's sales but the 3DS is quintupling the Vita's. Consoles are only one side of the battle...

Handhelds have always been irrelevant in the console wars. Not to mention that both handhelds are getting beat by mobiles and are fading into oblivion.

Around the Network

For me the main reason for PS4's success is that it has has a steady stream of games coming all year, this year it already has Dying Light, Evolve and Order among others. I might not have bought any of them but it still gives the impression that it has lots of games to play. While the Wii U has these HUGE droughts with absolutely nothing of note releasing.

Moreover the Wii U is lacking in two critical genres , RPGs for hardcore gamers and sports games for average consumers. 

Its not always about exclusives.

Lawlight said:
I3LuEI3omI3eR said:

Handhelds have always been irrelevant in the console wars. Not to mention that both handhelds are getting beat by mobiles and are fading into oblivion.

Of course it's irrelevant, because they are not consoles? But I fail to see how something that brings Profit to a company is irrelevant. And just just because the 3DS is beating the Vita in a "fading market" doesn't change the fact that... it's still beating it by 5 times the number???

Doesn't matter anyway, all consoles in this gen are a disappointment. There's are reason why many users here said the PS3 is better than the PS4 (and on the flipside, selling more than the Wii U ATM)...

Smear-Gel said:

binary solo said:

Nintendo's problem is that the so called must have games it releases are repeats of franchises that are several generations old.

In terms of exclusives there's virtually no new IP in Nintendo's top line up of games. 

Nintendo is still trying to milk success out of Mario, Zelda and Pokemon after how many years and how many games using those central IP?

*checks year*

*It's 2015*

*people still say this stuff in 2015*

When it's true it's true. Doesn't matter what year it is.

“The fundamental cause of the trouble is that in the modern world the stupid are cocksure while the intelligent are full of doubt.” - Bertrand Russell

"When the power of love overcomes the love of power, the world will know peace."

Jimi Hendrix

naruball said:
RolStoppable said:
When the reception is bad, change what you are doing.
When the reception is good, stay the course.

The market didn't like the GameCube, so Nintendo made the Wii.
The market liked the Wii, so Nintendo followed it up with a console that is like the GameCube.

That's a pretty glaring error. It's idiotic too.

Er, what? The philosophy behind the wiiu was exactly the same as the wii. Create a controller that the masses will like and will buy you console for and keep the console weak to make sure it's cheap enough for the casuals. It was an idea that was praised to death when it was revealed, only to be criticized to death by the same people when sales were lower than expected. Ninty and many of its fans thought it was a great idea because tablets were and still are incredibly popular with the masses and wii was successful despite being weaker than ps360. Things didn't go as expected but the emphasis on the casuals was the same. 

Not really, simply releasing a new type of controller doesn't mean it followed the Wii philosophy. Wii used affordable price+simple to understand controller+new gaming experiences+viral marketing to capture new audiences.

Wii U launched $100 more than Wii (not including the gimped version), reverted back to a "standard" control scheme just with a screen put in the middle, mostly sequels to Wii games thus making them no longer new experiences, and has very little advertising.

Wii was able to bring in new audiences with things like motion controls, nostalgia and party/fitness/dance/music games which were things that werent ever really pushed hard before the Wii. Wii U doesn't really bring much new to the table, the non-traditional gamer doesnt want to spend $300+ on a console that provides the same experiences as Wii and a touch screen controller isn't really new considering DS, smarphones, tablets all released before Wii U.

When the herd loses its way, the shepard must kill the bull that leads them astray.

Kerotan said:
Areal-Llort said:
Who is this nobody and why should I care? Lol.

His opinion is a lot more influential than mine or yours.  I'm sure you think some people care what you write on here. Likewise people obviously respect his. 

He has a point except overall the ps4 has a much better list of games releasing.  3rd partys are bigger than exclusives. 

Very true, for the most part. This phenomena is somewhat disheartening for me, as I've never latched onto very many third-party titles -- and even fewer non-exclusive ones. I just don't feel like enough individual polish goes into an annual multi-plat. Nintendo games have spoiled me, to some extent. Trying to go from Mario Kart 8 or Bayonetta 2 to something like Assassin's Creed (even GTA) is a little painful at times.

Retro Tech Select - My Youtube channel. Covers throwback consumer electronics with a focus on "vid'ya games."

Latest Video: Top 12: Best Games on the N64 - Special Features, Episode 7